Adults profoundly deaf that have has cochlear implants

MSteve

Reaction score
Hi

I would like to seek some personal advice from other people in the same situation as me.

I was born profoundly deaf and this was diagnosed when I was three years old, recently my daughter was born and at birth during a routine hearing test it showed she was profoundly deaf, we had her undergo treatment to have coclhear implants which she did. We as a family have seen her benefits tremendously.

I and my family have done considerable research in regards to adults in the same situation as me who were born profoundly deaf and have had cochlear implants.
We have read so many positive things and I am very keen on having this treatment.

I would appreciate if you could take some time out and provide details of your experience of the treatment and also confirm if you were profoundly deaf and also how many cochlear implants you have had.

Kind regards

Steve

Have you been wearing hearing aids throughout your life? What could you hear with them?

If you have not been wearing aids, CI's most likely will not work well. Your brain needs to have some sound memory.

of course It is doesn't work your issues problem cause on, I think so you cause cochlear implant unfortunately won't cochlear implant. you concern make sure focus on fix on improve adjustment observed find out. it is doesn't work implant!

options

how long cochlear implant?

How depend on speech oral treatment?

it is very lots of problem on depend on implant fail?

you tried to teach skill speak oral training!

Have you been wearing hearing aids throughout your life? What could you hear with them?

If you have not been wearing aids, CI's most likely will not work well. Your brain needs to have some sound memory.

But they will most likely give him something. He will just have to work harder for it than say, me, who had 8 years of hearing history before going deaf. Adults born deaf get implanted all the time. He may never be able to ditch ASL or lip reading 100%, but he should get a lot out of it, including hearing his daughter's voice.

Hi

Thanks for your replies,

To confirm I was born complete deaf so can not hear a thing

What do you mean I will need to work harder for ci???

And also that it man not work well for me?

Any positive stories out their on adults that have had the ci that have been born complete deaf and not Abel to hear a thing, that have seen benefits from the ci will be much appreciate

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your replies,

Any positive stories out their on adults that have had the ci that have been born complete deaf and not Abel to hear a thing, that have seen benefits from the ci will be much appreciate

Thanks

What she means is, for most of us who are not deaf from birth, our brains have a memory of what words sound like, so when we get some hearing back we can connect the sounds to the words and the meanings.

People who was completely deaf from birth do not know what sounds correspond to what words, so s/he will have to learn how to associate the sounds with the words, and then learn how to speak well.

Hi

Thanks for your replies,

Thanks

There is more success with people who are born deaf and implanted at a early age and for people that had hearing before.

As you have been profoundly deaf all your life and are now wanting to get CIs, it will be harder to learn to hear. It won't come naturally, it will be a lot of hard work.

If you haven't worn hearing aids for many years as well, you need to make sure your nerve is still working to be able to get a CI.

I have always been told, if you don't get sound into your ears and to make your hearing nerve work, it will eventally die and a CI won't be of any use.

The one thing that needs to work to a CI is the hearing nerve.

I asked about this a while back, my understanding is when the auditory nerve doesn't get used, it gets very lazy, sort of like not using your legs for the first 15 years of life.

So it's probably possible but I imagine it would be a very slow process.

But on the other hand maybe this is something you can do with your daughter and grow with her.

But they will most likely give him something. He will just have to work harder for it than say, me, who had 8 years of hearing history before going deaf. Adults born deaf get implanted all the time. He may never be able to ditch ASL or lip reading 100%, but he should get a lot out of it, including hearing his daughter's voice.

That may be true, but you need to look at the general consensus of people in that group. So far every single adult I've met who fell in that group said the CI was not worth it, and all have given up wearing the CI.

I am sure there are some that continue to wear and learn, but, the majority of them find it too difficult, especially those that use ASL primarily.

Even my surgeon said he will not put CI's in patients that have not heard anything their entire lives....said it is a waste of everyone's time, hope, and money.

Again, this is from my point of view....I can't blame the OP for wanting to try it out, especially after seeing the success in his daughter's progress.

I asked about this a while back, my understanding is when the auditory nerve doesn't get used, it gets very lazy, sort of like not using your legs for the first 15 years of life.

So it's probably possible but I imagine it would be a very slow process.

But on the other hand maybe this is something you can do with your daughter and grow with her.

Very true.

I had a HA in my right ear for 11 years before getting a HA in my left ear. Left ear was unused all that time. Helps a bit, but is nowhere near as clear as my right side. I now have a CI in my left ear, and even after 3 years, it still does not sound anywhere near as good or clear as my right side. If I had worn two aids at the same time since I became deaf, it most likely would be a different outcome. Parents could only afford one HA at the time.

Still better than one CI, I must admit, but I would not be happy with just wearing the left CI alone.

