A Question For Homosexuals

It's appropriate that you brought up this issue on this forum because some researchers link sexual orientation with hearing.

The auditory system exhibits differences by sex and by sexual orientation, and the implication is that relevant auditory structures are altered during prenatal development, possibly by exposure to androgens. The otoacoustic emissions (OAEs) of newborn male infants are weaker than those of newborn females, and these sex differences persist through the lifespan. The OAEs of nonheterosexual females also are weaker than those of heterosexual females, suggesting an atypically strong exposure to androgens some time early in development. Auditory evoked potentials (AEPs) also exhibit sex differences beginning early in life. Some AEPs are different for heterosexual and nonheterosexual females, and other AEPs are different for heterosexual and nonheterosexual males. Research on non-humans treated with androgenic or anti-androgenic agents also suggests that OAEs are masculinized by prenatal exposure to androgens late in gestation. Collectively, the evidence suggests that prenatal androgens, acting globally or locally, affect both nonheterosexuality and the auditory system.

Sexual orientation and the auditory system. [Front Neuroendocrinol. 2011] - PubMed result

If sexual orientation is linked to auditory function, what does that mean for deaf people? Obviously, sexual orientation develops in people without auditory function. :hmm:

Personally, I don't believe that sexual orientation is a choice or a trait that can be changed.

Now I need to be certain that the following question does not insult any sensitive same-sex individual - that is not my intent. This is important to understand and know.

Now as a hetrosexual man I do could not understand the homosexual lifestyle simple because I am not a hetrosexual. So all I can do is ask: Are homosexuals normally born homosexual or do some become homosexual as a lifestyle choice?

Again since I am not homosexual myself I could not know this answer. Please note that I do not have any negative or anti-gay intension when asking this question. I just want to be in the know. Thanks you kindly.

__
Did you read what you posted? "Now as a hetrosexual man I do could not understand the homosexual lifestyle simple because I am not a hetrosexual"
You said you're not a "heterosexual" !

It's appropriate that you brought up this issue on this forum because some researchers link sexual orientation with hearing.

Sexual orientation and the auditory system. [Front Neuroendocrinol. 2011] - PubMed result

If sexual orientation is linked to auditory function, what does that mean for deaf people? Obviously, sexual orientation develops in people without auditory function. :hmm:

Personally, I don't believe that sexual orientation is a choice or a trait that can be changed.

If the Taylors are any example, I'd say about half of the deaf would be gay. BTW, not all the gays in that family are deaf.

However, the general Deaf popuation as a whole from what I can see are straight so hearing or the lack of hearing may not be a really big factor.

Wow! That is a piece of research I hadn't seen. Thanks for the link! I'll sit down and go over it completely when I have time to concentrate.:ty:

I was surprised to find this article. It's recent. It's interesting because hearing newborns recognize their mother's voices immediately.

So why do people say "I was born gay" when they can't prove it.

A more appropriate question: Why don't you accept someone's experience?

The person has an experience and that's the person's truth. We all know that some hearing people come to this forum and dismiss Deaf people's experience. Why would you do this to someone else?

I was surprised to find this article. It's recent. It's interesting because hearing newborns recognize their mother's voices immediately.

A more appropriate question: Why don't you accept someone's experience?

The person has an experience and that's the person's truth. We all know that some hearing people come to this forum and dismiss Deaf people's experience. Why would you do this to someone else?

Absolutely. I have often stated that congenitally deafened babies are already delayed in processing auditory stimuli at the time of birth for just this reason. Another reason why it is important to begin visual stimulation asap after birth.

Interesting thread.

A lot of it comes down too the question,

Is homosexuality / lesbianism a choice or not a choice?

There is undeniable evidence there is NO choice for some.

In some times and places homosexuality has been punishable by death -- Yet people still did it. If they weren't compelled to do it, if it were a choice, why would they do it?

Yet there is just as undeniable evidence that for some it is experience related.

A friend of mine was totally straight until he went to Viet Nam. He had never been interested in sex with another male. He was out on patrol, separated from his unit. He found himself cold, hungry, scared, and his only warmth was his buddy laying next to him. Two eighteen year old guys not sure if they are going to live through the next day laying next too each other painfully aware they both had erections. By the time he got back to the states he was no longer interested in girls.

I knew a girl who was straight until her father caught her with a guy. He beat the guy up and told her if she was going to be a whore to some jerks who didn't pay a dime for her support she could at least be a whore to the man who supported her all her life. He raped her on the spot and she was never able to be with a man since.

There is also evidence that choice can play a part.

If you were interred in prison, or a prisoner of war, what choice would you make and how long would it take you to make it? What if you thought you would never leave?

What if you were the last two people on earth and the other was of a sex you had never desired before in your life, or even were repulsed by?

What choice would you make and how long would it take you to make it?

I'm bisexual. It wasn't something I chose. As long as I've been attracted to people, the people to whom I've been attracted have been a fairly even split between guys and girls.

A lot of people seem to think it can be a choice. While I think that certain things in a person's life can push them more in one direction or another, I don't think anything would make someone completely gay who was completely straight, or vice versa. For example, a friend of mine who was bisexual started identifying as a lesbian after she was raped. It's understandable that she'd be wary of men, but I don't think she'd have gone for women after that if she hadn't liked them somewhat to begin with.

