After Wednesday's Train Accident....

prostock19

Reaction score
...does it affect your decision to ride a train?

Ofcourse, my answer is NO. I know that the rails are safe, and I know I have a better chance of surviving a rail accident than an airplane accident. Most train accidents are at grade crossings where a train collides with a car. This accedent was just a freak accident with a madman.

prostock19 said:
...does it affect your decision to ride a train?

Ofcourse, my answer is NO. I know that the rails are safe, and I know I have a better chance of surviving a rail accident than an airplane accident. Most train accidents are at grade crossings where a train collides with a car. This accedent was just a freak accident with a madman.

no.. cuz there are risks everyday, no matter what!!

i was in a near fatal automobile accident last week that almost got me killed.. and i am still driving.. (sigh)

There’s something I don’t understand. How can a car or a truck derail a train? Wouldn’t the train just push it off the tracks as if it were a toy?

No, it is not affect me at all. I did rode Amtrak first time Last July with children. It was okay to me but uncomfortable and long trip. I would go on train again with Family. I do heard alot of times about Train Accident but it is just sad for me that loved ones who is/are passed away.
Mommyof3

Levonian said:
There’s something I don’t understand. How can a car or a truck derail a train? Wouldn’t the train just push it off the tracks as if it were a toy?
He had it wedged on the tracks. Most of the time, the train does just push it off. Just like anything else, all the conditions were right for it to happen.

Levonian said:

I believe there were two trains coming from both directions and the dude wedged his SUV on the tracks in between the two trains. A total wacko, indeed. My question is, was this Metrolink? I tried to look for what train it was....

prostock19 said:
He had it wedged on the tracks.

What exactly does this mean? You always hear about cars getting "stuck" on train tracks—is this the same thing? And how does this happen? Obviously, these cars don’t just happen to stall on top of train tracks—that would be too much of a coincidence. There must be something about train tracks that make them capable of "catching" a car—what is it? And how can it be avoided? Obviously this most recent case was deliberate, but all the other cases I’ve heard about involve cars accidentally getting hit by trains—how does this occur? Does it involve people who are trying to beat the train, and the track "catches" them?

Sweet_KJ said:
I believe there were two trains coming from both directions and the dude wedged his SUV on the tracks in between the two trains. A total wacko, indeed. My question is, was this Metrolink? I tried to look for what train it was....

Yes, it was the Metrolink.

Good Question. But I remmy long time ago when I first got my license and the track was bumping when I drove over the track. Now it not bumping it was flat better then before and I believe it safer then the bumping one. Cuz the bumping I believe you would get caught under your car. But with flat it doesnt. The only place that have bumping is not on the road it off the road.

prostock19: does this have anything to do with that very interesting picture in your signature?

ScrappyKat said:
prostock19: does this have anything to do with that very interesting picture in your signature?
I'm glad you think that it is interesting. I do love trains, but I am just curious how an accident like this effects people. Just like traveling by plane after 9/11.

I would still ride trains. After the WTC incident, a lot of my friends refused to fly planes. I still fly planes.

You would have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting killed on a train.

it wouldn't affect me .. i believe nothing will affect me really because everything is rarely accidents happens.. and it doesn't happen often.. airplane accidents happen rarely, train accidents happen rarely, but auto.. hmm... accidents happen most in auto than any other transportation in my option.

few days after 9/11 I brought the airplane ticket RIGHT AWAY and flew off in oct 2001 just cuz its cheap! cheapest fares i ever seen in my entire life. and that doesn't stop me from not flying :D

DeafSCUBA98 said:
it wouldn't affect me .. i believe nothing will affect me really because everything is rarely accidents happens.. and it doesn't happen often.. airplane accidents happen rarely, train accidents happen rarely, but auto.. hmm... accidents happen most in auto than any other transportation in my option.

few days after 9/11 I brought the airplane ticket RIGHT AWAY and flew off in oct 2001 just cuz its cheap! cheapest fares i ever seen in my entire life. and that doesn't stop me from not flying :D

yea same here... i flew to china that november of 2001.. and it was just fine!

ill still get onto a train IF opportunity came up (last time i was on amtrak train was wayyyy back in 1989 LOL) -- same applies with flying -- ill still fly altho i dont particularly like flying too much -- my preferred mode of transportation if im travelling is by CAR -- i love driving :thumb:

Well, Vamps, if your'e talking about the California lottery, the odds are one in 42 mil.....

I would still ride a train.

We have many train crossings in my area. Many of them go thru town, not just the country. Most of the deaths here happen from train versus pedestrian. For some weird reason, people sleep on the train tracks. I think alcohol is involved.

One time a horse was electricuted on the tracks. There was exposed wiring by one of the crossings. The horse touched the wire and track at the same time. Zap!

We have had a few train versus vehicle accidents. One was a short-semi Coke truck (detachable trailer) crossing the tracks at an intersection. He stopped for the red light. He didn't realize the trailer was still on the track. Amtrack hit the trailer. No one was killed, but there was a big sticky mess from the soda. The fire department had to hose down all the Coke.

Some of the cars get stuck on the tracks because they don't drive straight over the road crossing. Their tires get stuck in the low area at the sides of the crossing. We have had some tragic accidents because of that.

Reba said:
I would still ride a train.

We have many train crossings in my area. Many of them go thru town, not just the country. Most of the deaths here happen from train versus pedestrian. For some weird reason, people sleep on the train tracks. I think alcohol is involved.

One time a horse was electricuted on the tracks. There was exposed wiring by one of the crossings. The horse touched the wire and track at the same time. Zap!

We have had a few train versus vehicle accidents. One was a short-semi Coke truck (detachable trailer) crossing the tracks at an intersection. He stopped for the red light. He didn't realize the trailer was still on the track. Amtrack hit the trailer. No one was killed, but there was a big sticky mess from the soda. The fire department had to hose down all the Coke.

Some of the cars get stuck on the tracks because they don't drive straight over the road crossing. Their tires get stuck in the low area at the sides of the crossing. We have had some tragic accidents because of that.

(shudders) :eek2:

I'd still ride it. Like plane crashes these things are sensationalized usually because of the numbers involved but they are still rare.
On the other hand car accidents happen pretty much continously but only a few people are involved with each accident so they don't get the press.

Relating Worst train accident story: The county where I was born previously had the World Record for 'longest flight of a railroad car' when a Propane Gas Tank Car sheared off in a Derailment.

Back