911 on unused landline phone lines

dkf747

Active Member
diehardbiker65 said:
Well like I said a while ago, FCC have TWO seperate sites, one for public to read and browse, and other site is private, hidden to the public. Only those who registered and doing business with FCC can access these hidden sites.

I doubt any one of you would find the exact ruling in the public site. Just think about it, I am sure FCC is trying to protect business in some way. If the rule of requiring 911 to be able to work while disconnected were publicize and everybody knows. What do you think would happen? I can bet that local phone company income will DIVE big time, and collapse big time. FCC can't afford that to happen. People would say, hey I got cell phone and if I can call 911 though disconnected landline phone why should I bother paying local phone company while I am using my own cell phone??? Get the drift?
The FCC is a goverment agency. They can't have hidden rules. If they're not published on the web then they are published elsewhere. The FCC is supposed to serve citizens, not phone companies. People are already cutting their landline phone service by the droves. Hiding this rule does not stop or slow that process much, IMO.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
Do you expect gov't to reveal everything? Do you expect that department of defense is required to inform the public of serect activities inside the system? Come on! get real! Trust me, there are plenty of areas that gov't often don't want public to know for the public safety reason.

dkf747 said:
The FCC is a goverment agency. They can't have hidden rules. If they're not published on the web then they are published elsewhere. The FCC is supposed to serve citizens, not phone companies. People are already cutting their landline phone service by the droves. Hiding this rule does not stop or slow that process much, IMO.
 

Dennis

New Member
well, diehardbiker, somehow you were able to get access to this "private" section of the FCC. Give it up. Where did you see this so called private site or private info?

Otherwise, you're just lying your ass off to get attention.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
For the THIRD time!!!! I was informed by local phone company!!!!


Read carefully!

Dennis said:
well, diehardbiker, somehow you were able to get access to this "private" section of the FCC. Give it up. Where did you see this so called private site or private info?

Otherwise, you're just lying your ass off to get attention.
 

dkf747

Active Member
diehardbiker65 said:
Do you expect gov't to reveal everything? Do you expect that department of defense is required to inform the public of serect activities inside the system? Come on! get real! Trust me, there are plenty of areas that gov't often don't want public to know for the public safety reason.
You need to get real. The FCC is not into top secret military issues like the Department of Defense. Do you even know how the government works? Pretty stupid to make a law and keep it secret. The phone companies are not going to go out of business if this rule is published. Most of them have diversified enough to prevent that.

As for the public safety, please explain how keeping it a secret will affect that?
 

Dennis

New Member
diehardbiker65 said:
Well like I said a while ago, FCC have TWO seperate sites, one for public to read and browse, and other site is private, hidden to the public. Only those who registered and doing business with FCC can access these hidden sites.
What part of this quote said by YOU are you forgetting?

You said it's FCC regulations (again, said by you in THIS THREAD) and you don't have a cite to back it up. On top of that, you decided to hide your missing cite by saying, "Oh, it's my phone company who told me" and somehow they just happened to mention that there's a private site for them?

You're a liar and making things up. Thanks for playing. There is no "separate site" but there IS info with the FCC that mentions soft dial tone. There is no secrecy involved with public telephone access. There IS secrecy in national security like what the Department of Defense deals with.

Not worth listening to you, but worth educating others who may believe your tripe.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
Call me liar?

Remember, blaming at somebody, you get three fingers below the finger, and the almighty finger is pointing down at these three fingers that points back to you!

I said that I was informed by phone company of FCC regulations, is that fiction? Feel free to find out yourself, still don't believe me? Feel free dump your own money while I saved alot money and still able to call 911.

\
Dennis said:
What part of this quote said by YOU are you forgetting?

You said it's FCC regulations (again, said by you in THIS THREAD) and you don't have a cite to back it up. On top of that, you decided to hide your missing cite by saying, "Oh, it's my phone company who told me" and somehow they just happened to mention that there's a private site for them?

