A Dose Of Realty

Yeah right right that I mean many deaf people in some area think "VRS never help me find job" that their attitude, I hate it!

sounds to me they want someone to hold their hand.

Sigh . . .

Chucky came here asking for some real help. I hope we haven't discouraged him with all this personal one upmanship bickering.

Chucky, hang in there. I'm praying that you'll get the assistance you need in order to get the job that is right for you. :hug:

no, it's nothing like that. He just trying to show what VRS is for. And what it isn't for. I know Chucky is a tough man, I can tell from his posts. (and being a trucker on CB, well, there more tough talks than you think). Even though, I do know losing your hearing is tough on anyone.

btw, Linux, some VRS do have job search for people with disability (or search jobs for them). So I can see why some people think VRS suppose to help them find jobs (but some of them do expect VRS do all the work like talking to the employee into hiring them and such)

Chuck, you can get any jobs, but you'll need accommodation to survive in hearing world. Many jobs require communication, especially phone skills. This is why you need to go to VRS and see what they can offer.

Chuck, you can read Reba's link and see if you can get in touch with these people and they might help you with your needs?

OK, to reiterate myself ........................
I am finished with trucking!
My hearing problems are, more than less -The final nail in the coffin!

Comprende? lol

From my understanding of VR in Michigan, they are extremely short of funding. They will be more than glad to help pay for HA's, but most likely not CI's. Although, that is on a case by case thing. And in my case ........ they won't pay for a CI, since I'm not deef enough, nor is it contingent/imperative for employment/education wise.

I get a laugh out of people who think VR is some sort of - "insurance program" thru the State - like Medicaid. au contrare! lol

For employment/education assistance ........... they will help w/ some $ for some gas, clothing, stuff like that - but won't pay for $30k MSU tuition (or even $5k St Clair County Community College, either!), lol

I personally, have no desire to have a CI, at this time. Why? besides insurance, no job, et al? Well, basically - just don't have a desire for one.

From what I have read - they can be just as - "interesting", to getting used to having - just like a regular HA.

Plus, if CI's were such the cat's meow ........ how come there are only (about) 25000 Ci wearers, compared to a 500,000 (+/-) deaf population (US only)? Yeah, I know about the big factors; cost, insurance, and all the other etc's ........ but that's only like what? at most 1/2 the population?

...Well, I gotta run .......... so will come back l8r!

-charles
Got it. :Oops:

I'm just catching up with all the posts in your thread, so now I realize several of my prior posts are irrelevant to your desires. I apologize for that. I wasn't trying to ignore your wishes.

I don't believe CI is right for everyone. However, I do believe that the CI surgery should be available to every adult who has done the research and has reasonable expectations on the CI pro's and con's.

There is no way for anyone to make a blanket statement about VR "benefits" since each state does it differently. In South Carolina, where I live and work, deaf college students get their tuition and books paid for by VR. They are also eligible for Pell grants, lottery tuition funds, and monthly living expense stipends. The college provides FM systems, interpreters, and other services at no cost to the students.

I know that Michigan is particularly strapped for VR and employment-related funds now, and to make matters worse, tuition keeps increasing.

I don't believe in manipulating the system but I do believe it sometimes takes some persistent digging and maneuvering to get everything to which you are entitled within the systems.

You paid into the Michigan state system thru your taxes for probably 30+ years, so you should expect to get a little something back from the state.

OK, to reiterate myself ........................
I am finished with trucking!

My hearing problems are, more than less - The final nail in the coffin!

Comprende? lol

From my understanding of VR in Michigan, they are extremely short of funding. They will be more than glad to help pay for HA's, but most likely not CI's. Although, that is on a case by case thing. And in my case ........ they won't pay for a CI, since I'm not deef enough, nor is it contingent/imperative for employment/education wise.

I get a laugh out of people who think VR is some sort of - "insurance program" thru the State - like Medicaid. au contrare! lol

For employment/education assistance ........... they will help w/ some $ for some gas, clothing, stuff like that - but won't pay for $30k MSU tuition (or even $5k St Clair County Community College, either!), lol

I personally, have no desire to have a CI, at this time. Why? besides insurance, no job, et al? Well, basically - just don't have a desire for one.