One thought, as well, is that traumas aside, why would someone choose homosexuality? I'm a proud member of the LGBT community, but that doesn't mean it's all easy. Coming out to my family was tough. There's always the threat of discrimination. If I found a woman I wanted to spend my life with, I couldn't marry her. And due to my being with a guy, people generally assume I'm straight. I don't feel the need to discuss my sexuality with my co-workers or classmates (because why is it their business?), but it's a bit sad to know that if they knew I'm bisexual, some of them would look at me differently.

One thought, as well, is that traumas aside, why would someone choose homosexuality?

From a male point of view not wanting to be tied down would be a good reason. A friend of mine used to laugh at me because it didn't matter how many times I TOLD her, "If you are looking for a husband don't even spend a night with me. My idea of staying faithful is not trading in my Harley." And sure enough the next morning she would start making wedding plans. My friend maintained he never had that problem with his male partners misunderstanding simple English. Interestingly a lot of his partners were married men. He also pointed out that going out with married men did not open him up to the risks of being shot at I took when going out with their wives. And even back then when he could be sent to prison for homosexuality -- He would be in prison with sex partners of his own choice.

Not wanting children would be another. A young man cannot trust a woman who says she is on birth control pills because a lot of them lie -- They figure the best way to get a man is to trap him by default.

Oral sex is another. A lot of straight women want it but don't want to share it. That simple fact has supported a lot of prostitutes. Never heard a gay guy complain their partner wasn't helping them out in that department. Might also explain why so many gay guys get hit on by married men.

So as a choice it makes a lot of sense -- But what can I say -- I love women.

Berry, it sounds like your friend just isn't meeting the right people! The stereotype is always that girls want to get married and guys want to play around, but there are plenty of guys who want to get married, and girls who want to play around. If a straight guy doesn't want tied down, there are plenty of girls with whom he won't have to worry about that. And if he doesn't trust her to use birth control, why can't he use condoms? It's just hard to imagine that a straight guy would choose to have sex people he didn't feel a sexual attraction to than take these other steps. :dunno:

And Caroline, I "like"d your post only because I couldn't "love" it :rockon:

My opinion: There are a LOT more bisexuals than people would think. I honestly think Kinsey was onto something with sexuality being fluid. Right now, most people would not be as forthcoming on being bi because they have a CHOICE. We know being gay is hard in today's society, so why would a bi person CHOOSE to go down the gay (harder) path when they can easily just be with the opposite sex? I mean, why even bother wanting to meet gay people of your sex? You might end up falling in love with one of them, then you have a hard choice to make: be with the one you currently love and lead the harder life, or try to forget about him/her and attempt to find someone else of the opposite sex where it IS possible to fall in love with him/her too. So I think a lot of people don't even want to touch the waters unless: it's in a safe environment (fooling around with friends who you're attracted to but know that nothing serious will ever happen) or it's in an environment where you're forced (physically, mentally, emotionally) to go for the same sex. Such as accidentally falling for the same sex, being in prison, or losing your trust in the opposite sex (bad break ups, rape, etc).

This theory of mine explains everything in Berry''s post (#69).

It also explains why it "appears" that more and more people are "bicurious" or having that "lesbian experience". A lot of people blame it on society becoming immoral. To me, it's just because there are a lot more safe environments than ever before.

Haha...I don't think so. You had already asked that question?

Yes, I had previously stated there is no medically acceptable test to prove a human is born straight and none that prove bi, gay, etc.
If anyone on here can provide the name of an accepted test, post it here.

Interesting thread.

A lot of it comes down too the question,

Is homosexuality / lesbianism a choice or not a choice?

There is undeniable evidence there is NO choice for some.

In some times and places homosexuality has been punishable by death -- Yet people still did it. If they weren't compelled to do it, if it were a choice, why would they do it?

Yet there is just as undeniable evidence that for some it is experience related.

A friend of mine was totally straight until he went to Viet Nam. He had never been interested in sex with another male. He was out on patrol, separated from his unit. He found himself cold, hungry, scared, and his only warmth was his buddy laying next to him. Two eighteen year old guys not sure if they are going to live through the next day laying next too each other painfully aware they both had erections. By the time he got back to the states he was no longer interested in girls.

I knew a girl who was straight until her father caught her with a guy. He beat the guy up and told her if she was going to be a whore to some jerks who didn't pay a dime for her support she could at least be a whore to the man who supported her all her life. He raped her on the spot and she was never able to be with a man since.

There is also evidence that choice can play a part.

If you were interred in prison, or a prisoner of war, what choice would you make and how long would it take you to make it? What if you thought you would never leave?

What if you were the last two people on earth and the other was of a sex you had never desired before in your life, or even were repulsed by?

What choice would you make and how long would it take you to make it?

As with anything else, there is an innate predisposition that is activated by environmental conditions.

Yes, I had previously stated there is no medically acceptable test to prove a human is born straight and none that prove bi, gay, etc.
If anyone on here can provide the name of an accepted test, post it here.

But there is a preponderance of evidence. What...you looking for the human genome research to spend billions of dollars looking for that "gay gene"?:lol:
What difference would it make if it were found? People are still gay. Live with it.

"People are still gay. Live with it. " - exactly! We are who we are by nature and nurture, and there is no single reason why someone's gay, straight or bi. They just are. As they've always been for thousands of years.

But there is a preponderance of evidence. What...you looking for the human genome research to spend billions of dollars looking for that "gay gene"?:lol:
What difference would it make if it were found? People are still gay. Live with it.

There is also a preponderance of evidence that men are jerks.....still it does not make their actions right, in the eyes of a lot of people.

Back