A way to induce temporary deafness?

If you are under hypnosis and nobody brings you out, you will just nod off to sleep and wake up like normal. You can't actually get stuck in a hypnotic state. You also cannot be hypnotized against your will, or be made to do things that are totally not within your morals. Under hypnosis you are aware of everything and what you are doing, you just don't care. Kind of like being drunk, but have more mental and physical control over yourself.

You do need an IQ of I think 70 because you need to be able to concentrate. (insert joke here)

If you are under hypnosis and nobody brings you out, you will just nod off to sleep and wake up like normal. You can't actually get stuck in a hypnotic state.

No no, that can't be true. I saw it in a movie!

;)

Not really - there's a condition called CIPA (Congenital Insensitivity to Pain with Anhidrosis) ...which the person can't feel pain. In most cases it also means you can't feel your bladder is full, or that you've cut yourself, or have an infection, or broken bone etc. They also have a lot of trouble regulating body temp and can die from fever or hypothermia etc.

It sounds like not having pain might be nice, in theory, but in practice it's often a death sentence due to related complications.
I have a cousin with this condition. For her, it also means that she does not feel hunger or thirst. While it is manageable with care in children and adults, as infants it is quite difficult. How do you hold down an infant and force it to drink from a bottle? Quite difficult and heartbreaking.

If you are under hypnosis and nobody brings you out, you will just nod off to sleep and wake up like normal. You can't actually get stuck in a hypnotic state. You also cannot be hypnotized against your will, or be made to do things that are totally not within your morals. Under hypnosis you are aware of everything and what you are doing, you just don't care. Kind of like being drunk, but have more mental and physical control over yourself.

You do need an IQ of I think 70 because you need to be able to concentrate. (insert joke here)

I guess that means the majority of the United States is unable to be hypnotized.

If you truly want to experience being hearing impaired...

May I recommend a safe way to experience it? Wear EARPLUGS all day, in every day life, for a week.

Go to work. Go grocery shopping. That will give you an idea.

Or you be the person who goes to a heavy metal concert, and does not wear earplugs and says "huh? what?" for a few days (with some mild, but permanent damage). (I don't recommend this one!)

If you truly want to experience being hearing impaired...

May I recommend a safe way to experience it? Wear EARPLUGS all day, in every day life, for a week.

Go to work. Go grocery shopping. That will give you an idea.

Or you be the person who goes to a heavy metal concert, and does not wear earplugs and says "huh? what?" for a few days (with some mild, but permanent damage). (I don't recommend this one!)

Hearing impaired??
:aw:

Plus I don't believe the earplugs really simulate deafness.

Hearing impaired??
:aw:

Plus I don't believe the earplugs really simulate deafness.

AND, if you wear earplugs, everyone can see them (unless you have long hair) so they know you're wearing earplugs, and they'll just treat you like a loony, which means you will not have anything to contribute to the "stupid hearing people" thread, which I know HAS to be the motivation behind this.

Actually, come to think of it, I've read that thread...treating you like a loony would be par for the "stupid hearing people" thread after all! :giggle:

I don't get it, either. We had a lengthly discussion about this some time back. I re-read that thread about "Deaf wannabes", and it's just beyond me, too.

well there sertian pannic disorders like misophonia litterly in greek hatred of sound.. its realy debilitating... its compleetly bizar.. i would completely understand being curous about that subject.. and google tends to trow you this way. and yep im one. sounds drive me that nuts to go sleep in the park to put it mildly ands thats dogs waking on tiles 6 houses down. i cant even remeber when i last slept a stright 8 hours. and i compleetly understand how bizar that must sound to you all. id trade with you in a hartbeat if such a thing whas posible. but i realy doubt your gong to like it either. im realy sorry if i offened someone.. just pointing out there valid (medical) reasons to want tobe deaf, and there for the question isnt that crazy.

I just have missed something, hypnosis to want to be deaf, so my two cents, deafness is not only volume, my hearing aids give me sound, however my brain can't interpret, out of the 36 sounds that make up our langue on a good day I can comprehend maybe a third depending on frequency kinda like playing cords on a piano with two thirds of random keys dead would you be able to understand

Or reading a book with these letters missing, r l o e u n a I sh m b then lightly erase so if you look real hard you might be able to figure out ch d g k s t p how much would you be able to understand, how long before you tired from the strain

Back