Ah, the USA needs this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you have a problem with Spanish becoming the prevailing language someday?
Yes, because it would mean that a new language was brought into the USA from outside its borders in order to take over in a big sweep. In other words, an invasion.

Would France have a problem with another language taking over? Would Germany? Would Egypt? Would any other country?

Would any Spanish-speaking countries have a problem with English taking over?

I don't understand why you guys are talking about languages when the OP is talking about governement. Some radical muslims want to replace our governement with Sharia which is a big no-no in my book. No freedom for women at all.

I agree that USA needs to be tough with that kind of muslims.

You have it all wrong. Those politicans are using "multiculturalism" as a negative term. It's a word no one wants to be associated with, and mostly used to descripe opponents in politics. Notice the use of "doctrine" in the speech and what it implies to include that word with multiculturalism.

I have noticed that. For example the Howard Govt never has used that word 'multiculturalism' and refused to do so. As far as I'm aware with Rudd and Gillard Govts, I don't think they have used this word either.

It's amazing how much power Americans give to radical Muslims. When a radial group wants to change the government, we just say "Shut up, idiots.". But when a handful of radical Muslims say that they want to implement Sharia Law, people get their panties in a twist and ACTUALLY create laws to bar this from happening.

Do you guys honestly believe that we are "being taken over"? That Sharia law can actually be implemented here in America?

I think they have as much power as the PETA group. Why are we not implementing a law to ban eating animals? Or, on the flip side, ban any possible law that would ban eating animals?

PS - My opinion? It's because Americans are afraid of Muslims.

It's amazing how much power Americans give to radical Muslims. When a radial group wants to change the government, we just say "Shut up, idiots.". But when a handful of radical Muslims say that they want to implement Sharia Law, people get their panties in a twist and ACTUALLY create laws to bar this from happening.

Do you guys honestly believe that we are "being taken over"? That Sharia law can actually be implemented here in America?

I think they have as much power as the PETA group. Why are we not implementing a law to ban eating animals? Or, on the flip side, ban any possible law that would ban eating animals?

It won't happen in several years but who knows what happens in the next generation. The more muslims grow therefore they gather more voting power so anything (certain laws) could be changed over the time. The Europeans were talking about this as of late which they were really considered about it. They should be... and we should as well.

I agree that it's amazing, rather say lame, that Americans especially the politicians are becoming too much paranoid those days... just too much paranoid and weak to stand up. (too much big brother gov't and etc)

Yes, because it would mean that a new language was brought into the USA from outside its borders in order to take over in a big sweep. In other words, an invasion.

Would France have a problem with another language taking over? Would Germany? Would Egypt? Would any other country?

Would any Spanish-speaking countries have a problem with English taking over?

That's the thing... what's the big deal? In the end, it's just a... *gasp* language. If you can't deal with that, then that's just sad. Babel's tower, anybody?

That's the thing... what's the big deal? In the end, it's just a... *gasp* language. If you can't deal with that, then that's just sad. Babel's tower, anybody?
You're teasing me, right? :giggle:

radical.jpg

A skateboarder dressed in a white islamic thobe, doing a jump of a ramp, with "Radical Islam" painted on it.

I have noticed that. For example the Howard Govt never has used that word 'multiculturalism' and refused to do so. As far as I'm aware with Rudd and Gillard Govts, I don't think they have used this word either.
I'm not surprised about that.

It won't happen in several years but who knows what happens in the next generation. The more muslims grow therefore they gather more voting power so anything (certain laws) could be changed over the time. The Europeans were talking about this as of late which they were really considered about it. They should be... and we should as well.

I agree that it's amazing, rather say lame, that Americans especially the politicians are becoming too much paranoid those days... just too much paranoid and weak to stand up. (too much big brother gov't and etc)

Well then, I'm gonna go and have more kids. :)

We DO control how many Muslims come into the country, right?

(Do we control how many Mexicans? Well that's another matter. ;))

You're teasing me, right? :giggle:

I just think it's not that big of a deal considering the fact that Jesus Christ didn't speak English to start with. If Spanish becomes the prevailing language one day in the USA, big deal. In Canada, we have two main languages, English and French. So far, the country isn't in chaos because of it.

People speak different languages everywhere. English was once used to control people, as silly as that sounds. For instance, they tried to kill the Celtic languages across Europe and forced English upon them. However, people are not forcing Spanish upon the Americans. It's more of a language barrier if you ask me. They are not passing laws forcing English out of schools like they did in Europe hundreds of years ago.

Could you show us proof that some politicans once embraced multiculturalism? Politicans declaring something beeing a failure does not mean that they ever have embraced it.

By the way, in europe, when someone accidentally say "multiculturalism", it's like they are stuck, and try to figure out what to do with the cheap labor they once invited into europe, and don't need anymore. What this have with multicultural values to do, is something I don't get.
I think you're right, that it wasn't so much that anyone embraced multiculturalism as they just let it evolve that way.

According to surveys, americans have becomed more religious, not less, in spite of religion beeing less prominent in public. The perecentage that belives in creationism is amazing. Megacurches, competing brances of christianity in a free market, etc. But my point was that if any religion have wrecked europe, it's christianity. Multiculturalism worked better in a muslim Spain than in a christian Spain, if you want to learn from the history.
I don't know what surveys you're referring to, but the polls I've seen have shown religiosity in general and Christianity specifically on the decline. But even if Christian affiliation is on the increase, so what? You're simultaneously warning of Christianity taking over in sharia-like fashion while acknowledging that religion has taken a less prominent role in public life. The two points contradict each other.

