88-year-old walmart greeter fired after wild turkey enters store

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
WAUKESHA, Wis. — The 88-year-old Walmart greeter who was working the doors the day a wild turkey wound up inside the store says he was shocked to learn a few days later that he'd been fired because of the incident.

Bob Tallinger said he was told that he should have alerted a manager when he first encountered the bird.

"It starts and it goes back around and then it walks out," Tallinger, of Waukesha, said of the March 27 incident. A Humane Animal Welfare Society official was called in and ultimately was able to capture the bird by luring it into a net.

In his eight years as a greeter at the store, Tallinger said he'd never seen anything like it.

His wife, Janet Tallinger, said her husband's termination is unfair.

"He was hired to be a greeter and that's what he did. He never saw a book of rules that said if a wild turkey comes in here you better run and get management," she said. "Granted he's gotten older and granted he's lost a little memory but nevertheless that hasn't prevented him from being an excellent greeter."

Janet Tallinger said her husband is the most popular person at the Waukesha Walmart and loved working as a greeter.

He said the job was the highlight of his days.

"The people, there's a lot of people I know," said Bob Tallinger.

Reached for comment, Walmart's corporate headquarters issued a statement:

"We appreciate the public's concern and take this situation seriously. While we will not comment on HR matters, we can confirm Mr. Tallinger is no longer with the company."

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/88-year-old-Walmart-greeter-fired-after-wild-11072225.php

I haven't shopped Walmart in years.. Don't think I will.

So I guess Walmart will now require all greeters to learn turkey calling or they will be fired! I have never seen a greeter at a Walmart with a store issued phone. Perhaps the manager should also be terminated for failure to have all his employees trained for all possible situations should they arise.

There's an update to the story.... I just looked for any recent update to the story and here is his granddaughter's FB post... and I'm happy to say that he landed another job. :)

My Grandfather Bob would like you express his gratitude to the community for their supoort. To his old coworkers- he wants to let you know how much your support means to him and that he will miss you everyday. Bob has been recruited and hired at St. Vincent de Paul as a greeter! He is very grateful to work for an organization that is so giving to our community. Please visit his smiling face!

https://www.facebook.com/jessica.tallinger/posts/10102810138034848

I tried to go online to tell Walmart they should also fire the manager for failure to train his employees for all situations that arise,but was unable to find a link that actually worked. So, I called the 800 # and filed my concern and complaint after waiting online for about 20 minutes. Since I had to wait to talk to somebody, I also used the opportunity to file my complaints about our local store as well. I'm glad to hear the guy got a new job!

I tried to go online to tell Walmart they should also fire the manager for failure to train his employees for all situations that arise,but was unable to find a link that actually worked. So, I called the 800 # and filed my concern and complaint after waiting online for about 20 minutes. Since I had to wait to talk to somebody, I also used the opportunity to file my complaints about our local store as well. I'm glad to hear the guy got a new job!
Good.
I wasn't aware that Walmart employs skunks, anyways.

Back