A letter...

RosesNY

Reaction score
I got this e mail from one of my freind and don't know who write that but I like to share you of this letter . Also it very long letter

FOR hearing parents who expected too much of thirs deaf child(ren)

Dear Mom and Dad
I saw my old teacher today. You know the one, she was my preschool teacher, the one that was Deaf like me. I wanted to go to her . To tell her how much she had given to me when I was in her class. But I was ashamed. I didn't want her to see the scar on my head. I didn't want her to see the equipment attached to my body I didn't want her to see that i had forgotten so much of the beautilful language she had shared with me that one wonderful year. I saw her in a crowd of Deaf people. I watched her as she conversed with her friends. She was so much a part of everything that was going on They seemed to understood each other perfectly and there was no fear or tension in thirs conversation; everything seemed so easy for them. It was beautiful to me and i could have watched all day. even though i understood very little. But my mind began to wander. I thought back on my life and how different it must have been to theses people I saw before me. I remeber preschool vaguely as a happy time full of worlds opening up to me. There was colors and beauty and fun and understanding. I remeber i worshipped my teacherl she was the first Deaf person I 'd ever seen besides myseft. I wasn't different to her; I didn't have to pretend to be someone else to gain her acceptance. I loved her. I remember this. I was happy. I remember having to leave her . too after only one year, I remember it as the beginning of my loneliness; the beginning of isolation and fear. I remember the surgery and how painful it was. I still, to this day, can't look the pictures of my head all bandaged up without wanting to cry out in pain and frustration. I heard my first sound a month later when they hooked me up to all the equipment I would have to endure for the rest of my life. The sound frightened me, but my cry of fear seemed to make you happy, so I endured ot for your sakes; because I loved you and wanted you to be pround of me but I was not send to back to the teacher I loved because you didn't wants
her to become a role model for me. ( it not done yet i will do 2nd one)

She was Deaf and you wanted me to be hearing, so I was kept away from her and all other Deaf people. then i was put in a classroom with hearing children and given an Interpreter. But his sign were stranage to me and i struggled to make senes of them. they weren't like the beautiful signs my Deaf teacher used but you were happy. Next came years and years of intenes speech therapy I learned fast and each improvement in my speech seemed yo make you more pround of me. Everyone was so excited about my progress that they decided to take away my interpreter and let me struggle along in the hearing world without him. I realized then how much i needed him even though he was difficult to understand. I was left completely alone but you were happy. MY speech was excellent but i understood nothing , I remember a blur of lips and a lot of noise that was hopelessly out of reach of my uunderstanding but you were happy. But I was a good actress I learned to cope and even learned to understand a few words if they were spoken clearly. I know by looking a people "s expressions when they were asking me a question and i learned quicky that the right answer was mostly "yes" So everyone thought I understood very well. My entire life was like being in a play , trying to play a part without a script. and i was good at it. I guessed well and please everyone: Mon and Dad you were so pround of me you were happy. But the play got harder and harder and i guessed wrong more and more I become quiet and learned to blend into the background, hoping oneone would see me and try to talk to me> i had no freinds and didn't try to make any beacause it would mean trying ( 3 pages is coming soon)

Sounds like a non-cochlear implanted Deafie with denial and self-esteem issues wrote this to promote the Deaf Propaganda.

Petty jealousy and a way of getting you to "sympathize" with the CI kids. It's no Nazi Holocaust, stop being so over-dramatic about it. It's just a technology, nothing more.

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Getting an e-mail from an unknown source tend to contain a large amount of false and inaccurate in many cases.

