and another newbie!!

Meliaa

Reaction score
Hi all! :wave: another newbie here! First off I want you to know the very first thread I read, you all tore some dude a new one, so I am sort of posting this with reservation :P

I am female, live in Canada & the registration asked me how many states there are. I guessed wrong too! I have a severe hearing loss since childhood which I guess I have managed to get used to but I am struggling a lot now that I am getting older, mostly at work. I was looking up tips for dealing with this which led me here.

Oh and in concession to my hope of finding friends here I shall make a confession. I can do this since you all are strangers to me. Inside my head I swear like Tony Soprano. It never passes my lips though. I think swearing is a sign of poor language skills. I have somehow decided that doesn't count for typing though since with all the typos people make and shortcuts language skills are failing anyways :) However, I shall be on my best behaviour.

Hi Meliaa -

I know what you mean about swearing vs language skills. I actually think it applies to written language as well.

It's like, if you're about to say ":wave::wave::wave::wave:ing" - well, you know, without the guys waving, and you stop and ask yourself, "what do I really mean", there's probably an adjective you could use instead that would be really accurate. But if you're always saying :wave::wave::wave::wave:ing instead, you start to lose your ability to call those words from your knowledge of the language. Or, worse yet, never develop that knowledge very well.

I went through a time when I swore alot, and at some point made a concerted effort to stop, just to sharpen my skills at finding the right word. It's generally in my brain somewhere but sometimes maybe hiding from me.

That helped alot. These days I do swear, but, you know, when I *want* to. Nice to feel like it's a choice:0

Anyway, welcome to AllDeaf:)

Hi all! :wave: another newbie here! First off I want you to know the very first thread I read, you all tore some dude a new one, so I am sort of posting this with reservation :P

I am female, live in Canada & the registration asked me how many states there are. I guessed wrong too! I have a severe hearing loss since childhood which I guess I have managed to get used to but I am struggling a lot now that I am getting older, mostly at work. I was looking up tips for dealing with this which led me here.

Oh and in concession to my hope of finding friends here I shall make a confession. I can do this since you all are strangers to me. Inside my head I swear like Tony Soprano. It never passes my lips though. I think swearing is a sign of poor language skills. I have somehow decided that doesn't count for typing though since with all the typos people make and shortcuts language skills are failing anyways :) However, I shall be on my best behaviour.

Welcome! We have a lot of folks who have been HOH since childhood.

You probably just have to read back to what that person posted to see why he got tore a new one! :laugh2: :welcome: :wave:

Back