Adam's Deaf cat came HOME!!!

Adamsmomma

Reaction score
We had a solid white simamse mix kitten (well she's about a year old) that we got in January after we had to have my cat put down because of cancer...

She is deaf and supposed to be Adam's 'buddy' to grow up with... well the day I was packing up to leave to go to my dad's funeral -- I was trying to crate her to take her to be boarded... and she took off out the door that I accidently left open she took off like a bat outta hell... ran so fast there was no way I could catch her... I tried- she jumped a fence and was GONE!! I let some of my neighbors know but three weeks later she had only been seen once since the day she ran off...

WELL Sunday I glanced out the window and she was crossing the street toward my house... she ran when I went outside but only into the drainage ditch that was under MY driveway!!! Apparently she'd been living there??

To make a long story short... the humane society I got her from let me use a trap and she fell for it and was 'caught' yesterday!!! So she's home and safe and CLEAN!!! (I bathed her!)

Adam seems so excited that she's back... he keeps trying to get her and love her, but I'm keeping her at a distance until she's had time to adjust to being home again... since she has her claws still LOL...

I'm just excited she's alive and well-- and HOME!!!! This is Flurry... after the bath!! (I've tried to resize the pic in Photobucket but it keeps coming up BIG!!! GRRRRR)
flurryhome1.jpg

That frisky feline!....Glad she's home, and happy to be there. Our cat did the same thing, but we haven't seen her since.

I notice you say she still has her claws. It is actually important that she keep them. If she gets out again she will likely be killed without them. Especially as a deaf cat something more likely can sneak up on her.

And they make her safer around Adam. He can learn to respect her and if she doesn't have her claws he can hurt her. Under seven years old children are not safe for small pets.

My veterinarian does not do declawing and lots are following that policy.

But after my advice, I am glad that you got your pet back.

I notice you say she still has her claws. It is actually important that she keep them. If she gets out again she will likely be killed without them. Especially as a deaf cat something more likely can sneak up on her.

And they make her safer around Adam. He can learn to respect her and if she doesn't have her claws he can hurt her. Under seven years old children are not safe for small pets.

My veterinarian does not do declawing and lots are following that policy.

But after my advice, I am glad that you got your pet back.

Yeah I was contemplating getting her declawed-- my other cats have always been declawed, but since she came from a shelter she still had hers... and I was glad in this case... Surprised me though that she didn't even OFFER to have them out yesterday when I was giving her a bath-

Hopefully Adam will learn to respect her w/out too many scratches LOL he does really great w/the girls at first then gets overly excited and wants to LOVE them~~ my older one gives me a look and I know shes about to snip at him, so I know when to get him away from her but Flurry hasn't let him get too close to her yet...

I'm just glad she's home... they told me this skiddish little deaf cat 'probably wouldn't be a lap kitty, she'd been feral too long' before I got her-- I couldn't get her OFF my lap last night!! LOL

If you are interested in deaf pets for Adam, Dalmatian and Boston Terrier dogs both have a high incidence of congenital deafness.

You can check breed rescue groups in your area and dogs are great at learning sign. Cats are not.

And I am not anti-cat. I have a cat too. :)

Aww how lucky Flurry is! She's very pretty!!! Just be aware that flurry will escape again in case. One of my cats often escape from the house. Yep they all have claws. Thank you for sharing the picture.

I have always wanted to adopt a deaf cat. i also want a chubby cat too. I can't have every cats what i have been dreaming for. ha ha

That is great that she is home safe !!!!!!

I'm with Botts - please don't consider declawing your sweet kitten. It's inhumane--I'm not an anti-declaw cats protestor--it's just that I declawed my first two cats 15 years+ ago and learned AFTER how unbelievably painful it is, so I've never declawed another cat since.

Sorry - not trying to put a damper on your happiness -- I'm so glad the kitten is home! :D

Growing up my family always used to have just the front claws of our cats removed, that way they still had the back ones for defense if they ever got out. One of our cats always used to sneak out and even without his front claws he would regularly hunt down birds and moles and bring them home as "presents."
One of my cats got out this past year on Christmas day and was gone for a week. When she came back she ate like crazy and gained alot of weight. We thought she was just getting bigger because she was still very young and growing. Then one day my girlfriend heard tiny meows coming from under our bed. Two kittens!
Hope your cat has been spayed!

If you are interested in deaf pets for Adam, Dalmatian and Boston Terrier dogs both have a high incidence of congenital deafness.

You can check breed rescue groups in your area and dogs are great at learning sign. Cats are not.

And I am not anti-cat. I have a cat too. :)

I thought you had a cat :) and no they don't learn signs well... or any kind of instruction it seems LOL

I didn't really start out looking for a deaf cat or deaf pet... I was looking for a playmate for Stormy, my cat that was left alone after Chrissy passed away. I was searching Petfinder.com when I saw Flurry. I asked why it said no kids on her profile (was she aggressive or what, etc) they wanted a family who would understand her needs... and would be patient with her. I mentioned I had a deaf son and they felt we would be a great match b/c I had an understanding of her deafness that a typical family may not... so she came to be a part of our little family... she seems intrigued by Adam and vice versa, so he's become 'her boy' lol... she just sits and watch him play and will sleep in front of his crib at night 'watching him'... eventually we'll get a Golden Retriever for him but for now he and Flurry have each other :D

That's her story :D

I should get my cats microchipped in case they get out again. Do you know if it's expensive?

I should get my cats microchipped in case they get out again. Do you know if it's expensive?

I'm not sure how much the actual microchipping cost the rescue service had her 'chipped', but the service is only $15 a year... We use Home Again. here's their web site... HomeAgain® - Always looking out for your pet when Flurry went missing I was able to put out a bulletin to members of Home Again which included a poster w/a pic of her on it... so they could be on the look out-- it also alerted local vets in the area that she was lost if she came thru their office. AND you get $3000 lost pet health insurance... incase something had happened to her while she was out...

I think it was well worth the $15. I'm thinking about getting Stormy 'chipped' too... she doesn't get out and she's older but on the off chance...

Back