70's Star Farrah Fawcett, 62, Dies Of Cancer

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
Television star and sexy 1970's icon Farrah Fawcett succumbed to cancer Thursday in a Los Angeles hospital.

Fawcett was diagnosed in 2006 with anal cancer that has spread to her liver. The "Charlie's Angels" star and longtime companion actor Ryan O'Neal have a 24-year-old son, Redmond.

O'Neal said recently that the 62-year-old actress was "fighting for her life," but despite her declining health, they were "absolutely" planning to get married.

:cry: she is my favorite actress since I was in high school

Farrah passed away :(

Actress Farrah Fawcett Dies at 62

By Alexander F. Remington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 25, 2009; 12:53 PM

Farrah Fawcett, 62, golden-haired sex symbol of the late 1970s most remembered for her appearance on bedroom posters and the detective series "Charlie's Angels" and who later found a niche portraying troubled women in made-for-television dramas, died today from cancer.

Ms. Fawcett was a Texas-born college dropout who parlayed success as a model for toiletries such as Ultra Brite toothpaste and Wella Balsam shampoo into a viable acting career.

Still a relative unknown, she achieved two iconic roles at the same time in 1976. On Wednesday nights, she was Jill Munroe, the blond Angel on the ABC detective drama produced by Aaron Spelling. The rest of the week, she was the star attraction on a poster that sold a record 12 million copies. Haloed by the curls of her impossibly buoyant curly hair, wearing a red swimsuit that left little to the imagination, she entered the dreams of adolescent boys everywhere and brought women into hair salons to copy her style.
ad_icon

Thanks to her radiant sexuality, Ms. Fawcett became the breakout star of "Charlie's Angels," appearing in such suggestive episodes as "Angels in Chains," where she and her beautiful co-detectives -- played by Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith -- went undercover on a chain gang. The show's tone led to its nickname: "Jiggle TV."

As Ms. Fawcett said, "When the show was number three, I figured it was our acting. When it got to be number one, I decided it could only be because none of us wears a bra."

In 1973, she married Lee Majors, soon to star in "The Six Million Dollar Man," and acquired the name she would use in the "Charlie's Angels" title sequence, Farrah Fawcett-Majors.

She left "Charlie's Angels" after one season to pursue a movie career and immediately was served with a lawsuit from Spelling and producer Leonard Goldberg for breach of contract, which was resolved only when she agreed to make a series of guest appearances on the show over its next several seasons.

Her marriage to Majors also foundered, and she began a long relationship with actor Ryan O'Neal, with whom she had a son, Redmond. Her son survives. After the lawsuit, Spelling replaced Ms. Fawcett with Cheryl Ladd -- playing Jill Munroe's younger sister -- and "Charlie's Angels" continued through 1981.

Meanwhile, Ms. Fawcett appeared in an unsuccessful star vehicle, "Somebody Killed Her Husband," a 1978 film with Jeff Bridges known in the industry as Somebody Killed Her Career. She also was Burt Reynolds's love interest in the comedy "The Cannonball Run" (1981).

But it was in made-for-television movies that she began reinventing herself, often to critical acclaim.

Washington Post television critic Tom Shales wrote of Ms. Fawcett's "strenuous and superb performance" playing a battered wife out for revenge in "The Burning Bed" (1984). She found a niche as vulnerable women in troubled or abusive relationships, such as "Extremities" (1986) and "Small Sacrifices" (1989).

She also portrayed photographer Margaret Bourke-White, Nazi hunter Beate Klarsfeld and heiress Barbara Hutton in made-for-television productions.

Mary Farrah Leni Fawcett was born Feb. 2, 1947, in Corpus Christi, where her father started a pipeline construction company. She was an art major at the University of Texas at Austin and began modeling for a local clothing store. She was voted one of the 10 most beautiful women on campus, and Hollywood publicist David Mirisch urged her to quit school for a career in show business.

At first reluctant to leave college, she met with almost immediate success as a model and received guest roles on television shows such as "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Partridge Family" and films including "Myra Breckenridge" (1970) and "Logan's Run" (1976). She also appeared with her then-husband, Majors, on "The Six Million Dollar Man" and on other shows produced by Goldberg and Spelling before "Charlie's Angels" made her a national name.

