9 year old Aided main stream child so many questions

He's still not fully hearing........he has disadvantages that hearing people don't........I can understand some speech without my aids....my point is why make it more difficult for him? Visual processing is STILL a strengh even thou he can hear quite well......fact is oral only pushes aid usage during all waking hours....that pretty much says he's gonna be dependent on them.....
Here's my philosophy with dhh and other types of disabilties.....why not offer them a FULL toolbox,so THEY can decide themselves what tools are useful or not.......and I'm not obessed with hearing pee in the toilet....but it seems like HA/CI manufactors are OBESSED with making sure dhh kids can hear ...b/c after all it's such a tragedy that they're "hearing impaired"

Did you really just say that HA/CI manufacturers seem to obsessed with making sure dhh kids can hear? Really? Let that roll around in your head for a minute.

It's not just kids, it's people of all ages, thank god. Frankly I hope manufacturers are always trying to improve their products. You do realize that is like.....their purpose. I hope my dishwasher company makes sure the machines wash my dishes, my dryer dries my clothes, my blender make incredibly smooth smoothies. I think you see where I'm going here.

Did you really just say that HA/CI manufacturers seem to obsessed with making sure dhh kids can hear? Really? Let that roll around in your head for a minute.

It's not just kids, it's people of all ages, thank god. Frankly I hope manufacturers are always trying to improve their products. You do realize that is like.....their purpose. I hope my dishwasher company makes sure the machines wash my dishes, my dryer dries my clothes, my blender make incredibly smooth smoothies. I think you see where I'm going here.

ambrosia, bear in mind you're
late dhh.....you can hear and like hearing...You knew what hearing was....you're hearing impaired....you miss sounds......hearing is second nature to you...you don't have to expend a ton of energy on using a sense,that you weren't born with or that you lost as a very young baby....THAT'S the difference! Dhh kids have to expend a ton of energy to hear.....yes, its not as hard as the old days when kids had to "hear" with really bad technology....but its still not second nature.....it still takes a lot of energy................Most dhh children have never heard normally....they don't understand what its like to hear as a hearing person....so they don't feel deprived missing out on every little sound....Get this...there are HOH and good HA/CI users who like the abilty to hear......but they don't feel deprived out of not hearing every little sound..........Matter of fact there are people who only wear their aids when they absolutly need to...I have a friend whose daughter is HOH (responds very well to aiding) but most of the time she choses NOT to wear them.......Also know of hundreds of dhh as kids adults who when they don't have to interact with the hearing world,keep their aids off in a box!!!!!

Yes he is not fully hearing but the disadvantages that he will discover will be so minor that really he can get along as a hearing person.

My mom has had a loss of between 30db and 35db all her life, never been aided, never had any help at school, never needed anything extra because with a mild loss, you can function as a hearing person.

Tbh, wearing hearing aids is properly doing more damage then good because of the small bandwidth they have compared to people's ears.

That's based on a hypotheises............that's nice that your mom has done so well...........but the thing is, again how the heck does anyone know that introducing her to deaf accoomondations,and Sign and all that stuff couldn't have helped her? Sure mild loss kids can fake it as a hearing person,but so can a profound loss kid....doesn't mean that disabilty stuff couldn't significently benifit their lives.............as I said it takes a lot of energy to compensate......and the fact is,kids with mild loss are not hearing....

People with mild loss don't always find it just as easy as those with normal hearing. Some do, some don't. I admit many don't wear HAs because it is too loud but mild loss can make people exhausted (maybe just me haha). At times we miss speech just as much as other people. I have a cookie bite so maybe I tend to miss conversations a bit more because people often talk mid-frequency and mine is a bit more rare. I may not be the best advocate for people with mild loss but I think the type of mild loss (low, high, reversed, cookie, or across the board loss) needs to be recognized too. Some people can, others like me just learn to adjust with mild or even moderate loss.

That's based on a hypotheises............that's nice that your mom has done so well...........but the thing is, again how the heck does anyone know that introducing her to deaf accoomondations,and Sign and all that stuff couldn't have helped her? Sure mild loss kids can fake it as a hearing person,but so can a profound loss kid....doesn't mean that disabilty stuff couldn't significently benifit their lives.............as I said it takes a lot of energy to compensate......and the fact is,kids with mild loss are not hearing....

