Alarm system for home

slilly25

Reaction score
Hi everyone so my fiancé and I are looking at possibly buying a home and I am hearing and I would want a home security system. Just trying to figure out which system would work best for us cause I think most alarm systems do have remote controls for setting the alarm but the only issue would be making sure my fiancé had a note to remind him to turn the alarm system off before sending out the cops to our house. Also I don't know if it is really worth buying a security camera for people that come to the door. I've looked at simplisafe but I'm also exploring other options lIke ADT.

Also I don't know if it is really worth buying a security camera for people that come to the door. I've looked at simplisafe but I'm also exploring other options lIke ADT.
I know nothing on the alarms, but a set of security cameras work wonders. Although we live in a nice neighborhood, we have a lot of burglaries, packages get stolen etc. Videos have helped a lot.

It will require some cabling. I don't recommend cameras working on the Wi-Fi. Some of them are not working well, when there is a wall between the router and camera. Without stable Wi-Fi signal your camera won't work well. I just took a set of D-Link Wi-Fi cameras back to store yesterday. Tested them for month, disappointed. I recommend looking into Costco camera sets, they have some good deals. Require some installation works though.

Last edited:
We have Simplisafe.

Cameras are good for helping to solve crimes but not so good at preventing crimes, other than maybe scaring away potential thieves.

I don't know if posting a reminder note will help someone to remember to check the alarm. After a while, the note becomes "invisible." Somehow, you just have to develop a routine where it becomes normal to check it.

I don't know if posting a reminder note will help someone to remember to check the alarm. After a while, the note becomes "invisible." Somehow, you just have to develop a routine where it becomes normal to check it.

I just had an incident, long time ago. I stayed with my aunt, she had taught me to the routine, always to put alarm system on when leaving, and off when coming home. Eventually, once I forgot to do this when I come back to home.

I came home, when my aunt wasn't home yet. Did some stuff as usually, homework, books etc. Everything is okay, but I'm deaf! I forgot about the alarm, I didn't hear it, I didn't hear that a team of armed men arrived. They were knocking at the door, the whole neighborhood of gawkers gathered around our place. Then finally, when they started to knock out the doors, I "heard" them and opened the door. :confused: No need to tell what happened the next :lol:

I just had an incident, long time ago. I stayed with my aunt, she had taught me to the routine, always to put alarm system on when leaving, and off when coming home. Eventually, once I forgot to do this when I come back to home.

I came home, when my aunt wasn't home yet. Did some stuff as usually, homework, books etc. Everything is okay, but I'm deaf! I forgot about the alarm, I didn't hear it, I didn't hear that a team of armed men arrived. They were knocking at the door, the whole neighborhood of gawkers gathered around our place. Then finally, when they started to knock out the doors, I "heard" them and opened the door. :confused: No need to tell what happened the next :lol:
Wow! Did you ever forget again? :lol:

Our alarm gives warning "beeps" when the alarm counts down. I wonder if it's possible to find a system that gives warning strobe light flashes instead?

Thank you all for the helpful advice! I know my alarm system currently beeps when it's counting down or going off and some days I feel like my own alarm system is cheating cause I'm supposed to have 60 secs to turn it off but heck I can't make it with groceries in hand all the time! My fiancé has learned to stand still when I set the alarm and wait by the door for me to let him know it's time to go.

Getting a wireless home monitoring system is quite good. I read about benefits online ( http://protectionplus.ca/blog/wireless-future-alarm-systems/ ). They are easy to install so you could do it on your own. You could activate and deactivate the system or even change the settings based on your patterns. It even has a cool new geofencing feature that lets your devices work for you based on the location.

For knowing who is at the door there is nothing cheaper than installing a peephole, as long as everyone can walk.

Back