911 on unused landline phone lines

Well, I went ahead and dumped Verizon. We don't hear any dial tone on it now. How can you tell if 911 is working?

dkf747 said:
Well, I went ahead and dumped Verizon. We don't hear any dial tone on it now. How can you tell if 911 is working?
Some cell phones show "Emergency Only" on their screens, or "911 use only" or "Emergency Service Only".

Thanks Reba, but I was referring to a landline rather than a cell phone.

dkf747 said:
Thanks Reba, but I was referring to a landline rather than a cell phone.
Oops! My bad. I think of Verizon as a cell company, not landline. :Oops:

dkf747 said:

No soft dial tone at all, so far. Looks like I need to go back to landline service.

There is very interesting for me because I dont have mine yet but my eye to listen what they said here. I hope, in one day I will have it . :ily:

Originally Posted by dkf747: Won't I get in trouble for that?

Reba said:
Yeah, that's what I thought.

No no no no.

Just dial 911 then once they reply via the tdd. Just inform that it is for test to dial the 911 via the TDD. Be sure to thank shortly since 911 always records your converation. Just be nice and I do not want to see you getting into trouble with police officers. ;)

Do not hestiate to contact. Just dial 911 to ensure that your landline without service still works.

I have tested 911 in a big city. The 911 operator understood and gladly to assisted me.

Let me know if your phone without service still works for 911.

Thanks

Thats right, you won't get in trouble by calling them and inform them that this is only test and wanted to see everything works so they know your preparing for emergency. ALL emergency personals always have continue training and prepariness.This way, you'd better able handle in stressful situation, without this kind of prepareness your going to have trouble dealing with stress and confusion.

Have I done that? Sure I did! Do NOT I mean NEVER call and say nothing and hang up, because less than 5 minutes cop will be at your front door with EMT, and this can get you in trouble. So, let them know. If they were NOT equipped with TTY, thats okay wait til cop comes up and you tell him I tried to test call them with TTY and none of them work, and Im damn concern what if I had real emergency?! They will understand and will work on it to get the TTY part fixed.

mld4ds said:
No no no no.

Just dial 911 then once they reply via the tdd. Just inform that it is for test to dial the 911 via the TDD. Be sure to thank shortly since 911 always records your converation. Just be nice and I do not want to see you getting into trouble with police officers. ;)

Do not hestiate to contact. Just dial 911 to ensure that your landline without service still works.

I have tested 911 in a big city. The 911 operator understood and gladly to assisted me.

Let me know if your phone without service still works for 911.

Thanks

I also recently switched to VoIP and I wanted to share my experience here for the benefit of all. Some basics:

State: Florida
County: Indian River
Telco Provider: Bellsouth
New VoIP Provider: Vonage
Procedure: Signed up at Vonage's website and had my telephone number "ported" to my VoIP service so I could keep the same number.
Result:
I have no dial tone whatsoever at my jack. Since I am also a novice installer (phone system technician), I have the equipment for diagnosing the problem all the way back to the box on the side of my house where the signal comes in. I opened the box and connected my buttset directly at the telco's box. Still nothing.

Most people don't know this, but phones are powered by 48v DC current that is provided by the actual phone line. Without tone or voltage, there is no way the phone can work. Your phone can't generate DTMF tones (the sounds you hear when you press buttons) without this voltage.

In short, I can't dial 9-1-1, regardless of any FCC mandate, and I think it's important that people know this.

Note: Yes, I tried dialing 9-1-1, even with no dial tone. Silence is all I got.

bradleyland said:
I also recently switched to VoIP and I wanted to share my experience here for the benefit of all. Some basics:

State: Florida
County: Indian River
Telco Provider: Bellsouth
New VoIP Provider: Vonage
Procedure: Signed up at Vonage's website and had my telephone number "ported" to my VoIP service so I could keep the same number.
Result:
I have no dial tone whatsoever at my jack. Since I am also a novice installer (phone system technician), I have the equipment for diagnosing the problem all the way back to the box on the side of my house where the signal comes in. I opened the box and connected my buttset directly at the telco's box. Still nothing.

Most people don't know this, but phones are powered by 48v DC current that is provided by the actual phone line. Without tone or voltage, there is no way the phone can work. Your phone can't generate DTMF tones (the sounds you hear when you press buttons) without this voltage.

In short, I can't dial 9-1-1, regardless of any FCC mandate, and I think it's important that people know this.

Note: Yes, I tried dialing 9-1-1, even with no dial tone. Silence is all I got.

That is what I expected. We've already established that there is no FCC mandate, secret or otherwise. I agree, people should be warned about this.

dkf747 said:
That is what I expected. We've already established that there is no FCC mandate, secret or otherwise. I agree, people should be warned about this.
Also of note is that Vonage's E911 service is less than perfect. I tested the system today (dialed 911 shortly after posting my original thread), because I want to know who I'm going to be connected to in the event of an emergency.

When I dial 911 using my VoIP line, I am connected to our local (Vero Beach) police station. Unfortunately, this is a non-emergency number. I should be connected to the Indian River County dispatch service.

What is especially concerning is that Vonage required me to fill out a number of forms in order to connect me to the "correct" location when I dial 911.

Just take this as a friendly warning and suggestion that you should definitely test the service.

bradleyland said:
Just take this as a friendly warning and suggestion that you should definitely test the service.

Thank you. I'll test it today.

Back