911 Dispatcher Saves Own Son from Choking.

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
Source is WXPI.

LACEY, Wash. -- A 911 dispatcher in Lacey, Wash., helped his distraught wife save their choking baby over the phone, Seattle TV station KIRO reported.

Janna Scott called 911 on Feb. 4, when she found her 6-month-old son, Jacob, choking. She wasn't expecting to get her husband, Chris Scott, but she immediately recognized his voice when he answered.

"Apparently she said, 'Chris, he's choking.' I kind of recognized her voice, but at that point I kind of blanked on my home address. I couldn’t remember it," Chris Scott said.

In a recording of the call, he's heard going through normal procedures for such calls and taking his wife's address.

He is also heard calmly heard giving his wife instructions.

Chris Scott told his wife to turn the baby face down and strike him on the back five times.

Janna: "He's breathing again, crying."
Chris: "What came out?"
Janna: "A piece of plastic. I thought I picked everything up."

Chris Scott said the training and his personality kept him calm.

“Nothing really flusters me that much," he said.

He said he also kept calm for his frantic wife.

“I was thinking the whole time does he know it’s me? But I didn’t want to say, ‘Hey Chris, you know it’s me, right?’ It wouldn’t have helped in that moment,” Janna Scott said.

In the back of his mind, Chris Scott said he's always wondered what it would be like if a family member needed help and how he would handle it.

“Now that it’s over and done with, I’m happy with the end result,” he said.

The couple's son, Jacob, is doing fine.

Chris Scott is a Marine reservist who recently returned from a one-year deployment to Iraq.

I'm not sure I'd be able to stay calm if i were in his shoes! :shock: Kudos to him.

Back