You're a liar and making things up. Thanks for playing. There is no "separate site" but there IS info with the FCC that mentions soft dial tone. There is no secrecy involved with public telephone access. There IS secrecy in national security like what the Department of Defense deals with.

Not worth listening to you, but worth educating others who may believe your tripe.
 

Dennis

New Member
Still no evidence from you. At least when I didn't believe Richard's (Nesmuth's) claims in another thread, he backed it up with evidence and I admitted I was wrong. You're making an assertation you can't prove.

You're making claims here:

"It DOES makes sense to have private site for carrier providers only so that there won't be any economy upsetting. I am sure phone company would want to kill me for publicize this information."

"I doubt any one of you would find the exact ruling in the public site. Just think about it, I am sure FCC is trying to protect business in some way."

"Do you expect gov't to reveal everything? ... Trust me, there are plenty of areas that gov't often don't want public to know for the public safety reason."
None which you have proven. I believe that the phone company would admit to saying that 911 will continue to work, but nothing like a private website or keeping secrets.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
Your damn welcum to come to my house and SEE FOR YOURSELF! Since last year I have disconnected the phone service, my phone STILL working and able to call 911, PERIOD! I did try to call any number, including 800 number, and I ACTUALLY got the message (Voice and TTY) stating that if I wanted my phone service restore, I would need to dial 585-xxx-xxxx to discuss with represenative about service restoration, this call can be used for 911 purposes only at this time. SK

That is ACTUALLY message I got, and I even had emergency I dialed 911 and 5 min emergency crew showed up!

I called phone company, the reps said that it is required by FCC to leave 911 open regardless. SO STFU!


Dennis said:
Still no evidence from you. At least when I didn't believe Richard's (Nesmuth's) claims in another thread, he backed it up with evidence and I admitted I was wrong. You're making an assertation you can't prove.

You're making claims here:



None which you have proven. I believe that the phone company would admit to saying that 911 will continue to work, but nothing like a private website or keeping secrets.
 

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
I think that this story proves that 911 calls can be made from disconnected phone lines:

http://www.wtov9.com/news/4213394/detail.html

...Deputies say one of the people in the home was calling 9-1-1 as way to intimidate one of the other people there. The phone had no phone service, and therefore, police say the dialer didn't know the call was actually going through as an emergency. Officers say anytime you call 9-1-1 in Belmont County - if there is a dial-tone or not - you're going to get an operator.

"Although she had a disconnected phone, as long as your phone is hooked up into a phone line, you can still pick up the phone and dial 911 and ring into our system," said Sergeant Tom DeVaul....
 

dkf747

Active Member
That's what I meant Reba! Thanks! That's a start.

Diehardbiker, I am not calling you a liar, like the other poster. I believed you when you said the phone company told you that. However, before I can make such an important decision I need more than a wikipedia site to go by.

It appears that it is not available in all states yet.
 

qwerty123

Active Member
Sorry Dennis.

This is what I said earlier.

Regardless of continung service or not, disconnected or active, 911 will still work as long as the phone is hooked up and have a dial tone. even to brand new cell phones wtih services not yet activated.

it is a federal law and all local telcos must comply this stern rule. FCC ruling may be hard to locate, but its common knowledge.

Sorrry to these folks who got arrested in Belmont County. dumbass people. I think the story should be reworded to include EVERYWHERE in USA, not just in Belmont County. I know liability issues, etc, etc.

like i said before, it takes a bit of digging to locate the FCC rules on 911.




[
QUOTE=Dennis]What part of this quote said by YOU are you forgetting?

You said it's FCC regulations (again, said by you in THIS THREAD) and you don't have a cite to back it up. On top of that, you decided to hide your missing cite by saying, "Oh, it's my phone company who told me" and somehow they just happened to mention that there's a private site for them?

