AMC Theatres Announce Captioning!

Look up Captionfish.com and select your state and nearest cities respectfully.

CV = CaptiView Closed Captioned
OC = Open Captioned
RW = Rear Window Captioned

i just downloaded the app. I live in the dayton area. I looked up at some movie theaters near me, the only available movie theater that has CC is in piqua. the mall: The Greene has NO captions avaliable, and its the closest one near me. none of the other movie theaters has any CC availiable except for piqua and huber heights, but huber heights has like only 1 or 2 movies with CC but none i would like to watch. Piqua seems to have more CC availiable on a lot of Movies but it would be too far away to drive. almost an hour there and an hour back.

i just downloaded the app. I live in the dayton area. I looked up at some movie theaters near me, the only available movie theater that has CC is in piqua. the mall: The Greene has NO captions avaliable, and its the closest one near me. none of the other movie theaters has any CC availiable except for piqua and huber heights, but huber heights has like only 1 or 2 movies with CC but none i would like to watch. Piqua seems to have more CC availiable on a lot of Movies but it would be too far away to drive. almost an hour there and an hour back.

Piqua is about 27 miles away from Dayton so it should take about 30 mins to drive one way.

I have been using RWC and CaptiView for the last few years in Canadian movie theaters. (Toronto's ScotiaBank Theatre, as well as the SilverCity in Ottawa).

Summary:
- I now prefer CaptiView, now having used both
- CaptiView theaters have more captioned movies than RWC theaters.
- CaptiView is brighter; CaptiView has bigger text (in terms of angular vision coverage); compensates for the refocussing requirement
- On a per-screen basis, CaptiView is cheap to install, if the cinema is already digital projection (especially if Doremi equipment). For one screen, RWC may be cheaper, but for equipping a whole digital multiplex...
- You have to refocus while driving anyway: car road vs car dashboard

RWC is easier for focussing (especially if you strategically sit exactly between the screen and the LED marquee at the rear wall of the theatre).

However, the text on the CaptiView system is much bigger and brighter than RWC so that compensates. I can speedread at a glance, so the focus burden is pretty low. Sometimes I can even read the text without refocussing. The CaptiView display is on a bendable arm. My tactic is to bend the CaptiView display to be as far away from my face as possible (about 2 feet away) so that refocussing between the screen and the CaptiView is not a hassle at all. Once adjusted properly, it just like driving on the road (focussing on driving) - and refocussing on the speedometer dash or GPS (focussing inside car). Try not to adjust CaptiView closer than about two feet in front of your face, it will greatly eliminate eye strain for most. It also helps if you're sitting in the middle of the theatre, rather than the rear of the theatre; the focal plane is closer, so less refocussing effort.

Generally, I now prefer CaptiView because it is flexible: The display can be carried to any movie theatre, and is cheaper to install than the RWC system. Most theaters that have CaptiView have it functional in more cinema rooms than RWC, so there's more choice of captioned movies. Cheaper to install means more theatres can support the captioning system. You only need a few caption displays per multiplex (unless the whole deaf university goes to the theatre all at once -- uh oh). I like CaptiView better because CaptiView theaters have more captioned movies!!!

CaptiView works over a Bluetooth-like wireless signal, so make sure that when theaters install CaptiView, their transmitting antenna is very well located. And users adjust CaptiView with a clear line of sight to the rear of the room (Where the antenna probably is located). I've had reception problems if I held the CaptiView low, it always worked better when the CaptiView was raised very high above and/or forward. I've gotten 5 free movie tickets from my complaints about CaptiView problems, but these days it is now working very reliably. (I left the movie room in the first 20 minutes of the movie to demand adjustment). I must've been a guinea pig, but the 5 free movie tickets make me happy. Anyway, AMC has the burden of ensuring that the CaptiView radio reception is reliable, by properly positioning the central antenna in an optimal location; it will make a huge difference. There will be glitches during the first few months of testing, expect them. When you run into problems, write down a notes and report to customer service (preferably step out of the theater early in the movie), so that they can eventually get people to make adjustments to reliability as well as replace defective CaptiView units. (I have fond memories: Captiview unit #05 at ScotiaBank Theatre was a dreaded dud unit for a few months -- but it was always a free-movie-ticket earning machine until they finally fixed the defective CaptiView unit #05)

Overall, I like Captiview for the potential to cheaply add captioning; and its potential to eventually allow almost all movies at all screens at the theater to become captioned. CaptiView is also fully 3D compatible, too.

Looking forward to Captiview - when the RWC came out I drove from Barrie to Toronto to check it out. I like to be closer to front to see at church and meetings. It took me a few minutes to clue it RWC is a mirror and was wondering why the print was so small and and to move back to make the print bigger. Captiview looks good - sit any place in theatre and have good size print, also not blocked if someone stands up behind you!