Money is another thing everyone should remember: Having one CI is not cheap, having two makes your wallet even thinner....unless you are getting guv'min assistance.

Very true.

I had a HA in my right ear for 11 years before getting a HA in my left ear. Left ear was unused all that time. Helps a bit, but is nowhere near as clear as my right side. I now have a CI in my left ear, and even after 3 years, it still does not sound anywhere near as good or clear as my right side. If I had worn two aids at the same time since I became deaf, it most likely would be a different outcome. Parents could only afford one HA at the time.

Still better than one CI, I must admit, but I would not be happy with just wearing the left CI alone.

Money is another thing everyone should remember: Having one CI is not cheap, having two makes your wallet even thinner....unless you are getting guv'min assistance.

Thats happened to a friend of a friend. The surgeon was telling her to have the CI in the ear that she had worn her HA for the last 20 years but she wanted the ear that hadnt had any hearing for 20 years to be implanted.
She now wishes she listen to the surgeon as she says she hates it and can barly hear anything even after 4 years with it and being in the UK, can not get another CI in the other ear. She is currently re mortaging her house to pay private to get another CI.

Thats happened to a friend of a friend. The surgeon was telling her to have the CI in the ear that she had worn her HA for the last 20 years but she wanted the ear that hadnt had any hearing for 20 years to be implanted.
She now wishes she listen to the surgeon as she says she hates it and can barly hear anything even after 4 years with it and being in the UK, can not get another CI in the other ear. She is currently re mortaging her house to pay private to get another CI.

Then again, was she born deaf or late deafned? I think that a lot of people are missing that while a lot of people strongly benifit from CIs, there still seems to be a HUGE variabilty in benifit, even with late deafened people......Just like with hearing aids.....you know how one person with profound loss can do well with aids, and another one barely gets benifit?

Then again, was she born deaf or late deafned? I think that a lot of people are missing that while a lot of people strongly benifit from CIs, there still seems to be a HUGE variabilty in benifit, even with late deafened people......Just like with hearing aids.....you know how one person with profound loss can do well with aids, and another one barely gets benifit?

All to do with the brain I think which can't be changed..,

But it is known that a CI won't work as well if you are not aided before hand.

The brain is plastic from birth till death.
Children adapt more easily to hearing aids and cochlear implants because they don't have the "roadways" of the brain completely paved yet. (Forgive my metaphor)
Adults who were born completely deaf have a much harder time because they essentially have to pave a new road (the auditory road). It should be noted that many people who have profound hearing loss have some useable hearing in some frequencies. (1).
Kids need to be fit at least for a while with the best fit possible (not just what state schools say is "good enough") to see if they will benefit from a CI. Some kids with congenital profound hearing loss who don't get cochlear implants until 5 or 10, still do very well while some kids with moderate to severe hearing loss who have much more access to sound reject cochlear implants.

Yes, an adult with profound hearing loss from births less likely to benefit from a cochlear implant but every brain is unique.

1- RERC on Hearing Enhancement - Dr. Ross Says...

You mean as an adult with childhood loss right? Like someone who had never been aided or gotten benifit from aids would most likely not benifit from CI b/c their brain doesn't even know what sound even IS!

You mean as an adult with childhood loss right? Like someone who had never been aided or gotten benifit from aids would most likely not benifit from CI b/c their brain doesn't even know what sound even IS!

It's not that they wouldn't benefit, they actually would most likely benefit in some way. They would just have to work harder at rehab, likely need professional rehab, and most likely wouldn't achieve what a late-deafened implanted can.

The brain is plastic from birth till death.
Children adapt more easily to hearing aids and cochlear implants because they don't have the "roadways" of the brain completely paved yet. (Forgive my metaphor)
Adults who were born completely deaf have a much harder time because they essentially have to pave a new road (the auditory road). It should be noted that many people who have profound hearing loss have some useable hearing in some frequencies. (1).
Kids need to be fit at least for a while with the best fit possible (not just what state schools say is "good enough") to see if they will benefit from a CI. Some kids with congenital profound hearing loss who don't get cochlear implants until 5 or 10, still do very well while some kids with moderate to severe hearing loss who have much more access to sound reject cochlear implants.

Yes, an adult with profound hearing loss from births less likely to benefit from a cochlear implant but every brain is unique.

1- RERC on Hearing Enhancement - Dr. Ross Says...
I think what you mean is that young children's brains have spacticity. This means that it is flexible and easily adaptable to changes and traumas. This is why children learn faster and better than adults do. Adult's brains do not have spacticity, limiting their growth and recovery from trauma. A child who has a stroke will recover much quicker and better than an adult who has a stroke, because the child's brain is equipped to repair damage and change to fit its new requirements.

Last edited:
Back