From what I have read - they can be just as - "interesting", to getting used to having - just like a regular HA.

Plus, if CI's were such the cat's meow ........ how come there are only (about) 25000 Ci wearers, compared to a 500,000 (+/-) deaf population (US only)? Yeah, I know about the big factors; cost, insurance, and all the other etc's ........ but that's only like what? at most 1/2 the population?

I gotta chuckle outta Jillio & pfh; a couple of times, y'all was saying the same thing - just worded different! And to admonish pfh ....... people who manipulate the system for their benefit, and yes - I've heard about all the arguments - just don't rate that high in my book. I find it rather hard to - "Trust", someone who manipulates the system for their own gain. But, sometimes that too - is on a case by case basis.

Jiro - you big manly, man .......... "Sure" you just watch it for the - :naughty: Admit it ....... it's your feminine side showing! lol

UFC is a violent sport ......... As a matter of fact - from what I've been told, it's just a few hairs above legal to be even on satellite tv! :eek3:

Well, I gotta run .......... so will come back l8r!

-charles

;)
Charles - I knew. I even told her that you were done. I also knew you didn't want a CI.

Again, I want to make something clear. There is more than 200,000 CI users, not just 25,000.

Feel free to have your opinion of me. The more people hate me the more I smile. ;)

Anyhoo, I do sincerely wish you the best.

Matt

No, but there are jobs where hearing is a requirement, such as Chucky's DOT job.

Of course there are. But that was not the claim. The claim was a job where a CI was required.

Many jobs, particularly those involved with public safety in any way, have physical criteria that must be met. The fact that the DOT job does require hearing is the very reason that I recommended he consult BVR regarding education and retraining for a different type of job.

Yeah right right that I mean many deaf people in some area think "VRS never help me find job" that their attitude, I hate it!

Yeah, I know people, whether hearing or not ...... have that idea - drives me nuts!
What Michigan VocRehab Is;
A place where residents of the State of Michigan can go to, that have some sort of impairment, for resources/counseling.

What Mich VocRehab Isn't;
A babysitting service, nor your mother - they will not hold your lazzy-azed hand, and do everything for you! Nor give you everything you want!

-charles

Of course there are. But that was not the claim. The claim was a job where a CI was required.

Many jobs, particularly those involved with public safety in any way, have physical criteria that must be met. The fact that the DOT job does require hearing is the very reason that I recommended he consult BVR regarding education and retraining for a different type of job.

Which is what I am in the process of doing! ;)

-charles

If there are going to a day that employers wont hire a deaf person because he/she doesnt have CIs, that would be a sad day.

ehh TN VR is gonna cover my new aids actually, but I'm sure they're gonna try pushing for me to get a CI but I don't want one just newer aids cause the ones I got now are OLD as heck!!!! I've got to the point in my Life where I want to do more just like the OP... I feel censored by my deafness since my wife and interpreters I use as there are times I want to chew out someone royally but yeah not doable as these 2 ladies are just too weak and femble to even repeat what I say :( LOL

ehh TN VR is gonna cover my new aids actually, but I'm sure they're gonna try pushing for me to get a CI but I don't want one just newer aids cause the ones I got now are OLD as heck!!!! I've got to the point in my Life where I want to do more just like the OP... I feel censored by my deafness since my wife and interpreters I use as there are times I want to chew out someone royally but yeah not doable as these 2 ladies are just too weak and femble to even repeat what I say :( LOL
:eek3:

Sorry to hear. I wouldn't ever think of chewing out my wife. Eating her out perhaps, but chewing out? Never.

Sorry to hear. I wouldn't ever think of chewing out my wife. Eating her out perhaps, but chewing out? Never.

LOL Me either.... Eattin' out! mmm sure!

But In simple Deafie layman terms that "chewing out" term means

Arguing and talkin' out loud, mad towards someone It doesn't mean chew\ eat out someone...

I'm sure you've came across some hearing person that has pissed you off really bad and you want to cuss and chew the SOB out, Yet some of us aren't able to due to speech difficulties!

I'm pushing to get new aids so I can go on and start speech therapy and do much more in my life!

That is just one of the benefits I'd get!! :D Yes!!

Back