A quick survey...PLEASE check it out

spiderqueen

Reaction score
Hey everybody!!! My name is Audrey...and for my class we are conducting this quick survey that relates to Deaf Culture. So, I wondering if all of you could help me by responding to this survey. The survey question is....

What is the best way for a hearing person that is learning ASL to improve their signing skills? Why?

Please, feel free to share as much as you want. If you are interested in doing the survey i am also going to need some additional information...
-Your Full Name
-Are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Hearing
-Primary Mode of Communication (ex. ASL, See-Sign, Pigeon Sign, or English)
-Occupation
-The high school you go or went to

If you are hesitant in posting this information, you can always e-mail me Arachnia665@aol.com.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to read this post. I look forward to seeing peoples responses...THANK YOU!!!

-Audrey

-Your Full Name....deafdyke
-Age 25
-Are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Hearing...hoh
-Primary Mode of Communication (ex. ASL, See-Sign, Pigeon Sign, or English) ASL and
-The high school you go or went to: Old Rochester Regional High School

-Your Full Name- sorry i don't post that one on the internet, but i'm sure you could make one up for me
-Age-18
-Are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Hearing- Late deafened (well, technically late hoh, because I can hear, but speech is kinda a pain)
-Primary Mode of Communication (ex. ASL, See-Sign, Pigeon Sign, or English)-usually use whatever is best understood... ASL wherever possible
-Occupation- student/artist....need, why?
-The high school you go or went to- why do you need this?

okay...i'm a sign language student...i want to go into social work, most likely primairly with deaf and hoh. i have spent the vast majority of my life as a hearing person, and i've been trying to learn sign for many years now. i've always been highly motivated, but i really didn't learn quite as much until i started to loose my hearing.

my teacher would suggest signing to yourself in the mirror every day for as long as possible. (i've tried it once or twice.... i'm sure if i actually did it, it would probably work....she has yet to be wrong about those types of things....on the other hand, spending time with deaf people and other signers (paricularly those more flunt than yourself) helps alot. don't use voice. explaing and describe if you need to, but no noise other than non-manual behaviors. that should help. but definately talk to deaf people, and maybe volunteer at an agency serving the deaf.

anyhow, i have ASL homework to do, and i better do it. ttfn.

-Your Full Name- Kristy
-Age- 24
-Are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Hearing- Deaf
-Primary Mode of Communication (ex. ASL, See-Sign, Pigeon Sign, or English)- ASL
-Occupation- Fast Food
-The high school you go or went to- Hawaii Center for the Deaf and the Blind and Cibola High School

HiBluE01

Guys- she posted her question which some of you didn't answer... answer them to make your survey useful for her. :)

What is the best way for a hearing person that is learning ASL to improve their signing skills? Why?
Immersing self into a Deaf community-- to soak up the varying skills and levels of ASL of different people! It will allow one to apply one's ASL skills.. and polish up their receptivity and able to CONVERSE via hands. If one don't go out in a Deaf community and use ASL, how could one know ASL fluently by two-dimesional pictures from a textbook? It is not using your brain if you just stop using ASL as you step out of a classroom. Your in-classroom education won't help you out when you meet a deaf person-- you need to make a conversation in ASL to strengthen your skills.

-Your Full Name: Kirsi M. G. (PM me if you REALLY need the last name... like hana said, you can make one up for me.)

-Age: 19 (will be 20 in five months...! People will go "Oh my god, you are SO YOUNG!" No I am not! I am just few months short from 20.. I won't be in my "teens" anymore! I WILL BE TWENTY AND BE AN ADULT!! (stomping))

-Are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Hearing: Deaf with a captial D.

-Primary Mode of Communication (ex. ASL, See-Sign, Pigeon Sign, or English):
Well, ASL for most of times but you know how strong English has influenced the signs when one tries to show one's intelligence... so I will say I vary from PSE to ASL, depend on who I am talking to and what I am talking about.

-Occupation: Junior University Student and an Intern at an outreach branch of Cancer Center under UCSD.

-The high school you go or went to: James Madison Senior High School (bleh) c/o 2003.

-Your Full Name: Susan V. Hernandez
-Are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Hearing: hoh
-Primary Mode of Communication (ex. ASL, See-Sign, Pigeon Sign, or English): spoken English
-The high school you go or went to: St. John the Baptist Dioceasan High School (in West Islip, NY)

-Your Full Name: Meghan
-Are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Hearing: deaf (not Deaf)
-Primary Mode of Communication (ex. ASL, See-Sign, Pigeon Sign, or English): spoken English
-The high school you go or went to: Kelly Walsh High School (Graduated in 2004)

Are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Hearing: deaf (not Deaf)
CD, I thought you signed a bit too! I think if you use Sign somewhat like in an everyday usage, even if you ALSO speak, then you're automaticly Deaf.

deafdyke said:
CD, I thought you signed a bit too! I think if you use Sign somewhat like in an everyday usage, even if you ALSO speak, then you're automaticly Deaf.

I don't consider myself Deaf, just deaf. I only use sign language when I'm around deaf friends, and that's not very often. But for several years I've always considered myself to be deaf. :dunno:

Good point.....what does Deaf mean anyway? we could debate about it for hours and hours....I mean we have a regular member here who only has unilateral loss, but considers himself Deaf.
But I think that being Deaf goes past the strict sterotype of a radical Deafie

SJCSue said:
-Your Full Name: Susan V. Hernandez
-Are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Hearing: hoh
-The high school you go or went to: St. John the Baptist Dioceasan High School (in West Islip, NY)

I forgot to tell you that I graduated high school in June 2003. I just finished my second year of college at St. Joseph's College in Patchogue, NY.

Back