About IRS

RedWolf

Reaction score
When I had called IRS (Internal Revenue Service) thru video relay service that I have questions regarding about refund checks. When I called them through HOVRS, IRS asked if HOVRS are using federal interpreters, and the interpreter says, "No, we are not federal interpreter." They said they won't talk to me unless they talk to me on TTY. I told them I don't have TTY and VP is the only way I can communicate with hearing people is through VRS. I tried to use TTY software using Nextalk but still it won't work with Nextalk because it had to hear if there is TTY is on the phone. I did tap the space bar so the computer can hear the TTY but it hung up on me. Why IRS won't talk to video relay interpreter if I am only one here to see the interpreter?? Anyone has problem talking with IRS using video relay?? Why do they need federal interpreter??

I would have asked to speak with supervisor and see what he/she says.

2nd, I usually try to find a local IRS Office and just go there and speak with them face to face. I would suggest you try that and see if there is a local office near you.

Most federal workers like IRS are such ignorant! =X

yea, trying to ask for a supervisor to see what the supervisor is going to say something. if it isn't successful, and then go to your local IRS office. First your business and then ask them about the relay service situation too.

that sucks! sorry

You should told them that they are interpreters funded by the federal governement.

I too had a similar problem before. not with IRS, but with NYS unemployment and wife HR dept. I ended up using VCO so they can hear my voice at the unemployment since the TTY line wasn't going anywhere. With my wife HR dept, my wife initiated the call without the VCO and she got frustrated and I stepped in to help. I asked the VRS terp to call me VCO and I started to huff and puff my anger and ranted for 15 mins. I quoted ADA blah blah blah and I said here is my wife voice and she will sound like a monkey as she is totally deaf and I wanted to speak with her supervisor. I got the supervisor and I huffed and puffed again and she realized I wasn't gonna go away and she finally let us do what she needed to do over the phone. I can't Hera the hearing person but can speak well enough so the VCO helped to solve our problem. Perhaps you can keep calling the IRS with different VRS providers until you hit the right magic combination of perfect interpreters and the right representative.

Another option is to use the online chat at Chat Access

You should told them that they are interpreters funded by the federal governement.

Yes, I should have thought about that. VRS interpreters should be funded by the government but what if they want to know if they are really funded by government. They might ask for government codes or something to ensure the VRS is working for government. I never thought I would tell them that interpreters was funded by federal government.

Some people can be ignorant sometimes. One time couple of years ago, I called Social Security office asking questions and they told me I should use their TTY numbers but I told them that VP is the only way I can communicate but they are still persistant giving me their TTY numbers. I did called their TTY numbers using Nextalk but all I get was answering service. I did left message but they never called back. It seems to me that they never used the TTY at all. We need to find a way to educate hearing people that there is new technology out there that can help deaf people to communicate thru videophone. I know most hearing people know that deaf people used TTY mostly but I am sure they never heard such thing if videophone exist for them. It is really hard to get through their head that there is new means of communications for deaf is really out there. There is lot of videophone that is available for the deaf such as MVP, OJO, VP-200, Z, i2eye, VPAD, VPAD+, and even deaf people used webcams to communicate through the internet. There are bunch of different technologies used primarily for videophones. I know there is Deaf Awareness month already out there, but does hearing people are more aware about deafness? People know there is Black History Month was set each year in February. But I am sure people more aware about black history but what about Deaf History month? Does hearing people know more about William "Dummy" Hoy? Dummy Hoy is the first deaf baseball player to play in American League and very instrumental about creating a sign for "strike" which was still used by umpires today.

Anyway, back to the topic, I know VRS could be funded by the government but really government should be more aware that deaf people are now using the videophone technology. The videophones already out there since 2004 and people should know it by now that deaf people used the videophone technology.

...problem will be solved... simple ask the VRS not to announce :) and make sure you choose right gender when making calls that are very picky with VRS. It works for me almost everytime.

I remember that I called CSDVRS through IRS in 2004. They did not accept to take a vrs call. Another way, I use fedvrs through IRS and they accepted it. That was nice. you can use fedvrs through IRS or SSA at fedvrs.tv. Try this!

;)

I think it's weird that we would have to use federal VRS in order to make calls and we are only customers, not federal workers. :roll: The IRS federal employees sure sometimes are ignorant.

I find it kind of odd because most of VRS were funded by government but why can't they use VRS instead of using fedvrs?? It doesn't make sense at all.

I find it kind of odd because most of VRS were funded by government but why can't they use VRS instead of using fedvrs?? It doesn't make sense at all.

Probably, you and federal people have private conversation through fedvrs as well. I don't know why they are doing that.

Don't worry about that POSTIVE

ok... if you all want to be smart and make them to shut up and process your request... please quote this.

Topic 102 - Tax Assistance for Individuals with Disabilities and the Hearing Impaired

Special assistance is available for persons with disabilities. If you are unable to complete your return because of a physical disability, you may obtain assistance from an IRS office, or the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) sponsored by IRS. For further information on available IRS services, refer to Topic 101 or refer to Publication 910 (PDF), IRS Guide to Free Tax Services.

Telephone assistance for the hearing impaired is available for individuals with TTY equipment. The toll–free number for this service is 800–829–4059. Hearing impaired individuals that do not have this equipment may be able to obtain access through the federal or state relay services.

**** now this tells you something... "do not have this equipment may be able to obtain access through the federal or state relay services. *BINGO* so if they decline it and say "Look under topic 102" to the person who took your call.

When you use VRS... before you connect to the IRS... tell the interpreter "don't announce".

That is the quick and simple solution.

ok - read this statement from topic 102 carefully - Hearing impaired individuals that do not have this equipment may be able to obtain access through the federal or state relay services.

Problem is VRS is not a state relay. How can we verify that sorenson, purple, csd, is actually a federal relay? All we know its funded by the FCC. Thats all.

Federal VRS is our only option at this time . from thier website it says :
Who can use Federal VRS?
- Federal or Military employees (active or retired)
-Veterans
-Federally-Recognized Indian Tribes
-General Public accessing a Federal Agency for information
-Authorized Federal contractors

ok - read this statement from topic 102 carefully - Hearing impaired individuals that do not have this equipment may be able to obtain access through the federal or state relay services.

Problem is VRS is not a state relay. How can we verify that sorenson, purple, csd, is actually a federal relay? All we know its funded by the FCC. Thats all.

Who can use Federal VRS?
-Veterans

That exactly the same thing when I read those options but where does it say it can be used for deaf people? That is where this is really puzzling me when I read it. :dunno:

Your correct... but when there is no state relay...

Who can use Federal VRS?
-Veterans

Yes you are correct....I can point the wording "may be able" that means it is not REQUIRED... if it says "must use federal/state" then thats the different story however if there is no state relay... then this is moot point :) however I can tell them that the tty number is not "functional equivalent" because the process of the call is being treated differently.

That exactly the same thing when I read those options but where does it say it can be used for deaf people? That is where this is really puzzling me when I read it. :dunno:

Does it matter ? Look at it this way - which hearing person will be calling a deaf at IRS ?:cool2: none I would say! So we the deaf people ARE the general public with a need to contact a federal agency which is the IRS. Make sense? Doesnt need to be written in black and white for that.:cool2:

What the IRS and other government agencies should do is hire some employees who can sign well, and set up a direct videophone number to them for Deaf people to call directly. They have direct TTY numbers, why not direct VP numbers? Videophones are not very expensive. They could do it if Deaf people were really important to them, and then Deaf wouldn't need to use relay at all.

Back