A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

this reminds me of this video clip. Most of ya'all know that it is legal to lane-split in California but there's a catch - any accident resulting from lane splitting - it's automatically your fault as a biker unless there's a proof that the accident was caused by OTHER driver.
Even if it's legal it doesn't mean it's always prudent.

South Carolina law:

SECTION 56-5-3640. Motorcycle entitled to full use of lane; riding two or more abreast; overtaking and passing; operation in other instances. [SC ST SEC 56-5-3640] b) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (c) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic, or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

South Carolina state motorcycle laws

South Carolina law:

SECTION 56-5-3640. Motorcycle entitled to full use of lane; riding two or more abreast; overtaking and passing; operation in other instances. [SC ST SEC 56-5-3640] b) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (c) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic, or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

South Carolina state motorcycle laws

yea. pretty much same for most states. I think California is the only one that allows lane-splitting and it makes sense since handful of motorcycle accidents were caused by drivers not seeing bikers at red light. I see too many posts in motorcycle forum about rear-end accident. That's why I had 2 bright red LEDs (HyperLite - popular mod for many) installed that will blink continuously when braking. I let go of braking when the car behind me is at full stop because I don't want to induce photosensitive epilepsy :lol:

I think it's best to have maximum 3 brake lights (the more lights, the more distracting it is). on most bikes - it's just 1 small taillight - hardly visible.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdLmA8oTlzA]YouTube - Hyperlites Dual Function Flasher[/ame]

Here's a random question.

Today a motorcycle passed us in the opposite direction. On his windshield, he had a large white graphic decal of a hand in line art that looked like either the sign for "7" or an "ILY" with only the ring finger down. It went by fast on a turn, so I didn't get a clear look (also, I'm on meds today that make it hard for me to concentrate, so please excuse any fuzzy thinking today).

Have you seen this before, and what is the significance of this decal, if anything?

Here's a random question.

Today a motorcycle passed us in the opposite direction. On his windshield, he had a large white graphic decal of a hand in line art that looked like either the sign for "7" or an "ILY" with only the ring finger down. It went by fast on a turn, so I didn't get a clear look (also, I'm on meds today that make it hard for me to concentrate, so please excuse any fuzzy thinking today).

Have you seen this before, and what is the significance of this decal, if anything?

:hmm: he is possibly a Prithvi Mudra follower or he's just plain dang vulgar - a shocker hand.

med? are you in pain??

:hmm: he is possibly a Prithvi Mudra follower or he's just plain dang vulgar - a shocker hand.
:dunno:

med? are you in pain??
It's for my chronic hives. For the past two years I've been off and on Prednisone. I finally weaned myself off it at the end of March. For three weeks I was hives free and Prednisone free. It was wonderful. Then, the hives hit me again a few days ago, hard. So, I have to start the Prednisone regimen again. I start with a mega dose, then taper down over the months. It's the mega dose that makes me a little weird. The side effects, short term and long term, are not good. I'm trying to cope. :)

:dunno:

It's for my chronic hives. For the past two years I've been off and on Prednisone. I finally weaned myself off it at the end of March. For three weeks I was hives free and Prednisone free. It was wonderful. Then, the hives hit me again a few days ago, hard. So, I have to start the Prednisone regimen again. I start with a mega dose, then taper down over the months. It's the mega dose that makes me a little weird. The side effects, short term and long term, are not good. I'm trying to cope. :)

yike! cootie!
2i6khue.gif
(stolen from Liebling)

j/k get well soon, Reba!!!

Whats happened to another thread?

mygixxer002.jpg

Endemic - a big question for you. Honda's bike (CBR or Interceptor) is exactly similar as this Suzuki bike but I can't see any significant difference between it beside looks. What are they??? What makes you pick Sukie over Honda?

just came across this interesting clip

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmu79NxyFY]YouTube - LAPD Deputy Chief Hara Motorcycle Inspection For 100th Anniversary[/ame]

Deputy Chief Terry Hara's full-length speech with video highlights of his historical motorcycle inspection. This year 2009, marks the 100th year anniversary of police motocycles in the LAPD. Chief Hara is the highest-ranking LAPD official to ride a police motorcycle. A vintage 1940's LAPD Harley Davidson is featured, as well as Chief Hara's police motorcycle.

