Access to ASL terps in California prisons, and elsewhere.

don't do crimes. simple

States jails are under the ADa Title II.

federal jails under BOP are tricky. But under 504 of the Rehab Act.

ADA requires most places to provide an interpreter to Deaf and HoH, even jails too, however interpreter availability can be issue if your court date is in morning, right after got arrested last night, so if you committed misdemeanor so you usually sent to home after stayed in jail for 2 hours, so impossible to find an interpreter in 2 hours.

I went to traffic court in 2012 for my speeding ticket and the judge told me about how HARD is find an interpreter so he decided to dismiss my charge without pay court fee, so eventually, I'm unable to drive due to Usher Syndrome.

It could be easier to say about don't commit a crime but people made stupid mistakes.

Last edited:
Everyone makes mistakes...but access to proper communication should be prevalent here...Even those that speak a foreign language. For those of us that don't speak or hear?...we get the short end of the stick and most likely will be assaulted in jails/prisons. This has been ongoing for years and years...nothing much has been done to remedy the situation.

Back