"A Quiet Place" the movie

anisavjade

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a hearing student that is currently learning ASL. Ever since I started to learn more about the Deaf community and how it works, I started feeling as if I was part of it somehow (even though I'm not Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing). My question to the community is if you believe that the movie, "A Quiet Place", is a Deaf Horror film. My mother (who's hearing), believes that just because one person in the movie is Deaf does not mean it is specifically a Deaf Horror movie. This has insulted me because of my knowledge of Deaf background and their history. As a Deaf person, do you believe this is a Deaf Horror film or just a Horror film. Personally, even though I'm hearing, I believe that it should be recognized as a Deaf film. Considering the main language used is ASL and the main hero is Deaf. However, I could be an uneducated hearing person. But, I think that it's important to this community that it is recognized as a Deaf Horror Film.

Please share your thoughts! xoxo

Hello there. I don’t believe this movie was made specifically for deaf or HoH people. The character’s hearing is just part of the story. I personally loved the movie because it’s not often you see a character that is deaf or HoH being a major role in a movie.

Hello there. I don’t believe this movie was made specifically for deaf or HoH people. The character’s hearing is just part of the story. I personally loved the movie because it’s not often you see a character that is deaf or HoH being a major role in a movie.
Hello everyone! I am a hearing student that is currently learning ASL. Ever since I started to learn more about the Deaf community and how it works, I started feeling as if I was part of it somehow (even though I'm not Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing). My question to the community is if you believe that the movie, "A Quiet Place", is a Deaf Horror film. My mother (who's hearing), believes that just because one person in the movie is Deaf does not mean it is specifically a Deaf Horror movie. This has insulted me because of my knowledge of Deaf background and their history. As a Deaf person, do you believe this is a Deaf Horror film or just a Horror film. Personally, even though I'm hearing, I believe that it should be recognized as a Deaf film. Considering the main language used is ASL and the main hero is Deaf. However, I could be an uneducated hearing person. But, I think that it's important to this community that it is recognized as a Deaf Horror Film.

Please share your thoughts! xoxo

Hey- I am also a hearing student learning sign and I felt like some of the signs in the movie were incorrect or wrong. for example: I LOVE YOU in the movie they sign it as LOVE- meaning to love something such as I love coffee. Where I was taught I LOVE YOU is supposed to be signed like the plane sign but it goes out towards the person.

A deaf character is added, I personally like this film. I have watched it with my sister and I must say that the storyline is pretty unique.

Back