ADA... Serious Or Not?

e said:
I'm not too serious nor obsessed about ADA, of course I still support ADA because I need it. The only times I've warned people by ADA law that they must provide me an interpreter. I attended to several schools, most of them were avoiding to provide me an interpreter for class. So, I explained to them about ADA law, they understood then gave me what I needed for classroom. No biggie unless if you got rejected from school or fired.
That is exactly the proper action that should be imposed on ADA compliance. I think there should be a law about our attitude towards ADA to prevent "sue-happy" attributes.

LinuxGold said:
That is exactly the proper action that should be imposed on ADA compliance. I think there should be a law about our attitude towards ADA to prevent "sue-happy" attributes.

Congress specifically passed the law without an ADA "Police Force". In other words Congress wanted ADA disputes resolved in Court. And like I said, the "sue-happy" people are LOSING. What do we need more laws for?

Bush_in_2004! said:
258 sez: "majority of the disabled citizens of USA: Blind people."

Me: this is not true.

258 sez: "Not many Deafies showed up there to claim their place in ADA laws and requirements."

Me: again, this is not true. The NAD was there. In fact, Prof. Frank Bowe, a deaf author and advocate, had a BIG HAND in the writing of the ADA.

Check your facts.

If that is your fact, then pray tell, why are we STILL having discrimination issues after it was passed 10+ years ago?!?

FACT: ADA is too weak on the Deaf issues.

Deaf258 said:
If that is your fact, then pray tell, why are we STILL having discrimination issues after it was passed 10+ years ago?!?

FACT: ADA is too weak on the Deaf issues.

Hmm, the ADA was written for ALL disabilites equally. What specific issue did you wish the ADA strengthen especially for the deaf and not the other disabilites? And why are deaf people more deserving of special ADA status? :?:

Bush_in_2004! said:
Congress specifically passed the law without an ADA "Police Force". In other words Congress wanted ADA disputes resolved in Court. And like I said, the "sue-happy" people are LOSING. What do we need more laws for?
More laws to properly regulate our broken "common sense" as we see today.

LinuxGold said:
Yeah, ADA shouldn't be abused. If an individual do not have the qualifications to do it, then they couldn't use ADA as "cop-out" to get a job of their liking. They have to earn it by means of education, promotions and such. I've seen certain deaf people who cried that ADA didn't do what they wanted to do. I had to protect ADA's intergrity by telling them to earn their talents by means of education, and such. It is sad to see them boasting on their empty talents on which they do not possess.

I totally agree with you...ADA shouldn't be abused at all, only used when it's NECESSARY to argue a valid argument with solid evidence and proof. I, myself, haven't had to use the ADA for anything I have faced that gave me trouble in relations with interpreters and so forth. I always made sure I was clear that I was intent in having an interpreter present as I needed to be involved within a meeting and having my opinions heard without any misunderstandings and so on.
I don't think Australia has such an Act for the disabled community, but I believe there's one in the works to be filed and become a mandatory law in order to help the disabled surpass any discrimination and hardships they face in the real world.
Generally, I haven't come across any problems here as it's always been taken care of by the company I work for -- but if I was on my own and seeking assistance outside work, I'll work hard to get what I need, but not be sue-happy like a lot of people have been as of late. :roll:

What's more, I am part of an union and they have helped me a lot in fighting for what I was supposed to get -- for example, DBA (DeafBlind Association) didn't pay me as the client I work with on a one to one basis went home for his holidays and I had no 'work' for 2 months and by law, I was supposed to have work replaced by other work DBA found for me...they didn't, so I asked my union and they said by law, they were supposed to pay me no matter what cos I'm a permanent staff. DBA was supposed to find alternative jobs for me should the client be absent, etc. So, I notified DBA and sent along a copy of what the union said to me. Within a week and half, I got my 2 months' pay! ;)

LG sez: "More laws to properly regulate our broken "common sense" as we see today."

Me: based on your posts recently I'd say you lean toward the republican ideology. Yet hear you are proposing MORE govermental involvement in our lives (new laws). I thought the GOP was for LESS goverment?

Bush_in_2004! said:
LG sez: "More laws to properly regulate our broken "common sense" as we see today."

Me: based on your posts recently I'd say you lean toward the republican ideology. Yet hear you are proposing MORE govermental involvement in our lives (new laws). I thought the GOP was for LESS goverment?
LOL. My ideology is more to educate people on using their common sense. If they are unable to do so, then what are we to do, allowing them to demoralize the great nation into some greedy and mind-riddled society? I disagree that we should "hand-guide" those babies to do what is right i.e. not suing for their own mistakes. The indicent of spilling coffee between legs and suing McDonals for that is way beyond ridicilious! Common sense would say "Do not place in between your legs or you will get hurt", instead you ignore it and with such indicent, McDonalds gets sued instead of oneself? I think there should be laws about that to protect such victim from someone without common sense!

LG, I agree that a hefty dose of common sense is needed but perhaps this is better done through education. If we educate the masses, then perhaps someday when they serve on juries, they'll not award millions to coffee drinkers for being idiots. ;)

Bush_in_2004! said:
LG, I agree that a hefty dose of common sense is needed but perhaps this is better done through education. If we educate the masses, then perhaps someday when they serve on juries, they'll not award millions to coffee drinkers for being idiots. ;)
Education might be the key, but whom will listen nowadays with rebellion on the rise? Who will pay attention to the teacher those days? Since education collapse due to lack of interest and motivation, law has to take place, to compensate their lack of education.

LinuxGold said:
Education might be the key, but whom will listen nowadays with rebellion on the rise? Who will pay attention to the teacher those days? Since education collapse due to lack of interest and motivation, law has to take place, to compensate their lack of education.

I don't think rebellion is "on the rise". its always been with us. we only notice it more because of the ease of access to information.

I don't believe there is an education collapse either. Just a few short years ago there was a historic peak in college enrollments.

But there COULD be some improvement in education. Exactly what to do? Maybe some folks here have ideas . . . Anyone?

Bush_in_2004! said:
I don't think rebellion is "on the rise". its always been with us. we only notice it more because of the ease of access to information.

I don't believe there is an education collapse either. Just a few short years ago there was a historic peak in college enrollments.

But there COULD be some improvement in education. Exactly what to do? Maybe some folks here have ideas . . . Anyone?
More visualization of the reality. Educate parents to raise their children with equiette, in a way Education systems will only teach things that are required to take.

I would also suggest a field trip to jail, an interview with a group of inmates, visit the victims that lost their money from "sue-happy" attributes.

Back