90% Deaf are UNEMPLOYED

i wonder where he got his figures?

Um . . . before all you math professors agree that 70% of deafies are UNemployed. The consensus here of those who actually looked around around and didn't pick a number out of the air was around 70% or more employed. I worked it out on a calculator, then my fingers, before I called a couple of fifth graders. Though still too many, that's 30% unemployed.

As for your question, Byrdie, the answer is "thin air," the place from where 94.36% of all on-line statisics come.

Last edited:
Im deaf and employed as well - I know alot of you here on AD hold down full time jobs. Its a made up statistic. Whoever posted this needs to check their source of information because this possibly can't be accurate.

Now I will say that there are deafies out there who are underemployed simply because they dont want to work - which tends to skew the actual results, but 90%? Come on now, I may be deaf but Im not dumb!

Seems like we - AD members got jobs. . . HOW? because,we can afford internet, and read/post on AllDeaf.com...those stuff come from our paychcks. Maybe you should ask to your college classmates, or somewhere. :lol:

Im deaf and employed as well - I know alot of you here on AD hold down full time jobs. Its a made up statistic. Whoever posted this needs to check their source of information because this possibly can't be accurate.

Now I will say that there are deafies out there who are underemployed simply because they dont want to work - which tends to skew the actual results, but 90%? Come on now, I may be deaf but Im not dumb!

Well, to be honest with u..I know so many unemployed deaf people here in the Baltimore and DC area.

The ones in the DC area are usually students

The ones in Baltimore are the ones collecting SSDI..

Not to make a generalization but I am recently meeting the Baltimore Deaf community and so far a large number of them are jobless. :dunno:

I wonder if SSDI or SSI gets cut to all Deaf or HOH people, will that decrease the unemployment rate?

I know so many deaf people on SSDI who are afraid to get a job or work at home for fear that their SSDI will get cut off and then end up losing their jobs later. It is like a vicous cycle trapping them!
That's a good question. :)

He probably got it from a wrong group or picked a bad place to collect his information.

I was think maybe the researcher is pretty lazy by sent 10 to deaf and one of them is employed.

Maybe I should try do my own research :)
Honestly, for myself I do remember at my church, most of them are unemployed. And they don't even have internet!

Perhaps, but who knows? As for the internet thing, I know some deaf people have it but some don't. If they were able to afford it, then by all means, they can have it. You can start a research and see what you come up with. I'd be interested to see what you have in your hand when you collect these information.

He probably got it from a wrong group or picked a bad place to collect his information.

That's what I was thinking too but the question is, Did he just "pass" it on to make it a statement in the media before he was doing his homework or was it just an estimate based on a wild guess? He probably figured it'd be in a high percentage but to pin-point to the exact figure might have not been presented to him, Who knows?

By the way, I am deaf and employed.

i dont agreed with articles!!

im been umemployment and i search jobs but i try for volunteer its easy and no payday i say oh really for life!!

Back