Alarm Clocks With Pillow Shakers

iLuv

Reaction score
It would be frustrating if you get late everyday because you could not hear alarm clock sound.
Do you think it would be helpful if a pillow shaker is used as an alarm clock?

There are all sorts of "viberating shakers" out there for the deaf/hoh. I have a bed viberating shaker that scares the crap out of me. Does the job so well, that I trained myself to wake up before the alarm goes off. :)

I have a Sonic Boom alarm shaker. Stick it between the mattress. I rarely use it because I'm up at all sorts of ungodly hours.

It would be frustrating if you get late everyday because you could not hear alarm clock sound.

Before I had my deaf alarm, I had about two clocks in my rooms, one with beeps, another with bells. I woke up everyone in the house except me. If I didn't have my Sonic Boom bed shaker, I'd never make it anywhere on time....

Laura

I don't use pillowshakers anymore....

Cheap smartwatches now have vibrators ($50, $80 watches)

I can sleep anywhere I want (sofa, friend, family, etc).

My watch on my wrist vibrates to wake me up now.

I even downloaded a smartwatch app so I have to enter a special button code to turn off my alarm. So I can't accidentally turn it off!

Make sure you choose a model with 2-day or 3-day battery life, so you don't need to charge as often as those expensive "1-day" Android Gear or Apple Watch. Sometimes the cheap stuff works better. Battery charging the watch takes only 20 minutes once every 2 or 3 days for me.

A used Pebble Time watch from eBay also has powerful vibrator, more powerful than my mattress vibrator of yesteryear. It can vibrate in an "annoying random vibrate pattern" which is better. Use the Gentle Wake App configured with "Konaimi Code" + "Not-So-Gentle Vibrate" and you've got a wrist-mounted wakeup call that you can't turn off without a special button combination!

Fitness trackers with vibrate also work as deaf alarms (e.g. FitBit).

Important attributes for smartwatch:
-- Powerful enough
-- Long battery life
-- Cheap (well under $100)
-- Configurable vibrate (like random vibrate pattern)

Last edited:
An anvil released from ten feet above usually suffices as a decent alarm clock for me.

^^ lmao-- that is probably what I'll need! An anvil..

Cheap watches @ 50.00-80.00? That's not cheap.

I'm in the market for a travel alarm (will have a hearing roomie...)but not so sure a wrist watch or similar with vibration would work....:( and I don't like wearing watches to bed either.

Just what I needed- one more thing to worry about lmao

I have a sonic boom clock that vibrates under my mattress and it does the trick for me. Wakes me up every time... my poor roommate, when I forget to turn it off, he can hear it vibrate. lol!!!
if you are deaf and or HOH and do work, I would recommend it :)
:thumb:

^^ lmao-- that is probably what I'll need! An anvil..

Cheap watches @ 50.00-80.00? That's not cheap.

I'm in the market for a travel alarm (will have a hearing roomie...)but not so sure a wrist watch or similar with vibration would work....:( and I don't like wearing watches to bed either.

Just what I needed- one more thing to worry about lmao

as a small follow-up

I got the sonic alert travel alarm- with a small vibrator puck (12v rather than the usual 6v). Clock looks like a freaking egg. I don't have a roommate (long story short- there's only 3 of us, #4 unfortunately had a car accident the first weekend. So we each got our own room. I've no idea if the guy next door to my room can hear or sense the alarm or not... neither has said anything to my face... So far 3 weeks in it's worked well. Only... 8-9 more weeks!

I basically have vibrating alarm clocks all my life and been used to it. I have the "travel tim" for traveling and Bellmann&Symfon at home. Make sure when you are able to hear a bit without any devices or have a hearing partner to get an automatic alarm clock. My old one was quite noisy and I had to switch it off when someone hearing was staying over

I don't use pillowshakers anymore....

Cheap smartwatches now have vibrators ($50, $80 watches)

I can sleep anywhere I want (sofa, friend, family, etc).

My watch on my wrist vibrates to wake me up now.

I even downloaded a smartwatch app so I have to enter a special button code to turn off my alarm. So I can't accidentally turn it off!

Make sure you choose a model with 2-day or 3-day battery life, so you don't need to charge as often as those expensive "1-day" Android Gear or Apple Watch. Sometimes the cheap stuff works better. Battery charging the watch takes only 20 minutes once every 2 or 3 days for me.

A used Pebble Time watch from eBay also has powerful vibrator, more powerful than my mattress vibrator of yesteryear. It can vibrate in an "annoying random vibrate pattern" which is better. Use the Gentle Wake App configured with "Konaimi Code" + "Not-So-Gentle Vibrate" and you've got a wrist-mounted wakeup call that you can't turn off without a special button combination!

Fitness trackers with vibrate also work as deaf alarms (e.g. FitBit).

Important attributes for smartwatch:
-- Powerful enough
-- Long battery life
-- Cheap (well under $100)
-- Configurable vibrate (like random vibrate pattern)

I didn't know that those kind of watches exist.Where did you get your watch? I think this would be even better for traveling, especially while staying in a hostel so I don't have to worry to scare the people in the bed under mines

Back