I have been using RWC and CaptiView for the last few years in Canadian movie theaters. (Toronto's ScotiaBank Theatre, as well as the SilverCity in Ottawa).

Summary:
- I now prefer CaptiView, now having used both
- CaptiView theaters have more captioned movies than RWC theaters.
- CaptiView is brighter; CaptiView has bigger text (in terms of angular vision coverage); compensates for the refocussing requirement
- On a per-screen basis, CaptiView is cheap to install, if the cinema is already digital projection (especially if Doremi equipment). For one screen, RWC may be cheaper, but for equipping a whole digital multiplex...
- You have to refocus while driving anyway: car road vs car dashboard

RWC is easier for focussing (especially if you strategically sit exactly between the screen and the LED marquee at the rear wall of the theatre).

However, the text on the CaptiView system is much bigger and brighter than RWC so that compensates. I can speedread at a glance, so the focus burden is pretty low. Sometimes I can even read the text without refocussing. The CaptiView display is on a bendable arm. My tactic is to bend the CaptiView display to be as far away from my face as possible (about 2 feet away) so that refocussing between the screen and the CaptiView is not a hassle at all. Once adjusted properly, it just like driving on the road (focussing on driving) - and refocussing on the speedometer dash or GPS (focussing inside car). Try not to adjust CaptiView closer than about two feet in front of your face, it will greatly eliminate eye strain for most. It also helps if you're sitting in the middle of the theatre, rather than the rear of the theatre; the focal plane is closer, so less refocussing effort.

Generally, I now prefer CaptiView because it is flexible: The display can be carried to any movie theatre, and is cheaper to install than the RWC system. Most theaters that have CaptiView have it functional in more cinema rooms than RWC, so there's more choice of captioned movies. Cheaper to install means more theatres can support the captioning system. You only need a few caption displays per multiplex (unless the whole deaf university goes to the theatre all at once -- uh oh). I like CaptiView better because CaptiView theaters have more captioned movies!!!

CaptiView works over a Bluetooth-like wireless signal, so make sure that when theaters install CaptiView, their transmitting antenna is very well located. And users adjust CaptiView with a clear line of sight to the rear of the room (Where the antenna probably is located). I've had reception problems if I held the CaptiView low, it always worked better when the CaptiView was raised very high above and/or forward. I've gotten 5 free movie tickets from my complaints about CaptiView problems, but these days it is now working very reliably. (I left the movie room in the first 20 minutes of the movie to demand adjustment). I must've been a guinea pig, but the 5 free movie tickets make me happy. Anyway, AMC has the burden of ensuring that the CaptiView radio reception is reliable, by properly positioning the central antenna in an optimal location; it will make a huge difference. There will be glitches during the first few months of testing, expect them. When you run into problems, write down a notes and report to customer service (preferably step out of the theater early in the movie), so that they can eventually get people to make adjustments to reliability as well as replace defective CaptiView units. (I have fond memories: Captiview unit #05 at ScotiaBank Theatre was a dreaded dud unit for a few months -- but it was always a free-movie-ticket earning machine until they finally fixed the defective CaptiView unit #05)

Overall, I like Captiview for the potential to cheaply add captioning; and its potential to eventually allow almost all movies at all screens at the theater to become captioned. CaptiView is also fully 3D compatible, too.

Thank you for sharing your insights on the CaptiView technology. A local theatre here is going to install it sometimes this quarter. I am looking forward to a fully accessible theatre.

What about a new technology which called Sony access glasses aka Sony-DV. Sony made a deal with regal cinemas and its successful. This is way better than RV, OC, and CR.

What about a new technology which called Sony access glasses aka Sony-DV. Sony made a deal with regal cinemas and its successful. This is way better than RV, OC, and CR.
I decided to check out Captionfish.com to see what's up. Wow! Unbelievable! Almost all local theaters within 60 miles from my home provide Sony-DV now for MANY movies. Maybe one day I will try it out. That will be interesting to find out why these glasses are popular now.

I hate those RWC systems too because they're too twitchy. I have to stay absolutely still or the mirror gets shifted out of focus. OC is the only one I really like. The CaptiView technology looks interesting though because of how theaters can make movies more accessible without having to go through such hoops.

I hate those RWC systems too because they're too twitchy. I have to stay absolutely still or the mirror gets shifted out of focus. OC is the only one I really like. The CaptiView technology looks interesting though because of how theaters can make movies more accessible without having to go through such hoops.
I prefer OC, too but unfortunately there are fewer movies with OC today. Damnit!

Back