Amazingly stupid question about CI's.

CanYouRepeatThat?

Reaction score
OK. I'm looking ahead at the possibility of a cochlear implant down the road. A long way if I'm lucky but one never knows. But I'm curious, and this obviously illustrates my ignorance of the technology, but why does the sound processor need to be worn on the ear like a BTE aid? Seems to me the actual external ear is useless. Why can't a sound processor be worn around the neck, or in a arm band, or snazzy hat? Why does it have to resemble a classic BTE aid in form and positioning?

Ridicule me if you must. ;)

Do more research. ;)
Advanced Bionics has on off the ear version. But their on the ear version with the t-mic that hangs just in front of the ear canal gives a more natural “sound” because of the directionality of where the sound is coming from.
The other 2 brands have on the head processors

Do more research. ;)
Advanced Bionics has on off the ear version. But their on the ear version with the t-mic that hangs just in front of the ear canal gives a more natural “sound” because of the directionality of where the sound is coming from.

I guess I don't understand the directional aspect. Seems to me if the "sound" is being picked up by an external mic and transmitted directly into the implant, the perception of the sound would be the same regardless of the mic's positioning. Unless what you mean is that with the mic at the ear, it's picking up sounds from the perspective of where a hearing person would perceive them?

Do more research. ;)
Advanced Bionics has one off the ear version. But their on the ear version with the t-mic that hangs just in front of the ear canal gives a more natural “sound” because of the directionality of where the sound is coming from.

And that Advanced Bionics off the ear version is waterproof. Thus, many use it for swimming rather than have to put the behind the ear version in a special case.

I guess I don't understand the directional aspect. Seems to me if the "sound" is being picked up by an external mic and transmitted directly into the implant, the perception of the sound would be the same regardless of the mic's positioning. Unless what you mean is that with the mic at the ear, it's picking up sounds from the perspective of where a hearing person would perceive them?
Basically, yes, a more natural "hearing". I wouldn't say it's a big difference, but many prefer to use the t-mic (the mic that hangs in front of the ear). I'm currently using a clip for one of my processors and am wearing it in my hair. I'm listening to the TV and it sounds the same but that may be because I till have the other one on my ear and the t-mic is still forward.

My head is spinning. Waterproof? How about the jungle, where cats twitch their ears?
It is 2028. I am a robot. I am a robot. ;)

Basically, yes, a more natural "hearing". I wouldn't say it's a big difference, but many prefer to use the t-mic (the mic that hangs in front of the ear). I'm currently using a clip for one of my processors and am wearing it in my hair. I'm listening to the TV and it sounds the same but that may be because I till have the other one on my ear and the t-mic is still forward.

Not having one, I am not sure but wonder if the comparison of how the same thing sounds different in different parts of a room would be appropriate?

OK. I think I know what you mean. My Starkey Halos are Made for iPhone aids, and as such I can use the app for various purposes, one allows the phone to be used as an external wireless mic. I could set it in the middle of the table and the sound gets streamed to the aids. But yeah, it sounds unnatural, probably because the resulting sound in my ear doesn't match what I'd expect with regards to loudness of particular voices and positioning. (Or, I could "forget" and accidentally leave my phone in someone's office, then secretly stream their conversation to my aids after I've left the room. But that would be wrong. I guess.)

My head is spinning. Waterproof? How about the jungle, where cats twitch their ears?
It is 2028. I am a robot. I am a robot. ;)

I was looking at some CI pages today just to familiarize myself with what's out there, and I have to admit some of it looked really cool. (Such as it is.) I was looking at the Nucleus 7 stuff and thought, "I gotta get me some of this!"

Silly of course. But now I know why others' eyes light up when I show off my Halos and phone/music/ integration. They think it'd be great to have that! LOL.

I was on a conference call using my FM system and really, really, had to go to the ladies room. I heard the whole meeting while I was away from my desk (helped that the ladies room isn't too far from my desk, but it streamed through the walls. No, they could not hear me. The FM is only "one way". :D

You should look for online support groups for the 3 manufacturers. On FB and if they have forums. I have Advanced Bionics (AB) and they have a great forum and FB group. The forum is here: hearingjourney.com We welcome questions form anyone. We even welcome non AB recipients though we tell them we can't answer specifics about their brand.

(Or, I could "forget" and accidentally leave my phone in someone's office, then secretly stream their conversation to my aids after I've left the room. But that would be wrong. I guess.)
I was on a conference call using my FM system and really, really, had to go to the ladies room. I heard the whole meeting while I was away from my desk (helped that the ladies room isn't too far from my desk, but it streamed through the walls. No, they could not hear me. The FM is only "one way". :D

Hehehehe. I did that once or twice, back when I was attending my first course in Computer Programming. I used an FM System at that time (and not an interpreter though looking back I wish I had). There were a few times I had to run to the bathroom down the hall... and still heard the lecture going on. I also had instances when the instructor would have to go outside to talk to somebody 'privately'... one almost always forgot to turn off the transmitter/mic lmao... Oops... sometimes I'd turn down my receiver. Once in a while he'd remember "oh wait need to turn this off". Bummer that I never got to hear any of them go to the bathroom...

(Or, I could "forget" and accidentally leave my phone in someone's office, then secretly stream their conversation to my aids after I've left the room. But that would be wrong. I guess.)

Hehehehe.
I did that once or twice, back when I was attending my first course in Computer Programming. I used an FM System at that time (and not an interpreter though looking back I wish I had). There were a few times I had to run to the bathroom down the hall... and still heard the lecture going on. I also had instances when the instructor would have to go outside to talk to somebody 'privately'... one almost always forgot to turn off the transmitter/mic lmao... Oops... sometimes I'd turn down my receiver. Once in a while he'd remember "oh wait need to turn this off". Bummer that I never got to hear any of them go to the bathroom...

I want to add to the FM stories!
I noticed this restroom break ability with the system (Personal PA by Williams) that is in our church. So I suggested to some of the young mothers that they might want to pickup a receiver box that comes with an earbud on a cord to turn on and take along if they needed to get out with their baby.

I have also turned the system on and taken a mike and receiver to the Fellowship Hall (it is beside the Sanctuary but in the basement) for a meeting. Then there is the time that quite a number of us were working down there during a Sunday morning service getting ready for a fund raising dinner. The guy that was our Council President at the time got out one of the receivers and plugged one of the old computer speakers we had on hand into it. It was enough for all the hearing people down there to listen to the service!

I have the Cochlear Nucleus 7, and when I tire of wearing it behind the ear, I roll up a bandanna into a headband and tie it around my head. Then I just pop the behind the ear microphone into the headband. I usually wear it this way at home.

Back