All about diesel power!

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

New diesels are quieter, more powerful and cleaner. Altho they got lot of smog/particulate filters and other stuff to make it cleaner. It would be still dirty if it didn't have those stuff.

Why? They are using high technology electronic computer controllers. I've reading your old thread "A Diesel Discussion thread". Good old thread story.

That is fact on and after 2007 models.

The problem with that is that can't throw in just any Kerosene based fuel in it (Kerosene, heating oil, etc). I rarely do that and reserve it for emergency. Like there is no Diesel around available and that is very rare it would happen.

Correct, started 2007 model year however the computer controlled diesel vehicles were starting in 1996 for GM and Ford medium/ heavy duty trucks according to the emission control systems application, I think.

This does makes sense and I think you are correct too.

Correct, started 2007 model year however the computer controlled diesel vehicles were starting in 1996 for GM and Ford medium/ heavy duty trucks according to the emission control systems application, I think.

My wife and I have talking about possible give Subby a try. If there was Diesel available, we wouldn't have problem buy one.

I avoid VW Diesels only with newer models, they are crazy and insane on cost of repairs. I know because I am former owner of VW Jetta Diesel and I get billed for repairs at least 600 dollars every 6 months, not acceptable for me.

I highly doubt that they are using Diesel more than Gasoline, for one reason, the acceleration is worse than gas. I could be wrong for newer one.

Newer diesel engines come with VGT (Variable Geometry Turbocharger) that help better accelerate and reduce lags by mean good fuel mileage and lower emissions. Also electronic
fuel injection systems.

Yup, Diesel were built to last technically forever. That is because Diesel itself is oil based where gasoline is vapor based. This gives cylinders good lubricants while gasoline based don't.

False, Diesel last longer because they are built better to handle the much higher compression ratios. I have a 2005 VW Jetta TDI it takes the engine 60,000 miles to "break in" compared to few hundred miles in gasoline engine...

Newer diesel engines come with VGT (Variable Geometry Turbocharger) that help better accelerate and reduce lags by mean good fuel mileage and lower emissions. Also electronic
fuel injection systems.

Deafsmog tech is correct. if you drove one you'd be surprised. while its horsepower is lower than the gasoline version of the same car, it's tourqe is much higher... torque is what gives the car its accelaration...or power..

I've reading the VW TDI engine issues from iATN forum, all of them says BEW (engine code) is known for camshaft wear such as flat camshaft lobes that were caused wrong motor oil, must use VW 505-01 oil (available from dealer). No other motor oil used.
BEW engines use rubber timing belts, sounds easy. Wait a minute, you can't do the timing belt job WITHOUT special tools and scan tool (VAG- COM or Ross-tech). The scan tool uses to set final injector timing because the injectors are cam driven.
Another problem is Dual Mass Flywheel that the engine develops vibrates at idle and then disappear while shifting manual tranny. Replace new dual mass flywheel along new clutch assy (OEM parts)

Deafsmog. your correct that the BEW engines are having camshaft wear. not all of them do.. some do.. mine has 160,000 miles now on my 2005 VW jetta TDI and it has no cam wear.

timing belt is no big deal.. special tools are nothing more than lock up pin, 6 mm hex wrench you can buy tools and belt & water pump for $250.00
Vag com is used to check injector timing after done it should be 0.0 to 0.5 for Jetta while Passat seem to like 0,5 to 1.0 if the lock up pin slides out freely your about spot on..

the dealers and shops ask about $1200-$1600 to do it. it takes me about 4 hours to do. not really difficult to do. Virbration is more likely rubber on motor mounts getting old / aging. the clutches are good.

My wife and I have talking about possible give Subby a try. If there was Diesel available, we wouldn't have problem buy one.

I avoid VW Diesels only with newer models, they are crazy and insane on cost of repairs. I know because I am former owner of VW Jetta Diesel and I get billed for repairs at least 600 dollars every 6 months, not acceptable for me.

I highly doubt that they are using Diesel more than Gasoline, for one reason, the acceleration is worse than gas. I could be wrong for newer one.

what were the repairs for? were you taking it to the "stealership? (dealer)
all the new VW jetta need is oil & oil filter change every 10K miles and Fuel filter change every 20K miles and timing belt change every 100K miles. changing oil and fuel filter are easy. timing belt is about 4 hours.
do this and they'll last you 400K to 600K miles before needing overhaul.

That is fact on and after 2007 models.

The problem with that is that can't throw in just any Kerosene based fuel in it (Kerosene, heating oil, etc). I rarely do that and reserve it for emergency. Like there is no Diesel around available and that is very rare it would happen.

How about veggie oil? :lol:

Ouch, that's expensive! My friend used to have a 1977 Mercedes Benz with diesel with no turbo. It was slow. It had 368k miles on it.

Deafsmog tech is correct. if you drove one you'd be surprised. while its horsepower is lower than the gasoline version of the same car, it's tourqe is much higher... torque is what gives the car its accelaration...or power..

Agreed. I remember test driving a VW Jetta diesel with manual tranny. It only had 90 hp but had 149 torque at 1800 rpm. It accelerates sufficient enough to merge to the highway. The redline was only 4700 rpm, I think.

Even the VW new beetles had diesel but stopped doing that in 2nd and 3rd generation models. :(

False, Diesel last longer because they are built better to handle the much higher compression ratios. I have a 2005 VW Jetta TDI it takes the engine 60,000 miles to "break in" compared to few hundred miles in gasoline engine...

False for what? READ DIESEL- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It is diesel oil fuel. Because all fuel injection systems such as injectors and pumps are demanded diesel oil to lubricate the moving parts in injectors and pumps also good lubricate in cylinder walls and piston rings.

I used to filling new fuel filters for diesel engines..... with what fluid? ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to prime diesel fuel faster and easy start. No smoke from tailpipe. ATF is oil base.

Logically this does not make sense, higher compression equals higher stress on engine and with more stress, it should have shorten life but nope. It is still because the Diesel itself does not vaporize like gasoline counterparts does. That is big difference.

Used vegetable oil needs to be filtered down, separate from water first. The Diesel engine needs to be modified, which I am not sure what. This is required before can use veggie oil on Diesel engine and yes it is possible.

How about veggie oil? :lol:

Used vegetable oil needs to be filtered down, separate from water first. The Diesel engine needs to be modified, which I am not sure what. This is required before can use veggie oil on Diesel engine and yes it is possible.

Yeah of course. :) I was kidding on using the raw veggie oil. Best place to ask about the conversion is a place where they do conversions. There are a few shops that do that in Seattle.

It's true about lubricants.

Diesel fuel is a lubricant. Gasoline is a solvent. What would you rather spray on your cylinder wall?

I just learn that the orignally name of these kind of engine was "Atmospheric Gas Engine". Later changed to Diesel. The reason for this original title is that it does not require spark plugs but requires atmospheric elements which is heat up then compress the hot air, Diesel fuel react to that elements causing combustion process.
Other interesting that it was intended for manufacturers that depends on steam engines. Diesel too over because of its efficient, steam engine has efficient of 10%, meaning 90% goes into thin air as waste. Diesel increase that efficient and it was huge single cylinder engine with flywheel, Diesel cars were introduced long after the inventor passed away.

Back