That's not the point. HA/CI manufacturers are in the business of making devices, and improving them to give the dhh the best possible hearing they can. That's their purpose, that's what they do, that's why your statement was so silly. It's like elementary dear Watson.

He's still not fully hearing........he has disadvantages that hearing people don't........I can understand some speech without my aids....my point is why make it more difficult for him? Visual processing is STILL a strengh even thou he can hear quite well......fact is oral only pushes aid usage during all waking hours....that pretty much says he's gonna be dependent on them.....
Here's my philosophy with dhh and other types of disabilties.....why not offer them a FULL toolbox,so THEY can decide themselves what tools are useful or not.......and I'm not obessed with hearing pee in the toilet....but it seems like HA/CI manufactors are OBESSED with making sure dhh kids can hear ...b/c after all it's such a tragedy that they're "hearing impaired"

I must respectfully disagree. I bet if that phrase was searched on this forum, it would get at least 20 hits of posts by you.

That phrase doesn't support or enhance your arguments, might be time to retire it.

People with mild loss don't always find it just as easy as those with normal hearing. Some do, some don't. I admit many don't wear HAs because it is too loud but mild loss can make people exhausted (maybe just me haha). At times we miss speech just as much as other people. I have a cookie bite so maybe I tend to miss conversations a bit more because people often talk mid-frequency and mine is a bit more rare. I may not be the best advocate for people with mild loss but I think the type of mild loss (low, high, reversed, cookie, or across the board loss) needs to be recognized too. Some people can, others like me just learn to adjust with mild or even moderate loss.

Exactly my point........Some kids with mild loss can be almost hearing.....
others can and do struggle like more HOH kids.....

Exactly my point........Some kids with mild loss can be almost hearing.....
others can and do struggle like more HOH kids.....
I'm sorry, I feel like I have asked this several times, but have not received an answer, but I will ask again. How are you interacting with all these deaf and hard of hearing children? You make claims about research and outcomes, but are not sharing where you get this information. Are you a teacher? What kind of setting are you in? You claim that you have experience with both bi-bi and oral deaf schools. You make claims about Clarke, but haven't said if you went there or if you worked there. I am very confused.

I'm sorry, I feel like I have asked this several times, but have not received an answer, but I will ask again. How are you interacting with all these deaf and hard of hearing children? You make claims about research and outcomes, but are not sharing where you get this information. Are you a teacher? What kind of setting are you in? You claim that you have experience with both bi-bi and oral deaf schools. You make claims about Clarke, but haven't said if you went there or if you worked there. I am very confused.

You actually seem like you are a shill for some unwelcome oralists.

Observing local classes, hearing parents who talk to me about what their kids are going through,parents of mainstreamed/inclusive kids with my syndrome, talking with dhh mainstreamed and oral teens......Also an ex member of this forum is a psychologist specializing with dhh kids.....She has said that her clients are going through the exact same stuff we did.....Also talking with my friends who are (hearing)teachers (not TODs)of mainstreamed and oral dhh kids....most of them are still relatively young....they repeat the same stories that someone who was a teacher when I was in the system had....
Not to mention there are a plethora of TODs on here who have seen some REALLY bad things....there's also a plethora of research out there that indicates things aren't as hopeful as they appear ......

Observing local classes, hearing parents who talk to me about what their kids are going through,parents of mainstreamed/inclusive kids with my syndrome, talking with dhh mainstreamed and oral teens......Also an ex member of this forum is a psychologist specializing with dhh kids.....She has said that her clients are going through the exact same stuff we did.....Also talking with my friends who are (hearing)teachers (not TODs)of mainstreamed and oral dhh kids....most of them are still relatively young....they repeat the same stories that someone who was a teacher when I was in the system had....
Not to mention there are a plethora of TODs on here who have seen some REALLY bad things....there's also a plethora of research out there that indicates things aren't as hopeful as they appear ......

So you have not ever been in a school for the deaf, oral or ASL? As a teacher or a student?

You actually seem like you are a shill for some unwelcome oralists.

Why? Because I don't agree with what you think? I am telling the truth. I am a full time student who is in a teacher of the deaf program. Next fall I begin my student teaching.

Why? Because I don't agree with what you think? I am telling the truth. I am a full time student who is in a teacher of the deaf program. Next fall I begin my student teaching.

“True knowledge exists in kowing that you know nothing.”
― Socrates

That you, Melissa?

Melissa means nothing to me and all that are bring that name up joined well before me. How about updating those of us that came later?

Back