You're a liar and making things up. Thanks for playing. There is no "separate site" but there IS info with the FCC that mentions soft dial tone. There is no secrecy involved with public telephone access. There IS secrecy in national security like what the Department of Defense deals with.

Not worth listening to you, but worth educating others who may believe your tripe.[/QUOTE]
 

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
It varies from state to state.

If my phone has been disconnected, can I still call 9-1-1?

Yes. Even if your phone has been disconnected, you are still able to use 9-1-1. ..
http://www.gre911.com/faq.html.html#0

... (even a disconnected phone line is required by law to call 911 in an emergency..keep that phone connected.)...
http://www.shelbyville.tec.tn.us/haven/following_four.htm

Frequently Asked Questions

If my phone has been disconnected, can I still call 9-1-1?
Yes. Even if your phone has been disconnected, you are still able to use 9-1-1. You need to make sure the call taker has your name, address, and all other pertinent information.
http://www.co.hocking.oh.us/h911/faq.html

Did you know?

You can still call 911 with any disconnected cell phone.
http://www.mrsicorp.com/new2004/theft_cellphones.html

It can even be dialed from a
disconnected phone, and the call is always free.
http://www.lapdonline.org/pdf_files/911brochure.PDF
 

Dennis

New Member
I am not disputing "soft dial tone" having access to 9-1-1.

I am disputing diehardbiker's claims that there is a "private" FCC website that hides proof of "soft dial tone" access. ALL MY POSTS HERE have been about that, NOT about soft dial tone.

In any case, diehardbiker continues to misunderstand me.

Reba linked to an FCC document talking about soft dial tone. I haven't found any explicit info on the FCC website that talks solely about soft dial tone. I'm satisfied that the TN and OH state governments have answered it though.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
I am not going to furthur my discussion after this. I discovered new information from realiable sources. I can not say what, where, when, who, why!

Do you expect our gov't to be 100% free of serects? I think your way off the radar.

Another mysteries in gov't that our gov't wont admit... Who killed JFK? What is really going on in watergate? If gov't is telling the truth and open to the public then we should have know the answer long time ago.

Sometimes we have to keep serect to protect this and that.

One important thing about our GOVT system that is positive is that our Gov't isn't so deeply in serect business like most other countries in the world.


Dennis said:
I am not disputing "soft dial tone" having access to 9-1-1.

I am disputing diehardbiker's claims that there is a "private" FCC website that hides proof of "soft dial tone" access. ALL MY POSTS HERE have been about that, NOT about soft dial tone.

In any case, diehardbiker continues to misunderstand me.

Reba linked to an FCC document talking about soft dial tone. I haven't found any explicit info on the FCC website that talks solely about soft dial tone. I'm satisfied that the TN and OH state governments have answered it though.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
Not available in all states yet? That is half right and half not correct. All states DO have 911 services, only that it depends on locality. Some locals don't have the 911 service yet. Good example, Kansas have 911 services available in some areas, but out in the remotely open land, there is no 911 service there yet. FCC is working on it to complete the 911 service system within few years.

dkf747 said:
That's what I meant Reba! Thanks! That's a start.

Diehardbiker, I am not calling you a liar, like the other poster. I believed you when you said the phone company told you that. However, before I can make such an important decision I need more than a wikipedia site to go by.

It appears that it is not available in all states yet.
 

dkf747

Active Member
diehardbiker65 said:
Not available in all states yet? That is half right and half not correct. All states DO have 911 services, only that it depends on locality. Some locals don't have the 911 service yet. Good example, Kansas have 911 services available in some areas, but out in the remotely open land, there is no 911 service there yet. FCC is working on it to complete the 911 service system within few years.
I meant the "soft dial tone" 911 service, not the regular 911 service or cell phone 911.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
Why not call your local phone company and find out? I think there is nothing to hurt if call and ask and you shall find out.

dkf747 said:
I meant the "soft dial tone" 911 service, not the regular 911 service or cell phone 911.
 
Top