mess under the car? GOOD! that's a REAL MAN way. get your hands all dirty and have a couple of oil stains on your garage floor! :cool2: and secondly - expensive... because you have to send it in for repair or replace the parts. Do you really think this same device will be fine for years? lastly - how often do you change oil? The oil is going to get dried up in that machine and it could get cloggy. just about every mechanics I know including Reba's husband do it the good ole' fashioned way... oil pan and towel :)

tip - get a brake cleaner spray and it'll clean up the oil stain on floor quite nice.

some people put in wrong oil/fluid in motorcycle. For example - my motorcycle uses 1 oil for everything including engine lubrication. Harley Davidson doesn't. It uses 2 different oil. I'm sure you've heard of people using wrong oil/fluid in their car, don't you? Some people actually poured coolant fluid in container for wiper :giggle:

ok but this thread is about motorcycle, not car. we don't need to take engine pan off and transmission pan off. that's why we have motorcycles. so easy to maintain :) but if it's hard to do simple stuff on motorcycle, then it's a stupid bike. My bike is perfect and simple. Just remove this engine guard and huge bolt at the bottom. bam. simple. 5 min job. Other bikes like japanese - takes like 15 min or so. why? gotta remove all these plastic covers.

because I don't have tools, lift, garage and expertise. it's a 12k maintenance. My engine needs to be taken apart and recalibrated and my entire rear section must be taken apart to lube the swingarm. Know how to do that and got tools for it? It's a $5,000 engine and some :)

this must be done every 12k miles. By the time it's 2nd 12k maintenance, I'll be doing everything myself. I asked him to teach me on some stuff and he will.

Just dump the used oil at container after you used it. Not everyone own the garage and how can you change the oil at winter time like snow? I don't want to spend money to buy the lift for lawn tractor.

The transmission pan and the engine pan are not just for car only as you said. It's happen to everything like jet ski, boat, and lawn tractor. Without oil extractor then take long way.

Real man do spill oil on the driveway? It's real stupid and ego! It is very bad for our dogs and hurt to our house's value. I am agreed with Reba about bad environmental. The towel and the brake cleaner spray are hug waste of time to clean up. Probably take more than 30min to change oil and clean up. I prefer oil extractor and it take under 5min for everything for our cars, our lawn tractor, and soon be motorcycle over your tip.

The old fashion is not always good due bad health and risk.

What's your point about wrong mix oil? It's do nothing with oil extractor. The oil extractor is for pump USED oil out ONLY, not fill the brand new oil.

Just dump the used oil at container after you used it. Not everyone own the garage and how can you change the oil at winter time like snow?
well I don't know who changes oil during winter unless you're a winter rider. It's pretty dang cold and pointless to change oil if you're not gonna ride in winter. People change it in spring time. You can change oil anywhere you want... even on street (for those who lives in city). Just get a piece of cardboard and oil pan. simple. works for me. works for my New Yorker friends. no problem. nothing messy - just your hand. that's what towel is for :)

I don't want to spend money to buy the lift for lawn tractor.

The transmission pan and the engine pan are not just for car only as you said. It's happen to everything like jet ski, boat, and lawn tractor. Without oil extractor then take long way.
again - this thread is about motorcycle, not jet ski, boat, lawn tractor. The oil extractor thing is not necessary for motorcycle. Like I said - I have never heard of people using that device for motorcycle. My motorcycle forum is one of the largest forum with over 100,000 members from around the world. I have never seen anybody mentioning about it. But hey - that doesn't mean it's not wrong to use it. Just that it's not necessary and not really advisable because most of the oil is at the bottom, not in oil tank.

Real man do spill oil on the driveway? It's real stupid and ego! It is very bad for our dogs and hurt to our house's value. I am agreed with Reba about bad environmental. The towel and the brake cleaner spray are hug waste of time to clean up. Probably take more than 30min to change oil and clean up. I prefer oil extractor and it take under 5min for everything for our cars, our lawn tractor, and soon be motorcycle over your tip.

The old fashion is not always good due bad health and risk.
that's fine. your choice. I strongly advise against using oil extractor for motorcycle since most of oil will be at the bottom of machine, not oil tank but again - your choice.

