A Techie Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

I am looking into getting a 1TB external Hard Drive after work today

Should be a good buy. They've gotten a lot cheaper these days due to SSD.

Plan on getting an ESATA version?

Yeah, some externals have ESATA built in.
smile.png

The 3x faster transfer speeds are worth it unless you are ok with the usb 2.0 speeds.

Yeah, some externals have ESATA built in.
smile.png

The 3x faster transfer speeds are worth it unless you are ok with the usb 2.0 speeds.
Yep, which I can use it for work and home purposes. Since my 750GB is half full now with these movies I have downloaded ;)

You all may remember my old photo of my old work PC with dual monitors - well, here is a new one with my New PC

2ufykco.jpg

Yes, I am multitasking on AD and watching a movie from my external HDD - it is very quiet as we speak

Lol, I still have the blackberry-isque device, but would want an Android phone or something. It's funny how people still are addicted to BB even tho it sucks. It looks like lot of deafies have gone to Android or iPhone. :lol:

I am looking at getting a laptop, so that I can avoid using those new Macs that I am forced to use in my course...

I am looking at getting a laptop, so that I can avoid using those new Macs that I am forced to use in my course...

Macbook is better than PC. My PC notebook and netbook were some problem. Easy to get spyware and malware. Mac is no problem.

Macbook is better than PC. My PC notebook and netbook were some problem. Easy to get spyware and malware. Mac is no problem.

You could get malware and spyware on Macbook if you have Windows OS installed in bootcamp or virtual machine.

If I have an anti-virus program running and doing it's job, is it common for problems to come up with WOW. My netbook has all kinds of "infected" files and security threats from possible trojan horses. Is this something I can do, or do I need to pay Best Buy's Geek Squad to help with?

It has Windows XP Hone, AVG antivirus (I thought). It keeps asking if I want to activate my anti-virus. I thought it was activated and it can't get to any place online, but it does have WiFi capabilities.

If I have an anti-virus program running and doing it's job, is it common for problems to come up with WOW. My netbook has all kinds of "infected" files and security threats from possible trojan horses. Is this something I can do, or do I need to pay Best Buy's Geek Squad to help with?

It has Windows XP Hone, AVG antivirus (I thought). It keeps asking if I want to activate my anti-virus. I thought it was activated and it can't get to any place online, but it does have WiFi capabilities.

Run combofix and it will most likely get your problem fixed as it is a batch process that kills a database of known malware all at once. The instructions to run it may be a bit confusing, in that case you might want someone with moderate PC experience to do it for you. It should not require the assistance of a best buy tech unless they are willing to do it for free. Geek squad will charge you, they are there to make money.
If it helps understand my background, I used to follow corporate procedures in IT assistance, did some of the similar things to Geek squad services but we worked as service contracts for private corporations.

Run combofix and it will most likely get your problem fixed as it is a batch process that kills a database of known malware all at once. The instructions to run it may be a bit confusing, in that case you might want someone with moderate PC experience to do it for you. It should not require the assistance of a best buy tech unless they are willing to do it for free. Geek squad will charge you, they are there to make money.
If it helps understand my background, I used to follow corporate procedures in IT assistance, did some of the similar things to Geek squad services but we worked as service contracts for private corporations.

I can't even get it to a place where I can run anything. It will not connect to the internet. I think Windows has been corrupted.

Download it on another computer if you can, it will save the trouble and headaches. Put it on USB drive or something equivalent, then try to run it on that computer. You may have to toggle XP safe mode if you can't run it in default windows.

Download it on another computer if you can, it will save the trouble and headaches. Put it on USB drive or something equivalent, then try to run it on that computer. You may have to toggle XP safe mode if you can't run it in default windows.

Thanks, I never thought of that, I will do that after lunch and let you know if I have any issues. I am currently using my desktop with Windows Vista and I do have a flash drive with plenty of space.

I can't get my netbook to go to safe mode. I have a option when I boot it up to F2 for Setup, or F12 for the boot order menu. I press F2 and don't see any options for Safe Mode.

Back