Activating Debt or Credit Cards?

DeafBadger

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got a new debit card from my credit union today. It has to be activated, of course. It does not give a website to do it from. It gives a phone number to call.

In the past, I have asked a family member to listen on the phone for me. But how would I do it if I wanted to activate my card independently?

Would a relay system work? What if I wanted to keep my financial and self-identifying information private from the other person on the relay?

So how have you activated your cards? Any ideas?

I have never had a problem with calling the financial companies to have my cards activated thru relay service.

It is my understanding that some financial companies would not accept the TTY/Video relay calls from Deaf and Hard of Hearing customers who are seeking to have their cards activated.

I've activated it thru relay service. no problem.

What? I thought you were hearing.

lol!!! I'm not sure if you're serious or joking :hmm:

I was born deaf - severe-profound hearing damage. I wear HA.

I've activated it thru relay service. no problem.

I just did the same thing... mine only asked for the last 4 of the card... last 4 of my social and billing zip. took a few redials... but got it through. The thing with my bank was that it had to be done from the phone number you gave them... so I, thankfully, had given them my relay number... but still... i guess you could always do voice over relay if you wanted to... or a captel (like hamilton web cap tel). vrs was just easier for me.

lol!!! I'm not sure if you're serious or joking :hmm:

I was born deaf - severe-profound hearing damage. I wear HA.

I was serious. I was under impression that you were hearing when we met in LV. :)

I have never had a problem with calling the financial companies to have my cards activated thru relay service.

It is my understanding that some financial companies would not accept the TTY/Video relay calls from Deaf and Hard of Hearing customers who are seeking to have their cards activated.

I have not had problems either. But then I use what I have been chided for using here as obsolete — a TTY with VCO through my state relay. I do use the customer service number rather than the automated number printed in the sticker on the card. Also, I have long since had my file noted about the type of communication I will be using.

Another thought is if they have a local branch go in and do it there.

I was serious. I was under impression that you were hearing when we met in LV. :)

lol! I just learned ASL couple years ago. That's probably why. Strange that you didn't see huge HAs on my ears :hmm:

lol! I just learned ASL couple years ago. That's probably why. Strange that you didn't see huge HAs on my ears :hmm:

Maybe you got big ears so that was why I did not notice them at all. :lol:

No offense! :)

Maybe you got big ears so that was why I did not notice them at all. :lol:

No offense! :)

no offense taken :)

I don't have big ears but my HA makes it look bigger cuz it's almost same color as my skin :lol: and it was probably because you and I spoke very briefly and quickly in middle of crazy mob pushing us around :dizzy:

Last debit card I got could be activated by using it at any ATM. I had stopped in at the bank to get a new one (old one had expired) so I gave them my PIN number then. So when I got the card, I went to the bank's ATM and withdrew some cash.

Easiest activation ever!

And still safe - it would not have worked without the PIN, which did not appear anywhere on the material sent to me, of course.

I got a new debit card from my credit union today. It has to be activated, of course. It does not give a website to do it from. It gives a phone number to call.

In the past, I have asked a family member to listen on the phone for me. But how would I do it if I wanted to activate my card independently?

Would a relay system work? What if I wanted to keep my financial and self-identifying information private from the other person on the relay?

So how have you activated your cards? Any ideas?

Went to my bank and they helped :)

Went to my bank and they helped :)

I think I'll try this. I don't want to reveal personal information over a relay.

If it was a national bank, I suppose I'd have no choice but to use a relay, if there wasn't a website.

I think I'll try this. I don't want to reveal personal information over a relay.

If it was a national bank, I suppose I'd have no choice but to use a relay, if there wasn't a website.

Or in person at a local branch of a national bank, if you happen to have one.

Back