What's your point about wrong mix oil? It's do nothing with oil extractor. The oil extractor is for pump USED oil out ONLY, not fill the brand new oil.
read again, Highlander. What are you gonna do if somebody pours in wrong oil or too much oil? You have to suction it out, right? You know what we used? suction basting tube for turkey :lol:

31XEZVMHJML.jpg

Highlander - check out few of these clips on how to change oil in motorcycle.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eroSUporeI]YouTube - How to change oil on a 2-stroke motorcycle/ATV[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6FfuvKCX8]YouTube - How to change the oil in a motorcycle[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GYYQG7rRMg]YouTube - kawasaki ZX636 05-06 motorcycle OIL CHANGE[/ame]

for more video clips -
YouTube - motorcycle oil change

I haven't find any clips of anybody using oil extractor device for motorcycle :dunno: but I like the pump thing in your post - the 2nd link. good for car or any big machine. don't get the one that requires electricity like the first link in your post. You can't really "pop" the hood to connect it to battery. It takes 15 min or so to take the bike cover out to get to battery.

what decals do you have on your bike? post a pix!

mine's on my windshield

9417_866974514049_8825246_49114265_4240014_n.jpg

it's this decal -
845364516_D2c8D-S.jpg

I also have this on my side cases
259188976_qghCe-S.jpg

well I don't know who changes oil during winter unless you're a winter rider. It's pretty dang cold and pointless to change oil if you're not gonna ride in winter. People change it in spring time. You can change oil anywhere you want... even on street (for those who lives in city). Just get a piece of cardboard and oil pan. simple. works for me. works for my New Yorker friends. no problem. nothing messy - just your hand. that's what towel is for :)

again - this thread is about motorcycle, not jet ski, boat, lawn tractor. The oil extractor thing is not necessary for motorcycle. Like I said - I have never heard of people using that device for motorcycle. My motorcycle forum is one of the largest forum with over 100,000 members from around the world. I have never seen anybody mentioning about it. But hey - that doesn't mean it's not wrong to use it. Just that it's not necessary and not really advisable because most of the oil is at the bottom, not in oil tank.

that's fine. your choice. I strongly advise against using oil extractor for motorcycle since most of oil will be at the bottom of machine, not oil tank but again - your choice.

read again, Highlander. What are you gonna do if somebody pours in wrong oil or too much oil? You have to suction it out, right? You know what we used? suction basting tube for turkey :lol:

31XEZVMHJML.jpg

Well, This is perfect for cars and not worry about change oil during snow. You get the idea.

LiquidVac-Harley Davidson Oil Change Vacuum Example

Someone did motorcycle with oil extractor. It's about no mess and no tools need. The basting tube for turkey is perfect for brake fluid but oil? I never let anyone change our cars and I always double check brand of oil before pour and never get too much oil before.

Well, This is perfect for cars and not worry about change oil during snow. You get the idea.

LiquidVac-Harley Davidson Oil Change Vacuum Example
ah! harley! of course!!!!! :lol: (sorry - it's an inside joke at biker forum)

Someone did motorcycle with oil extractor.
well - it's an advertisement. my friends with harley don't do this way anyway.

It's about no mess and no tools need. The basting tube for turkey is perfect for brake fluid but oil? I never let anyone change our cars and I always double check brand of oil before pour and never get too much oil.

yes - mistake happens. My friend poured wrong oil in Buell bike because he didn't know Buell (and HD) uses 2 different oil. BMW uses just 1. not a huge problem but the viscosity in both oils are different. I don't know about japanese bikes so I'll ask Endemic. so what you gonna do if you pour wrong oil by mistake? You'll have to suck it out with turkey basting tube or you'll risk damaging your bike if you circulate it. Too bad HD is discontinued Buell line.

btw - why would you use turkey basting tube for brake fluid? to fill it up?

Endemic - a big question for you. Honda's bike (CBR or Interceptor) is exactly similar as this Suzuki bike but I can't see any significant difference between it beside looks. What are they??? What makes you pick Sukie over Honda?

Yes that's a good question.

09 Honda cbr 600 is pretty nice and very fast in the straight road but weak at cornering. The gsxr 600 is pretty good at cornering, I am comfortable with gsxr. If i am a little more taller I would pick 09 ZX6R and second choice is 09 R6 anyday. I did ride both when , zx6r is god! R6 had a great ratio and awesome at cornering and engine braking too but the seat height isn't right for me when to stop at light i have to stand with one foot. I prefer to have my both feet is fully down to the ground so gsxr is perfect for me.

