Animal Planet & the Deaf

D

Deaf258

I was just watching AP a few minutes ago and they were talking about training dogs for the Deaf. I wondered about it for a bit.. Who has a dog for the Deaf and who will (or thinking about) get one in the future? Please share your experiences! Or more info where to read or watch more about those service dogs.

Service Dogs

Never needed one, but I do remmy a girl in college that had one...it was fascinating to watch them interact...smiles. I do applaud those dogs and their trainers!!!

:applause:

DD

I remember this time when my Mother and I were heading out to Vermont to visit relatives. We passed the VT State Fair and decided to check it out. It was summertime and we had our dog, a labrador, in the car with us. Since we couldn't leave her in the car, we decided to try and pass her off as a hearing dog. Believe it or not, it worked! If you already have a dog that's intelligent and eager to please, I believe there are places where you can also have your dog trained/certified to work as a hearing dog. Unfortunately I don't have any links or resources regarding that.

I love being deaf. :deaf: I need no help with my deafies. I am not a depressed deaf person. I accept being deaf and need NO HELP except help with interpreter at school, interview, etc. I only use dog for fun, love, keep me company anytime, petting, etc. not for my deafies.

*on break with the baby Hope he sleeps good*

This was in 1988:
when I first adopted my dog Lincoln, He was a stray dog found in Lincoln, R.I. So that's how his name came up like that, and I was told he was about 2-3 years old at the time of adoption night, I was under drugs because I had wisdom tooth pulled out (due of infection they had to do 1 tooth emergency pull out and the rest of wisdom teeth has to wait due of insurance Argh).
Anyway. Lincoln realized that I am deaf when I didn't answer the doorbell buzzer. I only wore hearing aids at the time, but that day I didn't wear my hearing aids, Lincoln came up to me and lick my face I was woken up by him.. few days later he knew that I didn't hear very well, so he would run back and forth between the door and buzzer box.. It took me a while to realized he was telling me someone was at the door... and when the phone rang he would look up to see if I was aware of the phone.. I did NOT teach him but He amazed me that he knew I couldn't hear at the time. I had him for 5 years We had to put him to asleep due of him having a rupture disc (3 places) and a herina disc as well, We were told he is about 12 not 7-8 years old.. The dr could surgery on him but few problem.. his age, his heart (not murmur but i think rythm something) and he can NOT walk for 1 year due of surgery on back of leg etc. Lincoln Refused let my ex boyfriend to carry him around or help him.. If he goes closer to Lincoln He will growl or bite him.. He really did NOT like him at all, I was pregnant at the time and can NOT carry him either.. so to put his pain - no longer pain. and the age and no pain for me to watch him either.. He was one of my best dog I ever had! I also had Virgil and He was great too. with the door.. but not the phone or people calling me lol... virgil was afraid of my ex too! Now we have Jake.. I never trained him because he knew I could hear with my implant. except when I don't have it on I wonder if he knew.. grins..

Yes, some of us can train our own pets because pets do know how to communicate with their owners!

Saline--- Thanks for the link..

DD--- I have seen that link last year I think its cool except there is not much of hearing ear pets center like this one.. We had one in New England but they closed down due of not having funds! I think it was called Red Arces something... too bad about it.. There are not much of pet service in usa.. I think there should be more for other needs in their state too.

Wendy

dont need one but I truly love dogs alot so I have one of my own but doesnt have to train her due to my deafness anyway

I sometimes wonder if Zoey knows if I am deaf or not. I do teach her some sign language though, like "no" "sit" "cookies" "potty" etc... and she understands them. I don't have a hearing dog though.

I think it's pointless for hearing dogs. I can understand seeing dogs, but why hearing dogs? We gotta pay extra attention to take care of them. Many owners end up spoiling the dogs. I know a couple of people who have one cuz they just wanted a dog and that was the only way they could get one for free... as well as being trained. They spoiled their dogs so much that it makes me wonder whether they are really "using" the dogs for real.

VamPyroX said:
I think it's pointless for hearing dogs. I can understand seeing dogs, but why hearing dogs? We gotta pay extra attention to take care of them. Many owners end up spoiling the dogs. I know a couple of people who have one cuz they just wanted a dog and that was the only way they could get one for free... as well as being trained. They spoiled their dogs so much that it makes me wonder whether they are really "using" the dogs for real.

