A Deafie's Pet Peeve About Living Among The Hearies

Chase

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm the only deaf person in my circle of friends. I'm sure many hearies view my deafness as a hurdle to communications. This thread is a discussions of some problems innocently caused by those who don't understand ASL, lip-reading, notes, etcetera.

Pet peeve #1. :yesway: thumbs up for everything from soup to nuts. When I'm introduced to someone new or I let a person I just met know I'm deaf, many suddenly begin to throw :yesway: thumbs up in the air. Not just for "okay" or "all right" but for everything.

Me: Hi, my name's Chase.
Them: :yesway:

Me: What's your name?

Me: Actually, the sign for "chase" is one thumb up chasing the other thumb up.

Me: Well, nice to meet you. Goodbye.

If you're a deafie, what's your pet peeve?

e

DeafNerdMommy said, "My is when people start yelling at me..." :eek:

Yep, yelling doesn't help me a bit. However, like your experience with HoH, when hearies talk a lot louder, they seem to articulate words better, and often I can read their lips easier. :ty:

Ha ha ha, the downside is everyone turns to look at us like we're fighting.:pissed::pissed:

I always thought so too. But others have said that's common. To each their own, I guess.

its certainly not a put down
we use Deafie for each other all the time,,,since my first walk down the halls of Deafie school for heavens sake...its certainly not a put down. far from it. were not that screwed up to constantly and always put each other down...no no..
its properly termed a "term of endearment"

different cultures use words their way
next we will see people as we already do, complaining that we use the capital D in Deaf..and that offends them..(and it does offend many)

this thread about hearies...
i love them all....

"Nevermind, I'll tell you later" happens occassionally.

It does happen occasionally. Then again I have at times used something similar as the one that is not understanding enough to really reply but can tell it is not that important.

People whispering right in front of ! @DeafNerdMommy hearing people think that being HOH only mean you can't hear very good and that is not true.
I can hear people but not be able to understand certain words especially when on the phone , and when this happen the person will start yelling at me !
I will have to tell them stop yelling at me it not going to help and they still don't get it . GRRR!

People whispering right in front of ! @DeafNerdMommy hearing people think that being HOH only mean you can't hear very good and that is not true.
I can hear people but not be able to understand certain words especially when on the phone , and when this happen the person will start yelling at me !
I will have to tell them stop yelling at me it not going to help and they still don't get it . GRRR!

I understand that

"Nevermind, I'll tell you later"

Yep, "Nevermind" is very frustrating to me. If it wasn't important, then why say it in the first place. Nevermind just means to me the person can't organize his or her thoughts very well.

When they talk and talk even though I mention I'm not hearing them.

Then I write on a piece of paper or type in my phone, "I don't know, but I keep seeing your lips move and all I can think to myself is, 'Man, I really hope he isn't talking to the voices in his head.'"

Works like a charm.

On this site I find the use of the terms hearie and deafie VERY, VERY annoying. It seems a "put down" or making fun of BOTH groups.

It IS kind of making fun, as in "them" versus "us"--"hearies" opposed to "deafies."

Before the equal terms, only the hearing kind of "put down" those of us who were deaf. Now, we deafies can tease back.

And yes, "deafie" is a term of endearment my sweetie uses for me. She's my cute "hearie."

I was called deafie when I was younger by 2 sisters and ex brother and it sure wasn't a " term of endearment " . I still don't like the word today. This is my personal feeling , other people feel difference about this and that is fine with me.

Back