A quiz from a prior teacher - What's cloud to you and what are the implication

NYNY

Reaction score
This is out of curiosity. Who knows what cloud computing is. Are there implications from using it? I was an elem ed, sign language (not for Deaf), computer hardware teacher and other things along the way.

Cloud computing is a lot of things but basically it is shared computing over the internet. Nothing is processed or saved in one specific location or possibly even fragmented over many locations.

Is there a specific flavor or applications you're talking about?

LOL! I thought you were asking about the clouds in the sky . :giggle: I forget about the cloud you meant .

Using someone else's server to store data instead of your own computer's memory.

You're all good and this day and age, I didn't expect it. Each answer is correct. Jonnyghost, nope, any application that captures your data on the internet is cloud.
Whatdidyousay! You're right!!! It's confusing and it sounds lovely but behind all this stuff, it poses a danger.*

Cloud computing is another euphemism. Sounds great but it's pretty evil. It has been around for a couple of decades at the least, probably longer. Look at all your responses to see what it does. Here are the implications and another example of cloud.

Here's a fact:
I worked at publishing company. They have an online application that pretty much mirrors a Rolodex for a bunch of different companies. The sales guys out there may do cold calling or door to door. The sales guys enter company info into this online application and they paid a license for it to use it. The COMPANY who sold it nabs data from specifically-coded fields like: Company Value, CEO, CFO, address, and I don't remember anymore. My guess is for any salesperson who bought it would have seen the disclosure buried in the "I accept" and a bunch of legalize as to what the company will do to "your" data. This makes the company nabbing the data not have to go work to get this info.

One way too long example. Here's what's also likely to happen. Right now, we have firewalls, and maybe more security on our computers. When cloud is instituted to the point where you'll see cheap, new computers for sale! Yeah! Except I don't think it will have a harddrive. I'm not sure how the memory is set up in this situation. And, "our collective" data will be as most of you said - on someone's server. As a hacker (I'd never make a hacker, I don't understand it well enough), I'd prefer to hit one massive server(s) than go to an IP address that may or may not be protected. Jonny, I think that one goes to you (clouds on servers). That goes to the hacker - the obvious bad guy. When we no longer have harddrives and you're pushed (I'm not getting a tablet) into storing all personal data on the internet, I'll use snailmail. That will absolutely be my end.

It's just a caution of our future. BLEEDINGPURIST (and I) want to spread the real truth and you guys got it already. Dang. Any other quizzes out there? It was fun and great to know that you're on to it.

Using someone else's server to store data instead of your own computer's memory.
You get your own response and it summarizes everything, Bottesini. YES.:wave:

Even alldeaf is on their own server. I love it when they automatically clear cookies at the end. Really, I haven't seen that any other place.

... Jonnyghost, nope, any application that captures your data on the internet is cloud....

"cloud com·put·ing
noun
noun: cloud computing; plural noun: cloud computings

1. the practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet to store, manage, and process data, rather than a local server or a personal computer."
If by capturing data you are referring to data collection such as tracking cookies and similar practices then you are incorrect.

"cloud com·put·ing
noun
noun: cloud computing; plural noun: cloud computings

1. the practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet to store, manage, and process data, rather than a local server or a personal computer."
If by capturing data you are referring to data collection such as tracking cookies and similar practices then you are incorrect.
No, cookies are a no brainer and just goes on your computer to keep track of where you are in the application. It's not necessary and may give the user a little more work to do but it's part of tracking. alldeaf doesn't keep them, thank goodness.

I started work on these things called IBM Mainframes a century or so ago (truth @40 years) and we had our own internal network that Al Gore did not invent (bad joke again). The drums, I think, where a huge early version of memory.

Jonnyghost: We talkin' about two things - Vous said: data management by some other computer | (in nutshell, that's all a server is and to me it's redundant to tell me it's not on anything I own :) ) and that's where I refuse to buy things like TurboTax. All the work and all my data (pooh pooh to https and encryption) goes. The second is coremetrics of any kind - tracking by cookies, by IP Addresses (and to some out here, you can't know to whom the IP belongs), mouse and mouse clicking.

I'm a little confused by what you're getting at. I stand by my original statement "shared computing over the internet" It's not just a server. You MIGHT access data on a server but you could also use processing power to run an application or manipulate data.

It's location isn't specific like your accessing an IP address. It's a real-time environment hosted by multiple connected servers all at once.

Think of it this way. A shelf holds a book like a server holds a file but a library filled with librarians and inter library connections is an information environment beyond the static shelf.

I'm a little confused by what you're getting at. I stand by my original statement "shared computing over the internet" It's not just a server. You MIGHT access data on a server but you could also use processing power to run an application or manipulate data.

It's location isn't specific like your accessing an IP address. It's a real-time environment hosted by multiple connected servers all at once.
jonnyghost: I understand. I guess I left out the processing power (my bad) mainly because when we project (okay IIII project the future), we have no need for a harddrive because we will no longer "own" information to go on it. Using the internet's processing power to run or manipulate data will be coming from the internet.

It's more about accessing and putting your own data on the internet. It is quietly or publicly. By quietly, it's like my using Quicken's Turbo Tax and using their multitude of servers to store my private information.
I've felt for years that we were headed into a cloud borsht disaster "pre-cloud."
QUESTION: I understand not needing a harddrive (so companies can remove the ones from personal computers) but will memory be required because that can come from the internet. If memory isn't needed, then we don't need memory or a harddrive in future personal computers. We'll have the processing speed from the internet. What's left? A monitor?

I hate it when I make multiple posts. I'll blame it on you. Thanks! :ty:
Yes, servers stretched across rooms will not have IP addresses. But whatever's left on our own computer will have a tracking device (IP address or variation of it - maybe it will be called a rainbow identifier lol).

Back