Indeed, in centuries past, a much more political, inhumane, and twisted variant of Christianity did much damage to Europe. But if any religion made the United States the success it is, it's Christianity- a more independent, humane, and undistorted Christianity.

I just think it's not that big of a deal considering the fact that Jesus Christ didn't speak English to start with.
I don't know how that is relevant but He also didn't live in the USA. (Also, He could read thoughts, so language to Him was irrelevant.) :)

If Spanish becomes the prevailing language one day in the USA, big deal. In Canada, we have two main languages, English and French. So far, the country isn't in chaos because of it.
Canada and the USA are two separate countries. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other. Also, the way languages were introduced and spread in the two countries was not the same.

People speak different languages everywhere. English was once used to control people, as silly as that sounds. For instance, they tried to kill the Celtic languages across Europe and forced English upon them. However, people are not forcing Spanish upon the Americans.
Not yet.

It's more of a language barrier if you ask me. They are not passing laws forcing English out of schools like they did in Europe hundreds of years ago.
There's nothing wrong with each country maintaining a national identity with its language.

Christians are supposed to live under whatever government system is in place in their respective countries. They are to render under Caesar, and pray for their political leaders.

There is no equivalent system of "Christian" laws that can be compared to Muslim Shariah laws.

Christians are supposed to live under whatever government system is in place in their respective countries. They are to render under Caesar, and pray for their political leaders.

There is no equivalent system of "Christian" laws that can be compared to Muslim Shariah laws.

I think it could be called biblical law? :dunno:

In many years ago like around in 1500's, there were some Europe countries that are based on biblical law like you can be punishment to death for adultery or being homosexual. For stealing, you may be punished by tie up the stone and drop you down, that what history teacher told use about it but don't existed anymore today.

For sharia law, you can be punished by death for adultery or being homosexual and for stealing, your hand can be cut off.

I think you're right, that it wasn't so much that anyone embraced multiculturalism as they just let it evolve that way.

I don't know what surveys you're referring to, but the polls I've seen have shown religiosity in general and Christianity specifically on the decline. But even if Christian affiliation is on the increase, so what? You're simultaneously warning of Christianity taking over in sharia-like fashion while acknowledging that religion has taken a less prominent role in public life. The two points contradict each other.

Indeed, in centuries past, a much more political, inhumane, and twisted variant of Christianity did much damage to Europe. But if any religion made the United States the success it is, it's Christianity- a more independent, humane, and undistorted Christianity.
To be more specific, spirituality, including the christian kind, appears to have increased in USA, with a drop in formal church based christian faith. Charismatic and pentecoastal movements are growing, for example.

I am not warning about a christian sharia rule, but close minded christian mindsets that promotes war, prejudices and ethnocentrical thinking. Christianity does not need a prominent role in the public to make this happens.

However, I hope you are right that the same liberal mix of christian brances that made the US the success it became, will stop the US from becoming another crazy country in europe. Unfortunately, it does not looks too promising when american citizens starts to make incorrect claims about sharia and Islam.

Early christians refused to make sacrifices to the roman emperors.

Early christians refused to make sacrifices to the roman emperors.
But they paid their taxes and obeyed the laws that weren't in conflict of their beliefs. When they did have to stand for their beliefs, they accepted the consequences of their actions.

Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and give unto the Lord what is His.

Basically says Christians need to submit to the government over them and pay their taxes to that government, but also do not forget to give to God what is His (such as tithing 10% of your income) and to also stand up for the King when your government opposes but a Christian must accept the martyrdom for the cause of the Kingdom. The glory is not a glorious death but rather reaching Heaven and be given a crown of works to lay at the feet of God in worship.

Not preaching, just stating Christian beliefs. Believe me I'm one of those Southern Baptists that likes to study the bible from an academic point of view.

I am not warning about a christian sharia rule, but close minded christian mindsets that promotes war, prejudices and ethnocentrical thinking. Christianity does not need a prominent role in the public to make this happens.
We have not gone to war over Christianity. That is false. As for prejudices, we have become one of the most accepting and tolerant nations in the history of the world and Christianity played no small role in that. Christianity fueled our slavery abolitionist movement and inspired our civil rights movement. As for ethnocentricity, you'll have to explain what you mean. Are you concerned with chauvinism or are you coming more from a cultural relativism perspective?

However, I hope you are right that the same liberal mix of christian brances that made the US the success it became, will stop the US from becoming another crazy country in europe. Unfortunately, it does not looks too promising when american citizens starts to make incorrect claims about sharia and Islam.
I see basically two incorrect claims made by some of our citizens. One, which is the most irksome, is the conflating of extreme Islam with all of Islam in general. However, most people I hear talking about extreme Islam are careful to qualify "I'm not talking about good, decent moderate Muslims. I'm only talking about the extremists". Only on rare occasions will I hear some bozo say something like "Ban Islam! Kick out the Muslims!" That sort of thing does happen, but fortunately, it turns most people off.

The other one is the exaggeration of the threat of sharia law or jihad from our own Muslims. Yes, extreme Islam does pose a threat, but it's almost all foreign and most people here recognize that.

Is that your critique also? Or did you have something different in mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back