Amazon Delivery employees

SneakerNet

My IQ: 12
Premium Member
Hi Guys! Anyone who work for Amazon that deliver packages and use Amazon truck or van, I'm curious does Amazon truck provide GPS or built in GPS?? Someone asked me if I have any GPS that I no longer use and she need one? I'm puzzled about it.

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
I doubt Amazon provides GPS to their drivers. They give their drivers a mobile device that a customer tracks the exact location of their package(s) and gives them time frame when it arrives for delivery. They scan the package and take picture at the doorstep or porch as a proof of delivery. I'm not sure if Amazon mobile device have map to guide the drivers. I know how it feels running routes blind (unfamiliar areas) and it makes things difficult for the drivers. Have seen it at my work where a few cover drivers ran his/her route blind.

SneakerNet

My IQ: 12
Premium Member
Thanks Calvin, I just learn more about this person. The reason she asked for GPS is because she now got a job at Amazon and she have mobile phone but no data plan. She couldn't afford it at the moment. So She need GPS to find nearest free wifi location like Starbucks or whatever and use her phone to check things out during her break. She can't use Amazon GPS because it's a fix route planner. She can't add new destination/stop in Amazon GPS.

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Ah got it. There is free wifi locator app but since she doesn't have data plan.. maybe I can suggest to ask someone at gas station or ask her customer before her break starts. Doesn't hurt to ask for a little help from someone.. or text a friend to look it up for her.

Yeah I can't add anything on a company mobile device either. The department I work in had started using mobile device since spring which took a bit of time getting used to.

Lysander

There are ways to set the phone to attach to any open wifi. And I know that many Comcast customers have an automatic open wifi on their routers. She would have to be a Comcast customer, but that might be an option. I know that since I'm a Comcast customer anytime my phone is near a Comcast router, it will automatically connect.