911 calls

GrayEagle

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

YES! I don't even know if my special caption phone @ home would work. ??? I know my cell wouldn't and I can't make straight voice calls on the cell (data only) and couldn't understand the 911 operator on a voice only call anyway. :O Good news to know they are addressing this issue! :)

http://www.examiner.com/article/wireless-carriers-will-accelerate-availability-of-text-to-911-services-says-fcc?cid=db_articles

A police man once told me that even phones without cell service have the ability to make an 911 call. Would this apply to phones with no voice plan?

A police man once told me that even phones without cell service have the ability to make an 911 call. Would this apply to phones with no voice plan?

a federal law requires all cellphones/phones to work when dialing 911 - regardless of voice plan, etc.

Wireless 911 Services | FCC.gov
The FCC’s basic 911 rules require wireless service providers to transmit all 911 calls to a PSAP, regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the provider’s service or not.

Phase I Enhanced 911 (E911) rules require wireless service providers to provide the PSAP with the telephone number of the originator of a wireless 911 call and the location of the cell site or base station transmitting the call.

Phase II E911 rules require wireless service providers to provide more precise location information to PSAPs; specifically, the latitude and longitude of the caller. This information must be accurate to within 50 to 300 meters depending upon the type of location technology used.

The FCC recently required wireless carriers to provide more precise location information to PSAPs. As a result, wireless carriers will be required to comply with the FCC’s location accuracy rules at either a county-based or PSAP-based geographic level. The new standards apply to outdoor measurements only, as indoor use poses unique obstacles.

Jiro is right.

I am a trainer, once had to call 911 by texting and they replied by texting me back. So it worked but you remember every town, city and police department has their own tools/equipment to help them serve the area... So not every police dept has the same thing. I live in deaf community where they could help but not as excellent as other cities are. Some said just to text 911 and they will trace you down but if it was just the police.. it takes more time for EMT/EMS and other servicers to get to the site to give proper help. So.. good luck if you have to use that number, no matter what your cellphone plan is, it is a MUST to connect.

a federal law requires all cellphones/phones to work when dialing 911 - regardless of voice plan, etc.

correct. this is why I keep my old phones in each car I have after I upgrade with its car charger . If I forget my phone- I can still call 911 and speak where I am and say deaf . over and over till someone comes.

yep

It doesn't matter where you are or what you need, if you think it -might- be an emergency just dial 911 on your cellphone and repeat your address/location over and over, you'll get -someone- to come! :)

(I'm a 911 dispatcher)

I think every town,city what ever should have this service..It's a MUst..

Service may be there but the reply time is so effing slow as to be wowrthless. They never send a terp along or an officer that signs. I plan on just taking care of business on my own these days

Back