Activation

humanity needs to move on from electronics and start the new age of bioengineering (where it involves replacing cells, regenerating limbs and anything, etc), although it's starting really slowly at this point

I'm multiracial so I have curly hair. Right now my hair is in faux locs so I have a part in my hair where my headpiece can sit a little better that before so hopefully this helps.
You have beautiful hair ,it would be too bad if you may have to cut some of it off. My daughter is multiracial too her dad was Black and she has very curly too so I know what you mean about having curly hair. :)

I actually thought I would understand words and be closer to where I was with my hearing before my loss since it's only been 2 years since this started but I was wrong. Everything sounds robotic and people sound like mini robots lol.

I have a CI and everyone does sound like robots to start, that much is normal. I think after a few weeks you start to interpret noises better and it sounds more like you are used to. I wouldn't be disappointed after a few days. For some I believe it does remain a bit electronic unfortunately, but in my experience it doesn't seem the case.

That's all very normal. During my activation I actually said "OMG I sound like Minny Mouse!! It's so high!!!" Then "I'm not going to want to talk" then much laughing.

Having to lip read at first also totally normal.

You have to realize they're starting you off with very very little volume. It may not seem like it, because it sounds loud but that's just because you're used to silence. You have to get used to the stimulation, then you can handle more and more. A)your brain will get used to what it's "hearing" and interpret it better B) with further mappings you'll get more complete "sound"

It's not like they turn it on and your automatically going to be where you could be 6 months from now, hell, even 6 weeks from now. You need to be patient.

I have the Q70, but I have the programming for the 90 in my second slot. However I never use it, not a huge fan, I keep on slot one with 70s software.

I have 90s and your battery life will improve with time. My audiologist says that the processor works harder to overcome swelling around the point it contacts. If you're like me you have some swelling that may take a few months to go away as you heal. I had my left ear implanted last Dec 17th and activated the 31st. My battery life is up to 18 hours. My right was implanted July 7th and activated the 27th (late due to an infection acquired in the hospital) and my battery life is only 6-8 hours, but it is gradually increasing. Maybe this doesn't apply in your case, but this past Thursday I had a remapping and my audiologist activated the feature which has the two processors linked together (only have adjust one and the other follows) and it is really a great improvement. I also no longer have to worry about which is right or left, the processor reads the implant and opens the correct map reguardless of which side. I am still improving but the rate of improvement has become a little slower. The robotic sound quality is not so noticeable but music listening is very slow to return thus far. Hang in there, because things just keep getting better.

I have 90s and your battery life will improve with time. My audiologist says that the processor works harder to overcome swelling around the point it contacts. If you're like me you have some swelling that may take a few months to go away as you heal. I had my left ear implanted last Dec 17th and activated the 31st. My battery life is up to 18 hours. My right was implanted July 7th and activated the 27th (late due to an infection acquired in the hospital) and my battery life is only 6-8 hours, but it is gradually increasing. Maybe this doesn't apply in your case, but this past Thursday I had a remapping and my audiologist activated the feature which has the two processors linked together (only have adjust one and the other follows) and it is really a great improvement. I also no longer have to worry about which is right or left, the processor reads the implant and opens the correct map reguardless of which side. I am still improving but the rate of improvement has become a little slower. The robotic sound quality is not so noticeable but music listening is very slow to return thus far. Hang in there, because things just keep getting better.

your left ear activated after my bday! (my bday is December 30th)
*which is coming up soon*

I can remeber when I got my first hearing aid when I was 8 yo , I wish the volume was started off low b/c I wasn't use to hearing anything sounds. I couldn't believe how noisy a paper bag was and I still can't stand the sounds of paper bags today I have to turn my HA down.

Back