Though I'm not saying that the deaf community itself is bad. In fact, I think it's great. It's just stuff like this crap that makes me crick, it doesn't promote diversity at all.

to communicate and i just wasn't very good at that . I was terribly lonely. I just seem to fit in anywhere. But you were happy. I was paraded out of all to see because my implant was so successful. Everyone was amazed at my speech. But i was embarrassed standing up in front of all thoses people because i didn't think i was such as success. My speech was perfect but I understood nothing of my world. But you were happy. Now I see my old teacher again and I remember that one year, The years of my happiness. The entire rest of my life were the years of YOURS happiness, not mine. She see me now and recognizes me. She runs up to me and hugs me and ask me how I ve been and i say fine Then begin to cry I cry for all the years of my life that have been wasted for your happiness and loneliness, isolation. I ve felt since I left this wonderful Deaf woman I realized that my life began and ended with this one woman in that one beautiful year . She held me then. She noticed the scar and the equipment and held me tigther. "SHOW ME YOUR WORLD!" I begged in my mind. Show me your language and your life! save me from my darkness! set me free! i know she understood when she

when she gently removed the wires and from my head

I was so HAPPY Now it my turn to make my life happy

I don't know who write this

I am so sorry it so long letter !

sighs. being overdramatic eh.. :dunno: for one thing if that person who wrote it didnt like his implant then why didnt he take it off long time ago?!? He kept it on.

Beside its email, dont give shit about emails.

I dunno Banjo......I think this letter hits it DEAD ON as to the lonliness and isolation that a lot of orally trained dhh kids go through.

deafdyke said:
I dunno Banjo......I think this letter hits it DEAD ON as to the lonliness and isolation that a lot of orally trained dhh kids go through.

You have a point there, but how do we know that this person is telling the truth about being implanted with a cochlear implant?

That's the thing about e-mails, they're often inaccurate or false.

Ya know it is NOT just CI people but people who have hearing aids too BTE hearing aids. So it is NOT just limited to ONE area. I have met parents who have their kids with hearing aids and have the same expectations. And I'm sorry I have to say one thing, CI does NOT CURE deafness they are STILL deaf. CI just merely a technology that helps to function in the real world. I'm sorry there is like only 1 percent of us and 99 percent of them.

I don't know why you guys are worrying so much about if this email is real or not, i think it's the message that's trying to be conveyed. I can understand it, but i don't really care if it's real or not.

Breezy said:
I don't know why you guys are worrying so much about if this email is real or not, i think it's the message that's trying to be conveyed. I can understand it, but i don't really care if it's real or not.

The message is WORTHLESS if it is found to be false. Period.

I have met parents who have their kids with hearing aids and have the same expectations.
Ditto.....audist oralism can be practiced JUST as well with aids, as with CIs!
Banjo, I see what you mean in terms of fake e-mails.....it might be inflammatory propaganda......but on the other hand....I dunno.

The core message does ring true whether or not the email itself is true or false. Many many Deaf kids who are forced into the "hearing" world at a young age, going to speech therapy, etc.. feel very very lonely. I know I did! I didn't get a CI until I was an adult and I'm very happy with it, but I made the decision as an ADULT. Many kids don't get a choice when their parents make the decision for them. Whether they are successful with the CI itself is irrevelant, because they are STILL Deaf and therefore isolated and marked as "different" than hearing kids. Who is to say they are going to like it or not? I remmy watching "Sound and Fury", the hearing parents who implanted their deaf son said they felt like they were securing their son's social and intellectual future by having him get the CI... but who is to know what the future will be for ANY child, hearing or deaf? A perfectly hearing child could end up having a host of learning disabilities, emotional disturbances, etc, etc... just as easily as a deaf child could. On the other hand, a totally deaf child allowed to flourish in the Deaf community could very well have the potential to excel intellectually and socially, perhaps equally or more so than their hearing peers...

Not trying to start a war here or anything, just my opinion.

Whoa was it that bad fer him? I'm perfectly happy with my CI and I don't feel lonely. Btw got CI when I was 3 and now I'm 13.

I remmy watching "Sound and Fury", the hearing parents who implanted their deaf son said they felt like they were securing their son's social and intellectual future by having him get the CI.
Tell me about it! Social future? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....Even most superstars have a lot of trouble with social skills or really fitting into the hearing community. Yeah, I don't have a CI, but I am pretty much hoh, and a CI makes you functionally hoh......We hoh folks KNOW 100% what CId kids are going through....
Nikii, that's good that you're doing well socially but many oral deaf and hoh folks don't do well socially. It's like they feel a part of the hearing world, but they don't feel 100% a part of the hearing world.

Oh and Banjo, I don't think it was written by a Deafie....the grammar doesn't seem particualrly "deaf"

Back