Americans still texting while driving despite bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (Reuters Life!) – A quarter of American cell phone users admit to texting while driving, despite bans in seven U.S. states and several serious accidents recently, according to a report on cell phone use released on Wednesday.

The report also found that some of the worst driving-while-texting, or DWT, offenders live in states where the practice is already banned or where legislation is pending.

Drivers in Tennessee were the most prolific texters, with 42 percent of those questioned admitting to the habit. A ban on using a cell phone to text while driving goes into effect in Tennessee in July.

Yet 83 percent of the 5,000 people surveyed across the United States said they thought DWT should be illegal. The survey was carried out on behalf of mobile voice technology company Vlingo.

Text messaging has been blamed for a number of recent high profile accidents, including a train crash in the Los Angeles area last September in which 25 people were killed, and a Boston trolley crash this month in which almost 50 people were injured.

In both cases, the drivers were found to have been sending and receiving text messages seconds before the crashes.

"Texting is such an integral component of our daily lives, and the cautionary tales about DWT danger have not stemmed the tide," said Dave Grannan, CEO of Vlingo.

Americans still texting while driving despite bans

I can't help myself but need to reach someone. Yet, I'm fine with driving that way when it's not busy traffic.

Seriously, it's not texting but more than that. It's people who fight, call, listen music, read book, masturbate, looking at sky, or more while driving. Insane, isn't it?

Recently, this police officer was indicted for using the computer while he was driving, ran right into the back of someone and that person was killed.

I believe I read somewhere they they were pushing a law to require drivers to have both hands on the wheel when driving.

There was this woman who was breast-feeding, talking on the phone and drinking a soda at the same time while driving!

Now texting....let's get real, people. We're on the road to get to our desired destination, and the vehicle can't drive itself. For those who must text, talk on the phone, breast-feed, eat, etc., then take the damn bus.

I want to arrive alive (Florida slogan)....and have a bumper sticker on my car that says..."Get off the phone and drive!"

Same as for texting. The roads are bad enuf with road rages....Now we've got people who are "blind driving" because of the texting. If ya gotta text, then pull over, same as for the phone, kids fighting, etc.

Won't happen, tho.....people bend the laws to the extreme. Maybe a few days in jail would be better, or a $1,000.00 fine! Losing their license for 6 months, and having to re-take the test again.

this is why my Sidekick LX stays in my pocket the whole time I'm driving. If I absolutely must answer a text, I do it if I'm going to be at a stop light long enough or in a parking lot where I'm parked. But definitely while not driving.

see.. thats why i never texting while im driving! nor ride with somebody who texts.. whether they re driving smoothing. i wouldnt ride with them!! :nono:

My friend still does it, even though she got pulled over 5 times for texting her phone!!!! Unbelievable! *shakes my head* I told her many times not to do it but yet she doesn't listen.

The law was enacted for specific reason, that way it makes it alot easier to blame on driver if they caught texting while driving and cause accident.

Its easier to blame on somebody if they break the law.

Also to help insurance company jack up premium if you get caught.

My friend still does it, even though she got pulled over 5 times for texting her phone!!!! Unbelievable! *shakes my head* I told her many times not to do it but yet she doesn't listen.

Next time you are riding with her, ask to hold her phone while she drives. If she doesn't have it, she can't answer it. If she doesnt hand over the phone, then refuse to ride with her, and you offer to drive.

If she is driving and she starts texting while driving, rip her phone from her hands and toss it out the widow. She'll learn then if she's lost her phone.

Glutton for punishment, she is. :roll:

As of May 13th, the Governor of Tennessee signed the driving while texting ban into law. This law will go into effect by July 1st. Write this down on your calender: The start of the ban on texting while driving. Good luck Tennesseans!

I text sometimes while I drive but I always keep my eyes on the road at all times making sure its all good and safe as I text so...I would only text when I'm driving in a straight line. Not in a curve line or whatever.

As of May 13th, the Governor of Tennessee signed the driving while texting ban into law. This law will go into effect by July 1st. Write this down on your calender: The start of the ban on texting while driving. Good luck Tennesseans!

That's sucks but thanks for remain me when visit TN in anytime, I'm not very far from TN.

It's the same old "it won't happen to me" routine for everyone.

They do it until it happens to them. :roll:

I'm guilty of this. I try not to do it but sometimes i can't help myself if it's a long, straight road or if it can't wait a few mins

What would be some examples of situations where texting needs to be done immediately? I know emergencies are one, but what else?

I text sometimes while I drive but I always keep my eyes on the road at all times making sure its all good and safe as I text so...I would only text when I'm driving in a straight line. Not in a curve line or whatever.

How can someone look at a cell phone and the road at the same time? Is that really possible? I'm asking not to be critical. I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I was born totally blind, so I've never been able to observe this for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back