Allergies worsen deafness?

Sahara4Ever

Reaction score
I don't know anyone who is deaf so I am so glad I joined this forum upon my bf's recommendations. I've been experiencing a pretty bad allergy season. I went to the audiologist and she said I have high freq hearing loss in my good ear. I am 100% deaf in my left ear. Can this be caused by allergies? My drainage is so bad that I'm starting to get bronchitis. It happens every other year. It starts with dripping in the sinus cavity and goes down to the lungs. I get dizzy every now and then. The hearing goes in and out depending on whether I yawn. I've taken antibiotics but it hasn't gone away. So now I'm taking:
1. Allegra- get rid of sneezing
2. Pseudoephed- pseudoephedrine to clear
3. Mucinex- expectorant and cough suppressant
4. Dremamine- for the dizziness.
It is kinda like being on a plane.

The audiologist said allergy cannot cause high freq hearing loss but I think she is wrong. What are other people's experience? My parents are both doctors and they have very different clinical manners. My mom is much more gentle than my dad but both have been wrong plenty. You'll have to excuse me because I am pretty comfortable in pointing out when doctors are wrong.
Do you guys think the doctor is wrong? How dow allergies affect your hearing?

I do not have an issue with allergies but lose hearing when I have a bad cold/flu. Most people experience this but it is temporary. For me the loss is permenant. Doctors have told me for years that it is impossible to have permenant loss from a cold - online research mostly says the same - but this is wrong.

Last year I found a site with a forum where others posted similar unusual hearing loss. You may find others on this site with similar issues you have:

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/ear-problems-3342

I do not have an issue with allergies but lose hearing when I have a bad cold/flu. Most people experience this but it is temporary. For me the loss is permenant. Doctors have told me for years that it is impossible to have permenant loss from a cold - online research mostly says the same - but this is wrong.

Last year I found a site with a forum where others posted similar unusual hearing loss. You may find others on this site with similar issues you have:

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/ear-problems-3342
Thank you for the link. I know that if it is allergy related it would be temporary. I have been waiting for the allergy season to be over. Usually, it ends when Fall begins but this year has been unusually warm. It is still in the 80s here in Orlando, FL. My allergies is taking forever to go away! Looks like I am just gonna have to wait and then do another hearing test.
I do believe hearing loss can be caused by allergies or colds but the doctor said high-frequency hearing loss is always a sign of aging and not allergies. That can't be true.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. I know that if it is allergy related it would be temporary. I have been waiting for the allergy season to be over. Usually, it ends when Fall begins but this year has been unusually warm. It is still in the 80s here in Orlando, FL. My allergies is taking forever to go away! Looks like I am just gonna have to wait and then do another hearing test.
I do believe hearing loss can be caused by allergies or colds but the doctor said high-frequency hearing loss is always a sign of aging and not allergies. That can't be true.
Then I much had been born a lot older than I realize b/c I was born with a high frequency hearing lost !

Thank you. I knew it wasn't just aging. I've compared my test from this year to 2010 and my good ear isn't looking so good. I'm gonna go make an appointment with an ENT as soon as the allergy clears.

Wow thank you so much that article was really helpful. Yay maybe the right ear problems are just temporary

I've heard of some people losing their hearing (generally temporarily) with severe allergies- mostly due to being "stuffed up". I have no idea if it would actually cause permanent damage... it could. Anything could happen.

Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease can be exacerbated by allergies - to such an extent that allergy shots have allowed some patients to be weened off of steroids when nothing else did the trick. What happened to the hearing in your deaf ear?

Hmm... really now?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/top-hearing-loss/story?id=10973677

It said smoking cigarettes can make your hearing worst , I am glad I never cigarettes . Such a nasty habit !

It only says that smokers may have more difficulties hearing higher pitched sounds not that they'll lose their hearing.

Several members of my family smoked a great deal before they quit...none as far as I know have shown any damage to their hearing. Grandmother smoked for some 70 years (she didn't smoke the last year of her life tho) and her hearing was perfectly fine. We were more worried about other things.

Back