A Gun Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

My brother's niece carries guns and goes to the range all her life since she was a kid. Her father is a firearm expert. She couldn't keep her face straight when the guy claims to know about guns told her AR stands for assault rifle. :dunno2:

My brother's niece carries guns and goes to the range all her life since she was a kid. Her father is a firearm expert. She couldn't keep her face straight when the guy claims to know about guns told her AR stands for assault rifle. :dunno2:

At the risk of looking like a fool, is it short for Armalite?

At the risk of looking like a fool, is it short for Armalite?
ArmaLite. :)

Next question for your entertainment--what does AK, such as in AK-47, stand for? :D

Hint: not Australian Kangaroo.

Next question for your entertainment--what does AK, such as in AK-47, stand for? :D

I have a good excuse. I don't speak or write Russian. Except nyet.

@sonocativo

16991692_424275597910015_4729514010808396113_o.jpg

Originally it stood for the "Assault Kilt size 47" worn by the 51st Scots Infantry Brigade before it was replaced by the black nylon tactical kilt worn today.

A few years ago I fired a friend's Ingram MAC-10 into a river. It had real kick and the clip was empty in seconds. He swears it is more powerful with a silencer, with the latter reducing the noise to almost a burp. Is that true? Always wondered.

Old style silencers with wipes would slow the bullet down a little. Modern ones will have to effect on velocity. He's probably noticing the recoil more with the boom gone.

A few years ago I fired a friend's Ingram MAC-10 into a river. It had real kick and the clip was empty in seconds. He swears it is more powerful with a silencer, with the latter reducing the noise to almost a burp. Is that true? Always wondered.
Silencers do nothing to add power, they will actually slow ammo down as well as damage the ammo, thats why a bullet fired from a silencer cant be matched to the gun becaus it "shaves" the bullet since they arent perfectly centered with the barrel of the gun.

That was the old style that had "wipes" The first round punched a hole in the wipe and then every round after squeaked through the hole shaving off FPS and a little bullet. Modern silencers are machined to tight tolerances so there is a very small amount of space around the bullet when it passes through. No loss in power but certainly no gain either.

That was the old style that had "wipes" The first round punched a hole in the wipe and then every round after squeaked through the hole shaving off FPS and a little bullet. Modern silencers are machined to tight tolerances so there is a very small amount of space around the bullet when it passes through. No loss in power but certainly no gain either.
BUT once its removed and re-installed it changes the geometry and centerline of the hole to the barrel alignment... I read a long article about them and why certain people like them ( to change markings on the bullet so they wont match the gun in a crime ) To even own a silencer you have to buy a "stamp" going through a long process with the ATF to qualify to own and or make one. Only a few states still classify them as illegal to own.

"Modern suppressors allow the use of full-power ammunition, do not reduce the muzzle velocity, do not contact the bullet during flight, and often aid accuracy." http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/suppressors-what-you-need-to-know/

There is also a bill that has been reintroduced (keeping my fingers crossed):

"The bill, the Hearing Protection Act of 2017, was introduced Jan. 9 by Reps. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina and John Carter of Texas, both Republicans, and has 68 sponsors in all."

"It would retroactively remove the $200 tax on suppressors, and remove them from regulation under the National Firearms Act, in the name of reducing shooters' hearing loss."

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...ms-as-deregulation-bill-heads-for-debate.html

"Modern suppressors allow the use of full-power ammunition, do not reduce the muzzle velocity, do not contact the bullet during flight, and often aid accuracy." http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/suppressors-what-you-need-to-know/

There is also a bill that has been reintroduced (keeping my fingers crossed):

"The bill, the Hearing Protection Act of 2017, was introduced Jan. 9 by Reps. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina and John Carter of Texas, both Republicans, and has 68 sponsors in all."

"It would retroactively remove the $200 tax on suppressors, and remove them from regulation under the National Firearms Act, in the name of reducing shooters' hearing loss."

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...ms-as-deregulation-bill-heads-for-debate.html
But still some states wont allow them when hunting.... that could change soon as well?

Maine changed last year or the year before so now we can hunt with suppressors. I think there may have been some other states that have changed recently.

Back