Active shooter reported on las vegas strip

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Harold Ambeau, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Jiro

Jiro If You Know What I Mean Premium Member

and suppose he paid people to lie for him.

nope not a very dependable bias-free fool-proof system. I suppose that seb would require that a background check should also includes checking with Miss Cleo and Chief John Anderton

2. seb

seb Well-Known Member

Never said that.

3. seb

seb Well-Known Member

Reread my posts, I've said it more than once.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. seb

seb Well-Known Member

I can say the same about you. Please give me your thoughts on how to stop these people from using these weapons to shoot so many people in such a short time.

5. seb

seb Well-Known Member

What laws say this and why aren't these people being kept from buy firearms and how exactly are these laws enforced? Is the person supposed to tell the person he's buying the gun from "oh and by the way I'm crazy!," if they are crazy they probably don't realize it! Furthermore, I don't think a criminal background check is going to uncover the persons mental well being.

6. seb

seb Well-Known Member

-Not exactly true, some have said he was severely depressed, a loner and his girlfriend said "he had been deteriorating in recent months both physically and mentally."

7. seb

seb Well-Known Member

Once again, put the person through the same checks that a prospective police recruit goes through. Also if someone buys 20+guns and 12 bump stocks in less than a years time, bells should go off somewhere and someone should start looking into this person and what they are up to. Your post in the other gun thread where you stated, "if you own a gun, you should expect to get shot or shoot someone" would hopefully send off flares if this was caught on a background check. Perhaps you have a better way to prevent these crazy people from buying guns and will share it with us.[/QUOTE]

8. Foxrac

Foxrac Well-Known Member Premium Member

@seb There is fact for you - US Supreme Court issued a ruling that ban on guns are unconstitutional under 2nd Amendment in 2008 and 2010, so it can be applies to rifles, bump stocks, silencers, etc.

States tried to pass the gun control laws but end up challenging in the court, so there are some ruling are on way to US Supreme Court.

If you don't like it so you can blame nothing but yourself because you voted on wrong people, so that why we ended up with mostly pro-gun politicians in the Congress.

You have to deal with it and focus on your life, so your debate in here isn't helping at all.

Also, if you don't like US Supreme Court ruling so you can ask your state government to disregard the ruling and pass more gun control laws, along with massive crackdown, border patrol, detain federal officers and imprison gunowners, so I don't know if federal government will react and respond, so legal system is complicated.

9. Jiro

what laws say this? huh? do you mean to tell me you have absolutely no idea what our comprehensive gun control laws are?

1. it's required by law for gun store to run a background check before the sale. they check NICS system (https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics). NICS includes all states records, federal records, military records, and mental health records. If you want to purchase a gun, you are given an ATF Form 4473. If you lied on the form, the FBI will knock on your door and arrest you for falsifying on a federal form which is punishable up to 10 years in jail. it's a FELONY to lie even one question on the form. they do not care if you made a mistake by checking wrong box. you will be arrested and charged REGARDLESS.

2. it's ILLEGAL to buy a gun for someone who would or have failed a background check. this is called STRAW PURCHASE. it's ILLEGAL. lot of people have been caught doing this. that's up to 10 years in jail and $250,000 fines.

3. in the form, it asks if you have ever been committed to a mental institution and/or if you have ever been found mentally defective. the government knows this for themselves and they will want to see if you're lying or not on the form.

why don't you perform a background check on yourself by answering this questions - http://gunwars.news21.com/2014/quiz/

this is the actual ATF Form 4473. take a look at it and see what kind of questions they're asking - https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

what I've told you is just a scratch of our current comprehensive gun control laws.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/background-checks-nics-guns-dylann-roof-charleston-church-shooting/
    can we do even more? absolutely! we can go as far as giving up your civil rights, privacy rights (HIPAA/FERPA), and many more. why not??? if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about!

10. Reba

Reba Retired Terp Premium Member

Not in this thread. This is about the Vegas shooting. Start a new one.

11. Reba

"In recent months" is after most of his planning and preparations were done.

12. seb

seb Well-Known Member

That was just his girlfriend who said recent months. and you know this how his planning and preparations were done by this time? This sounds like more speculation on your part?

13. seb

seb Well-Known Member

Well this is a total cop out, but not unexpected.

14. seb

seb Well-Known Member

I'll answer this one by saying not all states have the same rules or laws and you should know this. Nevada has some of the most relaxed gun laws of all the states.

15. seb

seb Well-Known Member

And that is going to do exacty what in the other 49 states?

16. Foxrac

Foxrac Well-Known Member Premium Member

You can turn your state into own country and stop crying.

17. Reba

Thanks but no thanks.

18. Jiro

what I've stated is federal laws. that means ALL states have to follow it. capisce?

I don't think you understand the meaning of "relaxed gun laws". you still need to pass the background check.... the NICS. Stephen Paddock would still need to fill out ATF Form 4473. please do tell me what makes Nevada's gun laws more "relaxed" than others. I want to see what you know or think.

19. Reba

Facts, not speculation:

"Jill Snyder, the special agent in charge at the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, told 'CBS This Morning' in an interview Oct. 4 that Paddock had been stockpiling firearms since 1982. He bought nearly 50 guns legally, she said, but none of those purchases set off any red flags for the ATF.

"'From October 2016 to Sept. 28, 2017, he purchased 33 firearms, majority of them rifles'," Snyder said. 'We wouldn't get notified of the purchases of the rifles. We would only get notified if there was a multiple sale, which would be two or more handguns in an individual purchase.'"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/las-vegas-shooter-preparing-siege-authorities-sources/story?id=50416137

So, he had bought most of his weapons long before "recent months."

20. Reba

Have you not been paying attention to the several posts from myself and others stating that we need to keep on topic? I don't "cop out." If you recall, a few pages back I started a new thread rather than hijacking this topic. You can do the same thing. If you can't be bothered, that's your choice.