75 years of the Three Stooges

Stevey Boy

Reaction score
Imagine a comedy troupe that never resorted to off-color jokes, didn't put down anyone and had no political point of view. It would never last. Well, at least not longer than three-quarters of a century. That's how long the Three Stooges have been delighting audiences, a phenomenon undimmed by their deaths. Their amazing longevity and impact is being feted by NBC with The Three Stooges' 75th Anniversary Special.

Woody Harrelson, a self-acknowledged huge fan, fronts the fast-paced hour, which includes reminiscences by Michael Chiklis, who began to turn around his career when he played Curly Howard in a Three Stooges TV movie a couple of years ago; Saturday Night Live's Tracy Morgan; Tom Arnold; Cheryl Hines (Larry David's wife on Curb Your Enthusiasm); Bridget Fonda and the Farrelly Brothers, who wrote, produced and directed There's Something About Mary.

However, the special is dominated, as it should be, by clips of the Stooges; there actually were six. The original trio consisted of Moe and Shemp Howard, and Larry Fine. When Shemp opted out in 1932, another brother, Jerome, became Curly, arguably the most beloved of the Stooges. A couple of heart-rending moments involving Curly are the only breaks in an hour of raucous fun. Footage is resurrected of Curly's last real contribution in the 1946 Half-Wits Holiday as well as an uncredited appearance in Hold That Line, in which, debilitated by a stroke, he was reduced to sitting, almost unrecognizable, in a chair.

Shemp then rejoined the act, until 1955. When he suffered a heart attack, comedian Joe Besser was recruited for the act's last 16 films. Curly-Joe DeRita became the final Stooge, making live appearances with Moe and Larry after TV rediscovered the Stooges.

Each milestone -- from their early days as second-banana opening acts on the vaudeville circuit in the late '20s, to their Hollywood breakthrough in the '30s, when they made more than 190 films and shorts, through their rediscovery and renaissance on TV in the '50s -- is covered via a well-conceived timeline navigated by Harrelson.

As free-form and undisciplined as the Stooges might have seemed, each of their features followed a tried and true blueprint, Harrelson notes. A Stooges flick invariably included wacky word play, tools and gadgets and juiced-up sound effects. The boys were put in crazy occupations and there was always a lovely leading lady or three as comedic foils.

By the time the final credits roll on the remembrance, the audience will have the feeling it has gotten a sampling of almost every bit the Stooges ever did. While this obviously would be impossible, the high spots are covered: the best pie fight, best slap fest and overall favorite Stooges bit, as determined by a poll of fans. The contemporary celebrities weigh in with personal choices.

Fonda, who was born almost a decade after the Stooges made their last film, opines, "Anyone who doesn't like the Three Stooges never really watched."

It's never too late to start and there's no better place than The Three Stooges' 75th Anniversary Special.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/enterta...62539.story?coll=sfla-entertainment-headlines

stooges.gif

Originally posted by Strawberry
What was it about? Interpret please- I have a reading-disability.
Eh? Never heard of the Three Stooges?

I remember watching one show where they attempted to fly to Mars. They got in the rocket and took off. The rocket somehow didn't go all the way, instead... it just came back down. They got out and at that same time, there was a costume carnival going on. They assumed those costumes were aliens. They later left and actually went to Mars when they thought they were going back to Earth! Hehehe!

I miss the Three Stooges.. I have pets named Three Stooges!

I miss their shows.. I love to watch them and laugh my ass off.

I use to watch them when I was a kid. I saw all of them and I got bored but still funny.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
Eh? Never heard of the Three Stooges?

Yeah I have, I just didnt want to READ up there, just wanted someone to summarize it lol.

Originally posted by Strawberry
What was it about? Interpret please- I have a reading-disability.

Simple...

Three idiot men are beat each other for weird reason. It about nothing. Most of body language, easy visual communication and funny. Therefore, they are celebration 75 yrs for remember that show. :D

If they recreated the Three Stooges today, their shows would be censored because of its similarity to Jackass!

Originally posted by BostonIceFire
I miss the Three Stooges.. I have pets named Three Stooges!

I miss their shows.. I love to watch them and laugh my ass off.

same with me - and it's funny to know that all 4 of the stooges showed up for only ONE part of ONE episode .... Curly in Hold That Lion - where Larry, Moe, and Shemp were all in it ..... i thought that was weird - cuz i never seen all 4 of them together at the same time

dang 75 years? it had been long time since they invented comedy or maybe I'm wrong? :dunno:

Originally posted by Stevey Boy
Pick two fingers. :laugh2:
No matter how many times I see that, I always forget why he even asked that question! :rofl:

Back