90% Deaf are UNEMPLOYED

We might be able to make a case for UNderemployed, ya think?

Yep, if the percentage cited is acurrate at all, it would be to the underemployed, not the unemployed. And I'd say that holds true for the statistic on the blind, as well.

think about.. it would count as...

- part-time
- under table

Well those are employed, not unemployment which a person who don't work at all, example is me except that I am actually landlord and tendly not really like to admit that I was a landlord..

I don't buy that unless I got some USD dollars. I am deaf and employed too ;)

LOL

90%!?

Oh PFFFT!!!

I have my job, I worked for almost three years since my graduation. :roll:

I think not so that. In Oklahoma state deaf unemployment 70 percent. I noticed oral and HOH work employment 50 or 70 percent. I am deaf and employee part-time.

Wow, 90% is almost like every deaf person doesn't work only 10% works. I don't buy that either. I'm deaf and employed. Alot of my friends are employed too. Of course, there will be some that canNOT work for reasons. I just don't buy it.. 90%... *thinking* no way.
Remember, this is the whole United States... not just your area.

If you have 100 deaf friends and 95 of them are working, that's 95 out of the whole United States.

In your area, those deaf people probably had a better chance of finding jobs. In other states, they might have had a harder time finding jobs. :(

Seems to be it might be one of those made-up statistics.

Of the six deaf people I know personally, four work 40-hour weeks for paychecks, one is a homemaker married to a working hearie, and one is retired from Well Fargo Bank.

Technically, that small sampling shows 66.6% employed, closer to Authentic's number, but that figure is skewed on the downside, because the deaf wife is working at home without welfare, and the other deafie is retired, drawing well-deserved pensions, loafing, and spoiling her grandkids as God intended.

66.6%?!?! Someone give you the demon number! WTFLOL!
My instinct tell me it should be 70%, sound safe, bette than being sorry. ;)

There's 90% of deaf people being un-employed? Hmm, I wonder where did they get the information mainly on deaf people being unemployed by a staggering percentage? I'd be interested to see where they were able to find the statistics based on that result.

Sure, There are some deaf people who are un-employed, working under the table and there are some who actually holds a job. I don't think believe the high percentage is at 90%. It seems a bit high even for the deaf people. If it was around maybe 60 or so, then yeah it'd make sense.

I was think maybe the researcher is pretty lazy by sent 10 to deaf and one of them is employed.

Maybe I should try do my own research :)
Honestly, for myself I do remember at my church, most of them are unemployed. And they don't even have internet!

Well those are employed, not unemployment which a person who don't work at all, example is me except that I am actually landlord and tendly not really like to admit that I was a landlord..

hmm... maybe someone look up on how many deaf are on SSI and decide to label them as unemployed and make figure with amount of deaf in nationwide. Who know?

Remember, this is the whole United States... not just your area.

If you have 100 deaf friends and 95 of them are working, that's 95 out of the whole United States.

In your area, those deaf people probably had a better chance of finding jobs. In other states, they might have had a harder time finding jobs. :(

I was in El Paso, TX once. I have person who know ASL excellent and work in DARS. He show knowledge that too many deaf in that city have no jobs.

I agree, I thought too, maybe 70%... but i heard that American People people don't have a passport, about 90%. I can't imagine....

look at website

Annie Rhiannon: 90% of Americans don't even have passports

and another website

America: PostGlobal on washingtonpost.com

Sorry :topic:

True, many Americans don't have passports for different reasons... Aviod to pay child support is the one of different reasons.

Yes, I can't image it's 90% Deaf people are unemployed around USA. :confused: I remember from several threads that many deaf people living on SSI... :dunno:

As what you said around 70% but for me is too many...

I was in El Paso, TX once. I have person who know ASL excellent and work in DARS. He show knowledge that too many deaf in that city have no jobs.
I'm not surprised.

Here's a better question that they should have been asked...

"Are you unemployed by choice?"

hmm... maybe someone look up on how many deaf are on SSI and decide to label them as unemployed and make figure with amount of deaf in nationwide. Who know?

Probably, but not all of unemployment deafies have SSI nor SSDI, some of them abused it.

I know many deaf people are unemployed. Some deaf are employed. I was employed in New York. I move to New Jersey, I became unemployed. My DVR counsler from New Jersey will find a new jobs for me. I hope I will see it.

Well you know............it kinda doesn't surprise me that Deafies in the US are underemployed. We don't have a universal health care system. Insurers are VERY picky about who they will insure.....even a healthy hearie on one or two scripts can't get insurance. Health insurance seems to be a 'gotta have" in today's economy...........and often times the only insurance that dhh folks qualify for is Mediciad. Since you can't make too much money (otherwise you're disqualified) a lot of deafies are prolly playing it safe(and working under the table etc to get Medicaid..

I wonder if SSDI or SSI gets cut to all Deaf or HOH people, will that decrease the unemployment rate?

I know so many deaf people on SSDI who are afraid to get a job or work at home for fear that their SSDI will get cut off and then end up losing their jobs later. It is like a vicous cycle trapping them!

Back