I agree with you that it might be pointless to have hearing dogs.
You can train any dog to become one for you anyway. For example, if I was alone at home, and someone came to visit, Zoey would get up and walk very quickly to the door. So, I know someone is here and answer the door. As for telephone ringing, sometimes I notice Zoey's ears moving so I feel the phone and yep, its ringing. It's not so hard!

kuifje75 I sometimes wonder if Zoey knows if I am deaf or not. I do teach her some sign language though, like "no" "sit" "cookies" "potty" etc... and she understands them. I don't have a hearing dog though.

yes Kuifje75, I do believe that your dog zoey can tell you're Deaf because of sense.

I've seen many dogs can sense anyone who Deaf owner of Dogs.. Dogs totally Pretty awesome and picked pieces by ASL.

Unbelievable One of my friend who same my hometown.. They were adopted dog and picked lot of learn ASL.. I came over their place.. When Dog is bad boy.. She sign.. "You're bad boy, Go to Corner". I thought it was joke.. but surprised.. That dog went sit and corner.. Looked their eyes up "staring" at owner.. I looked that dog.. I say unbelivable.. You training him? They said, Nope.. Just simple ASL to that dog.. In my head seems not getting at all.
Other word... When Dog touch kid's food.. Owner staring their dog's eyes.. and says.. What I say??? Dog run and hide in the basement.. Whoa.. what heck Dog knows?? She will take her dog and put into the Cage.. That reason He avoiding and run hide in the basement.. No wonder..
That dog is very smart ever I seen.. She told me , almost like 100 words..
In my mind still puzzled.

Unquie that Dog.. I would love steal thier dog but isn't my type kind of breed.
Their dog is.. Stafford Terrier/Pitbull mixed breed.

I remember one time I was complaining to an RA that I missed my cats, and she looked at me and said "Maybe you should try to convince Res Life that there's a such a thing as a hearing ear cat, so you could have a cat in your room!" :mrgreen: Actually I bet Spin (who's my cat) would probaly make a very good hearing ear cat. She always announces herself when she comes in my room at home. She's woken me up quite a few times with her excited meows! She also knows the I love you sign and when I sign it to her, she headbutts my hand.

yes Kuifje75, I do believe that your dog zoey can tell you're Deaf because of sense.
When I was little I thought my cat Boggles knew I was Hoh b/c to me her meows were silent (she had a very low meow and I have low frequncy loss) In high school I had surgery which amleorated my loss in my left ear (born without ear canals and eardrums) from moderately severe to mild-moderate and then I discovered that Boggles DID make sound when she meowed!

I know that dogs can tell that people are deaf. It is just that when I live with my parents, I speak with my voice all the time and speak with Zoey with my voice a lot. But anyway, I know I don't speak very clear so maybe she knows anyway LOL.

Deaddyke, one of the gals in Utah has cats and her meows are silent too. Cool, huh?

Dogs can learn ASL. I don't think Zoey knows 100 signs though! Maybe more likr 25 to 30 signs, perhaps. maybe if I didn't speak all the time, she might learn more! I think I will do that to my next dog! hee hee

Hm, my friend used to have her service dog because she was getting older and would be left home while her mother went to job so her mother decided to get her a hearing dog...

And today it is one friggin' SPOILED dog... stubborn as hell. Won't listen, he is a "house" pet now... 13 years of service and she decided to forget it and spoiled him to death... still do :lol:

She said that it was not a big deal because she can managed on her own but it was cool for her to have the dog signaling that the knock, phone ring, etc but now the techonology is advanced- light flash, etc so no need for those animals. They can give comfort and care :D

my lilo's only 6 mons old and she knows sit, down. hungree, sleep. shake and knows when its time to cheer on the footballs SHE will get on my shoulders and ask for a piggy back rides LOL!. she knows to respect others the ONLY thing is she's being a smart ass abt the come command. looks at me and snobs me off GRRR shes having * terrible 2s* sheesh

Steel said:
dont need one but I truly love dogs alot so I have one of my own but doesnt have to train her due to my deafness anyway

If you ask me, I don't think the majority of the Deaf population out there really NEEDS a hearing dog due to technological advances. If I had a dog though, I'd consider it, seeing as you can take your dog anywhere you please, be it the grocery store or on a train/airplane!

Back