Activism alert! Help improve deaf ed!!

deafdyke

Reaction score
Don't forget to make this call today!
On June 27 you are invited to participate in a unique opportunity to advocate for improved educational results for deaf and hard of hearing students. Be part of the National Call in Day to support the Alice Cogswell Act, and tell Congress to make America's special education system more accountable for meeting the unique language, communication, and learning needs of deaf and hard of hearing children.
Using the toll free numbers provided below, you can contact your U.S. House of Representatives member and your two U.S. Senators directly by simply entering your zip code when prompted. There is no charge for the call, and your congressional advocacy efforts for deaf and hard of hearing students should be easy!
We hope you will share this announcement with family, friends, boards of directors, donors, parent groups, association members, alumni, community members, and all appropriate audiences to participate in the National Call-In Day.
Call-In Numbers:
U.S. House of Representatives: 1-855-882-6229
U.S. Senate: 1-877-959-6229
Once you enter your zip code and get connected to your U.S. House of Representatives member or to each of your two U.S. Senators, identify yourself and let them know you're a constituent. Then, ask them to sponsor the Alice Cogswell Act. You should point them to:
The Alice Cogswell Act of 2013 - CEASD

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act requires that schools evaluate students with disabilities to determine their educational needs, provide services and settings based on those needs, and are accountable for their academic outcomes. Despite these efforts, the educational outcomes of deaf and hard of hearing students are not commensurate with their abilities. Deaf and hard of hearing students require specialized services to meet their unique, diverse needs, services which often are not available in today’s schools. The Alice Cogswell Act will shine a light on the needs of deaf and hard of hearing students and enhance accountability for the services they require, thereby leading to improved outcomes.
Don't be disappointed if you only get to talk to a receptionist or if you get voicemail; the fact that you are a constituent and are taking the time to bring the Cogswell Act to their attention is key. Ask your member of Congress (or on their behalf, their staff person) to sponsor the Alice Cogswell Act, and ask them to get back to you with their response. Once you've made your calls, let us know how it went.

For questions and to send reports about this effort please contact CEASD Government Relations Liaison Barbara Raimondo at baraimondo@me.com.
Thank you for your advocacy for deaf and hard of hearing children and youth!

The Alice Cogswell Act of 2013 - CEASD

:lol: So this is for hearing people to do? Calling the phone and following voice prompts?

Priceless!

:lol: So this is for hearing people to do? Calling the phone and following voice prompts?

Priceless!

I guess in they overlooked that one important piece! Maybe you can email your senator, or send an email to the contact they provided cluing them in. ;-)

I read the language. It looks like it would be a good bill.

I guess in they overlooked that one important piece! Maybe you can email your senator, or send an email to the contact they provided cluing them in. ;-)

I read the language. It looks like it would be a good bill.

It's true, and our senator had a deaf brother and has been very involved in deaf rights, so of course that is a good way to do it.

It just struck me as funny. :)

Back