Adjustment to late onset deafness

Discussion in 'Our World, Our Culture' started by jillio, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Calvin

Calvin In Hazzard County Premium Member

Nobody asked for your story, you spilled it out yourself. Rockin Robin said "Life is too short to be bitter, Embrace it" She never insulted nor put you down. You did this on your own, not us.

Foxrac likes this.
  2. C-NICE

C-NICE Active Member

I really think "Plasticmask" should look into a CI. Because it is clear from his previous posts that he will never find a way to be truly comfortable as a deaf person. A CI is in no way a cure but I see it as the only way for him to come to any kind of terms with his situation.

LoveBlue likes this.
  3. zephren

zephren Active Member

Unless I missed read something, I didn't see anyone say for him to leave this forum. What I saw was suggestions, including mine, to find another "live, in-person group" if the one he experienced was so unpleasant. There are always going to be some bad apples (even in hearing groups) so you just have to seek them out or create your group.

DeafDucky likes this.
  4. whatdidyousay!

whatdidyousay! Well-Known Member

I just chocked death reading this ! We had new members that didn't stay around for more than a few days b/c they couldn't believe how rude some people are here ! I had PM them and they told me they couldn't stand some members and I was not one of them . I never seen so many rude people on a forum before I have used a few of them!
    I am so glad I never had anything to do with deaf culture while growing b/c it sucks !

5. Foxrac

Foxrac Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have same feeling when I was new to DB community.

It is better to be late deafened alone than life with deafblind, in my opinion.

I definitely sure that you are misunderstand about what they said and your statement is poorly interpreted, no offense.

Depending on community, I have no issue with deaf communities, beside drama, but drama is part of life like you have to deal with it in this forum.

It is better to not jab someone that you don't like and you seems assume too much, perhaps.

6. LoveBlue

LoveBlue Well-Known Member

What the heck does this mean?

7. MCB

MCB Member

My hearing loss is progressive, and I can no longer understand speech unaided unless the speaker takes special measures. I also have always have had mild neurological problems and was afraid of neurofibromaotisis type two. Just had an MRI, and there is no evidence of neuromas on my auditory nerves. So the loss is cochlear. One worry is gone. Neurologist says I don't have to worry about my "other problem" (mild CP), just the long-term effects of the compensations for the CP. My right leg has done so much work over the years that those nerves sometimes scream with pain.

Question is; is progressive hearing loss associated with with post-CP syndrome?

8. zephren

zephren Active Member

After a quick search, I did find a link between cp and deafness. I have known several deaf people with cp but I didn't realize they were related.

9. DeafDucky

DeafDucky Well-Known Member

I met and knew quite a few people who are deaf/HOH and also had CP (various types of CP). I don't know if all are connected but am sure at least one was a Rubella baby.

Who knows...but I have a pretty good idea...! Funny how people interpret the same posts we all read and write in such drastically different ways. I don't see any rude people in this thread either. Maybe angry and bitter...?

rockin'robin likes this.
  10. MCB

MCB Member

I took a sign course quite a while ago. I could get the gist receptively, but I will never be good at expressive. I have been googling and hearing loss and CP overlap by quite a bit. As for progressive, I don't know. I'm going to ask at a CP site.

11. Beowulf

Beowulf Well-Known Member Premium Member

Is jillio back???

12. MCB

MCB Member

That would be nice. I remember her fondly.

13. Destiny's Sister

Destiny's Sister Member

Reading Some of the recent posts here makes me think of what I keep repeating to my 12 year old, hoping some day it will sink in. That is "Just try to be kind...and say sorry when you've hurt somebody's feelings". It would make the world so much more peaceful...

Having said that, it has most definitely NOT sunk in yet, judging from my conversation with her a few minutes ago.
    ME: What are you watching?
    HER: A Dystopian movie.
    ME: Well, it's bed time. Time to turn it off, you can finish it tomorrow.
    HER: I didn't watch it, it's way too scary.
    ME: But you were just watching it.
    HER: No I wasn't.
    ME: Then what were you watching?
    HER: The dystopian movie, but I wasn't watching it.
    ME: What do you mean you weren't watching it, you just said you were.
    HER (Yelling) NO I WASN'T, YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME!!!!
    (Her yelling continues on for another five minutes, yelling over my attempts to ask her what she means, therefore rendering any kind of intelligent communication utterly impossible)

So, long story short, I was raked over the coals for not knowing that a scary movie called "IT" flashed up on Netflix as she was clicking out of the movie she was watching. I missed that, and being HOH, I also missed the undetectable emphasis I imagine she put on the word "IT" when she all of a sudden started talking about another movie out of the blue. (My older daughter, overhearing the racket, explained it to me, apparently she's heard of "IT" too!). This could have been worthy of a Three Stooges skit (Re-read the above exchange with this enlightened context) but instead was turned into a nasty accusation of me not listening.

Yup...I shall continue to repeat myself...please, please remember to be kind.

MCB and Tetracyclone like this.
  14. AlleyCat

AlleyCat Well-Known Member

No. She was perma banned years ago.

15. MCB

MCB Member

I wonder what her final transgression was. I come and go, mostly because I have other issues in my life. When I encounter an issue related to my hearing loss, I return.

16. Jane B.

Jane B. Well-Known Member

It was part of what I felt was an "over the top" use of banning. I was not a poster on many of the hot threads but felt that people would have lost interest in the individual threads over time and they thus would have gone away on their own.

MCB and rockin'robin like this.
  17. rockin'robin

rockin'robin Well-Known Member

LOL....I'm just assuming what she meant...wondering too if she's still breathing?

18. Katluc

Katluc New Member

This thread is a great idea, especially as I fall into this category. I was a kid with mastoiditis which went untreated. We didn't bother doctors in those days and I was "
    treated" with warm olive oil and a wad of cotton wool. They also sent me to a school psychaiatrist who concluded I was pretending to have difficulty hearing to get attention. I wonder at the amount of times I've been told that I have " selective hearing " as a child. Fast forward to adulthood and I've had two surgeries on my left ear to reconstruct it after Cholesteatoma and I've now lost nearly all hearing in my operated ear within the last couple of months. I've been referred to the hospital again to check whether it's Cholesteatoma again and will be assessed for a hearing aid in that ear. Despite my hearing loss, I'm a professional classical musician and I earn my living playing in an orchestra. In case anybody is curious as to how I manage, orchestras are loud and my instrument vibrates through my jawbone. Plus I rely very much visually, by feel and with a lot of practise alone and concentration

Destiny's Sister and MCB like this.
  19. MCB

MCB Member

Sad about this. Any school psychologist who does not look at hearing screening results required in the schools is incompetent, at the least.

20. Jane B.

Jane B. Well-Known Member

We don't know how long ago this happened. That could make a difference in how much screening was done and how much attention was paid to it. I agree the lack of attention did create problems.

MCB likes this.