I do not want to adjustable to low the bike because it possible ruin cornering a bit. My old r1 with 2 inches drop I am not comfortable to ride it at cornering because bottom fender will to touch the road if cornering hard. so i decided to leave my gsxr height as stock i love my gsxr600 so much since i bought it. I am happy with my new purchase.

P.S. Sorry if english isn't great.

Yes that's a good question.

09 Honda cbr 600 is pretty nice and very fast in the straight road but weak at cornering. The gsxr 600 is pretty good at cornering, I am comfortable with gsxr. If i am a little more taller I would pick 09 ZX6R and second choice is 09 R6 anyday. I did ride both when , zx6r is god! R6 had a great ratio and awesome at cornering and engine braking too but the seat height isn't right for me when to stop at light i have to stand with one foot. I prefer to have my both feet is fully down to the ground so gsxr is perfect for me.

I do not want to adjustable to low the bike because it possible ruin cornering a bit. My old r1 with 2 inches drop I am not comfortable to ride it at cornering because bottom fender will to touch the road if cornering hard. so i decided to leave my gsxr height as stock i love my gsxr600 so much since i bought it. I am happy with my new purchase.

ah-ha.... :ty: what is your seat height? mine's at around 29" - dropped 2 inches with Kouba Link. I hate it when most cool bikes are at 31". Because of reduced height - I did grind my foot pegs sometimes... my boots too. :twisted:

I find it strange that you say CBR isn't great at cornering because CBR is 5-times world champion or something. perhaps CBR makes up for poor cornering with its speed at straightaway??? :hmm:

P.S. Sorry if english isn't great.
pft whatca ya talking about? I understand you perfectly!

ah! harley! of course!!!!! :lol: (sorry - it's an inside joke at biker forum)

well - it's an advertisement. my friends with harley don't do this way anyway.

yes - mistake happens. My friend poured wrong oil in Buell bike because he didn't know Buell (and HD) uses 2 different oil. BMW uses just 1. not a huge problem but the viscosity in both oils are different. I don't know about japanese bikes so I'll ask Endemic. so what you gonna do if you pour wrong oil by mistake? You'll have to suck it out with turkey basting tube or you'll risk damaging your bike if you circulate it. Too bad HD is discontinued Buell line.

btw - why would you use turkey basting tube for brake fluid? to fill it up?

Everyone should change the brake fluid each 30k to 80k or two to four years depend on the brand and drive. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air at the rate of about 2% per year. As the brake fluid absorbs water, its boiling temperature decreases. I use turkey basting tube to suck old brake fluid out if you see brake fluid is black. New brake fluid should be clear or amber.

Do you know why most motorcycles use DOT 5 brake fluid?

Everyone should change the brake fluid each 30k to 80k or two to four years depend on the brand and drive.
not for bikes. It's around 6k-10k or every 2 years. For riders who ride often - probably once a year.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air at the rate of about 2% per year. As the brake fluid absorbs water, its boiling temperature decreases. I use turkey basting tube to suck old brake fluid out if you see brake fluid is black. New brake fluid should be clear or amber.
but... why don't you just bleed it instead? it's simpler and safer that way. How do you suck out old brake fluid in the tube anyway? You gotta flush it.

This is a proper kit (or similar) for bleeding brake fluid -
415A50887DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

it's cheap and simple. only $40 (more or less). I have never heard of people changing brake fluid with turkey basting tube but if using turkey basting tube is how you change brake fluid for cars..... then stay away from my car :lol:

Do you know why most motorcycles use DOT 5 brake fluid?
are you sure? Most bikes use DOT 4, not 5. my bike uses DOT 4. Reba's hubby's bike uses DOT 4. so does Ducati bikes and goldwing. it's 2 completely different chemical. Using wrong one will kill your brake system and most likely your life. sure DOT 5 is nice that it doesn't absorb moisture and all. It's a lot of trouble to switch to it and risky! better stick with factory specification.

btw - on bike... if your brake fluid is black.... oh boy....... you're lucky to be in one piece! You should not wait until your brake fluid is black!!!! :nono:

Back