Am i the only one that hates their hearing aids?

Rom

Reaction score
I positively hate my hearing aids, not because they don't work, but because they make it so I hear everyyyything. I think I went without them for so long that now that I have a 20 year old unaided loss, it'll take me that long to get used to them, but because I don't like them I never wear them :)). Should I start a daily requirement for having them in?

Yes, wear them every day. You can always work up to full time wear by increasing your wear by an extra hour per day and within a few weeks you will be wearing them all day long. My audiologist has a poster on her wall that says: "Remember you have to hear what you don't want to hear, to hear what you want to hear!" This is very true and the funny thing is your brain eventually learns to shut off what you don't like hearing. Good luck!

If your HA's have been sitting on a shelf for that long, the first thing you need to do is go to an audiologist, and get your hearing tested. They are highly unlikely to have the equipment and software which would retune them. You will need new ones, and you will likely be much happier with them, because of advances in technology. Your audi will have the volume fairly low, then increase the volume over several visits, so your brain can adjust gradually to close to normal volume. Untreated hearing loss increases the likelihood of age-related dementia.

Yes... referring to the above-- Audiologist first... who knows you might be able to find a better hearing aid now that won't drive you crazy. Then build up time "on".. maybe start with an hour then increment up 30 to 60 minutes or however you feel comfy. It's okay to take them off at home (I do all the time- why would I want them in when I'm not using them?).

"Remember you have to hear what you don't want to hear, to hear what you want to hear!" This is very true and the funny thing is your brain eventually learns to shut off what you don't like hearing.

Heh... not necessarily... Born deaf, hearing aids since the age of 2 and I STILL cannot shut off "what I don't like hearing". It's ALL there and AMPLIFIED.

Blah.

If your HA's have been sitting on a shelf for that long, the first thing you need to do is go to an audiologist, and get your hearing tested. They are highly unlikely to have the equipment and software which would retune them. You will need new ones, and you will likely be much happier with them, because of advances in technology. Your audi will have the volume fairly low, then increase the volume over several visits, so your brain can adjust gradually to close to normal volume. Untreated hearing loss increases the likelihood of age-related dementia.

I don't think he's had his hearing aids for 20 years. It sounds like he has needed them for 20 years and recently got them and can't stand all the noises he's now hearing.

Yes... referring to the above-- Audiologist first... who knows you might be able to find a better hearing aid now that won't drive you crazy. Then build up time "on".. maybe start with an hour then increment up 30 to 60 minutes or however you feel comfy. It's okay to take them off at home (I do all the time- why would I want them in when I'm not using them?).

Heh... not necessarily... Born deaf, hearing aids since the age of 2 and I STILL cannot shut off "what I don't like hearing". It's ALL there and AMPLIFIED.

Blah.
The more severe your hearing loss is the more likely you will have problems because of the reduced distance between your SRT, MCL and UCL, if you have recruitment or hyperacusis this can even be a problem with less severe losses.

I don't think he's had his hearing aids for 20 years. It sounds like he has needed them for 20 years and recently got them and can't stand all the noises he's now hearing.
I was also unsure. However, if they are new, he would have a current audi to go to with that question. Therefore, I went with that assumption. Whichever; he needs to see a professional in real life.

Hah, that's up to you. I have two hearing aids and I wear them less than half the time. Some people used to complain that I looked away from them even before they are finished speaking to me, what was the problem, did I refuse to hear what they have to say, it is so insulting, blah blah. (I looked away as soon as I got the gist of what they were saying, you know?) I used to put a compassionate and wise expression on my face as I explained that since I am lipreading, my brain needs time to assimilate all the information being given, thus I allow it time to get up to speed. Worked every time.
'Course, I look at them with laser-point steadfastness now. Mwuhh huh huh.

I prefer my HA's over "please speak a little louder, get fairly close, and let me see your lips." If it is a guy, it sounds like a come-on. Of course, if there is a bushy mustache involved, I don't know what to do.

Hi all! I apologize for the confusion. My loss went unaided for 20 years. I only just got my hearing aids a year ago. They're perfectly tuned and everything, I just can't stand hearing everything :)

I do have to say, i hate hearing everything. My ha are on mute for most of my day haha. I'm not going to say I hate my ha but I'm won't say I love them either.

Hi all! I apologize for the confusion. My loss went unaided for 20 years. I only just got my hearing aids a year ago. They're perfectly tuned and everything, I just can't stand hearing everything :)
Then get you audi to turn them down. He can also lower the amplification on the frequencies which irritate you. Gradually he can then turn them up. Simple. Just because the tuning matches your audiogram profile doesn't mean that they are perfectly tuned.

Then get you audi to turn them down. He can also lower the amplification on the frequencies which irritate you. Gradually he can then turn them up. Simple. Just because the tuning matches your audiogram profile doesn't mean that they are perfectly tuned.

My aid is about three years old and has a volume button that I can use to turn everything up or down. It is not as selective as what an audi can do but can be a real help when things are loud or soft.

My aid is about three years old and has a volume button that I can use to turn everything up or down. It is not as selective as what an audi can do but can be a real help when things are loud or soft.
The sound of fans masks what I want to hear. I have a setting that lowers that reduces the volume of those frequencies so I can hear other things.

When I first got HA's everything was loud for probably the first couple of weeks and then with followup adjustments it only lasted a few days before everything sounded normal again, I was however, wearing them full time from day one. My wife and sister have some recruitment issues which makes some sounds intolerable.

I hate wearing mine all day. I can wear them for a few hours, driving or listening to music, etc., but then I'm so ready to take them off for the rest of the day.

I could not give two shits about having to listen to the tv. I love the CC. I love the total peace and quiet. Love sleeping through thunderstorms.

Turning up or down my volume control does NOT change the fact that I hate hearing so much and does not change the fact that not all sounds are nice to hear as even with a lower volume the sound(s) are STILL amplified.

Maybe it IS because of my MCL/UCL/SRT... I don't know.. I can tell you that my MCL and UCL are the exact same dB level- always has been. Can't think off the top of my head with the SRT (my 'office' is currently a mess so not looking for audiogram right now).

The volume control is a devil in its own right. Too high, you get squeaks, feedback, distortion, sounds that don't exactly sound like soun. Too low you ain't getting diddly squat speech wise (at least for me) but hey.. no more annoying sounds... Hmmm....

Yes there are days I'd rather go au naturale but...thanks to the stupid world we live in... and my upbringing (aka no ASL etc) it ain't easy.

Not all HAs have volume controls.

Back