Aided Hearing Test.

NaidaUP

Reaction score
Ive just done an aided hearing test with both ears and have just scored in the moderate level.

Is that good for someone with a profound loss?

250htz L - 120db - R - 100db
500htz L - 120db - R - 120db
1000htz L - 110db - R - 90db
4000htz L - 110db - R 95db
6000htz L - 110db - R - 95db
8000htz L - 100db - R - 90db

Aided
250htz 40db
500htz 40db
1000htz 40db
4000htz 40db
6000htz 50db
8000htz 50db

I have never been retested with aided ears. Did your audi do this as part of the service?

I swear, I don't think I'm getting full service.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have never been retested with aided ears. Did your audi do this as part of the service?

I swear, I don't think I'm getting full service.

Has anyone else experienced this?

"With aided ears" as in hearing aids in and out? I'm always tested that way just to see how I'm doing with the hearing aids at the current setting.

Laura

I don't recall ever having an aided hearing test either, and I have had what I consider pretty good audis, so don't feel bad VacationGuy234.

I did have REM done with my current audi/aids (which is one reason I switched to her). The REM is more about testing the HAs while in your ears to see if they are providing the appropriate "sounds". I had too much bass and beleive I had too much bass with my previous aids too. The software programmed this bass based on my hearing tests, but it was noticeable to me so I had the REM done and it detected the problem and the audi was able to make the appropriate adjustments using the REM machine's read-out.

Wirelessly posted

I have had an aided hearing test with speech discrimination. *repeating the word after the audi with her lips covered with paper* I did it with 80% accuracy.

Naida, your test results are pratically identical to mine. I'm about 5 db less loss (about 110-115) than yours, but aided about exactly the same results as yours.

I always have speech discrimination tests with doing one ear at a time but I've only ever had one aided test many years ago.

I asked for it to be done as I was curious as to what it was.

Aided test with doing one ear at a time was a lot worse but it proves that wearing 2 hearing aids works for me.

My gains in my HAs are 85db left and 83db right so I could of got better results from what I read about other people's aided tests.

Naida, your test results are pratically identical to mine. I'm about 5 db less loss (about 110-115) than yours, but aided about exactly the same results as yours.

That's quite interesting. At least I know I'm not the only one. I don't really know what classed as good but I'm personally happy with my results :)

I have requested an aided test but I was told I'd have to schedule another time because the equipment is "upstairs".

As for what is "normal" for severe to profound hearing loss, keep in mind that with hearing aids (naida UPs) you are getting about 75-80dB of gain. That is a ton but it can Never correct for the loss of inner and outer hair cells that you have.
So your ability to detect sound at 40 to 50dB is pretty good but it does not indicate anything about your ability to discriminate sounds.

That is something I have to remind myself about all the time. Like, i can hear my fiancée sneeze from the next room but I have to look at him to understand him if he speaks.
A sneeze is one loud, monotonous and fairly consistent sound that does not carry any information which is just like pure tone audiometry. Haring something is great but it isn't always useful.

I have requested an aided test but I was told I'd have to schedule another time because the equipment is "upstairs".

As for what is "normal" for severe to profound hearing loss, keep in mind that with hearing aids (naida UPs) you are getting about 75-80dB of gain. That is a ton but it can Never correct for the loss of inner and outer hair cells that you have.
So your ability to detect sound at 40 to 50dB is pretty good but it does not indicate anything about your ability to discriminate sounds.

That is something I have to remind myself about all the time. Like, i can hear my fiancée sneeze from the next room but I have to look at him to understand him if he speaks.
A sneeze is one loud, monotonous and fairly consistent sound that does not carry any information which is just like pure tone audiometry. Haring something is great but it isn't always useful.

Oh that's totally true. I have gains of left 85db and right 83db so from what I understand I could of got hits in the 30db or so.

My combined speech scores are 68% which gives a more real indication but I think I would ask for an aided hearing test each year as well :)

I just thought, the aided hearing test results is properly why I can't hear birds.

Hi. I want to share something here about taking hearing tests. I am concerned that people will jump on me but I am going to do it anyway.
Why? Because it helped me in a BIG way. I have worn hearing aids for nearly forty years and most of that time was only partially helped by them. It has been a long and frustrating experience. I thought that that was they way it is.
Every hearing test I have ever had the audi says, " if you can hear it at all push the button" while I am sitting there in a sound proof booth with headphones on. Completely nothing like my or anyones experience in the real world.
Three years ago with my aids that no longer work well enough now I tried something different. That sound that I could barely barely hear? I let it go. I did not push that fricking button. I did the whole test that way. I did not change any response on speech discrimination. And....

That was the first time in all the years I had a result that when transferred to my new hearing aids I was able to hear well enough to really understand a lot of what people were saying. I have since imparted that advice to others I know that are hoh. It has worked the same way for them. They get back to me and tell me Goodonya thank you so much for that advice. So maybe I am screwing up here going public with my thoughts on this that are working for others as well as myself. I hope not.

I had an aided test once to figure out if my hearing aids were helping me... With them, your speech discrimination is supposed to be above 90% for them to be doing their job... If it is anything less than that, it really isn't helping you. Or so I've been told. I'm not sure about dB level and aided tests (if it is good or not)...

I had an aided test once to figure out if my hearing aids were helping me... With them, your speech discrimination is supposed to be above 90% for them to be doing their job... If it is anything less than that, it really isn't helping you. Or so I've been told. I'm not sure about dB level and aided tests (if it is good or not)...

That's definitely not the general concensus. To qualify for a CI you have to have minimal benefit from your HA's. This means very bad speech discrimination scores. Hearing aids giving a profoundly deaf person even 50% speech discrimination is helping them!

My speech discrimination scores aren't even 10%. It doesn't matter to me. I like hearing environmental sounds (TV on, dogs barking, washing machine going, etc.) so I know things are happening. I don't mind not being able to understand speech.

I was told my speech score of 68db for both ears with HAs, were really poor. I've been told I should be getting that without hearing aids at the right level but I don't get anything without my HAs.

I've been approved for a CI with my speech score of 68db.

that's pretty good, at least that's where I should be with the aided results IMHO!!! *I'm going back to mess around with the switch*

I was told my speech score of 68db for both ears with HAs, were really poor. I've been told I should be getting that without hearing aids at the right level but I don't get anything without my HAs.

I've been approved for a CI with my speech score of 68db.

How should you get 68dB with no aids? That's obviously impossible with your loss, can you please clarify?

What is your speech discrimination score aided? Mine is 0% unaided, will find out on Friday at my CI Evaluation what it is aided. I can almost never not have to read lips so I imagine it's less than 10-15%.

How should you get 68dB with no aids? That's obviously impossible with your loss, can you please clarify?

What is your speech discrimination score aided? Mine is 0% unaided, will find out on Friday at my CI Evaluation what it is aided. I can almost never not have to read lips so I imagine it's less than 10-15%.

Mine is 0% unaided and 68% with both hearing aids.

When they tried my speech scores without HAs, they blasted the words out at 100db, didn't hear anything.

Good luck for Friday :)

Back