Starting in the 1990s, she attempted to recapture her status as a sex symbol. She underwent plastic surgery and appeared nude in Playboy photo shoots as well as a 1997 Playboy video called "All of Me."

That same year, she turned in a memorable supporting performance as the wife of Robert Duvall's philandering minister in "The Apostle." Critic Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times praised her by noting how she disappeared convincingly into the role, adding she was "surprising" and "gaunt, almost unrecognizable."

Mostly she was followed by the tabloids for her troubled personal life, including several accounts of domestic abuse by boyfriends. She also appeared incoherent as a guest on "The Late Show With David Letterman" in 1997.

In 2005, she was once again the star of her own show, "Chasing Farrah," a reality-style program on the channel TVLand that followed her life with cameras. It was quickly overshadowed by her diagnosis with cancer the following September. At the end of 2007, she announced plans to reunite with the videographer of "Chasing Farrah" to televise her cancer battle in another documentary, "A Wing and a Prayer."

Actress Farrah Fawcett Dies at 62 - washingtonpost.com

If repost mods please merge thank you

RIP Farrah, taken too soon.

She was same age as my mum... gratefully appericates Farrah's life and battle with cancer...

You know - I almost shat my pants when I saw the title "Farrah passed away" because I thought it was Anna Faris. Both are a looker! :naughty:

My father had the hots for her and had a poster of her and even a mug with her picture on it. Now, he finally gets to meet her! LOL

RIP, Farrah Fawcett!

RIP

Farrah%20Fawcett.jpg

3YN3ECG62nhtj23wm6vQBSpjo1_500.jpg

FarrahFawcett.jpg

farrah-fawcett6.jpg

farrah_fawcett.jpg

farrah-fawcett-sick.jpg

I just find out from yahoo news i was shocked that She has passed away sudden wow!! but she is only young as 62 age. She is my favortie show i used watch all time till her's passed away and You will missed

R I P Farrah Fawcett

That's sad. :( Farrah Fawcett passed away to cancer. I used to watch her on tv. She was a great actor on tv. Rest in peace, Farrah Fawcett!

RIP Farrah Fawcett. She will forever be a legend.

Farrah Fawcett Dies At 62
Farrah Fawcett Dies At 62 - omg! news on Yahoo!

Farrah Fawcett has died after a long battle with cancer, Access Hollywood has confirmed.

Farrah died at 9:28 AM on Thursday at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, Calif.

She was 62.

"After a long and brave battle with cancer, our beloved Farrah has passed away," Farrah's longtime companion, Ryan O'Neal, said in a statement to Access. "Although this is an extremely difficult time for her family and friends, we take comfort in the beautiful times that we shared with Farrah over the years and the knowledge that her life brought joy to so many people around the world."

The actress, best known for her role in the '70s TV show "Charlie's Angels" and her iconic hair, was in the hospital earlier this month and a source close to Farrah told Access Hollywood at the time that she was not doing well.

While her condition was deteriorating, those closest to Farrah wanted to take her home for her final days.

Her death comes just days after O'Neal revealed he had asked Farrah to be his wife.

"If she's feeling a little better, I've asked her to marry me again and she's agreed," Ryan said in a new interview with Barbara Walters for ABC's "20/20," set to air June 26.

"We will as soon as she can say, 'Yes.' Maybe she can nod her head. I promise you, we will."

However, a source has confirmed to Access that Ryan and Farrah did not get married prior to her death.

In addition, Access has learned Ryan and Farrah's son, Redmond O'Neal, did not get to see his mother a second time on a court-allowed visit from jail. The last time Redmond saw Farrah was during his first and only court-allowed visit on April 25.

A spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department told Access no requests had been made to transport Redmond to see his mother before she died.

Following her diagnosis with anal cancer in 2006, Farrah waged a very public battle against the disease, documenting her fight in "Farrah's Story," which aired in May on NBC and will re-air on June 26 at 8 PM.

After several rounds of chemotherapy treatments, Farrah announced that she was cancer-free, but in May 2007, the cancer had returned and she underwent further treatment in Germany.

The star was born on February 2, 1947, in Corpus Christi, Texas. Even at a young age, Farrah caught people's attention - she was given the title "Most Beautiful" in high school.

She became an icon for her role as Jill Munroe in "Charlie's Angels" in the mid-'70s, inspiring fans to imitate her feathered blonde hair. She rose to sex symbol status thanks in part to a now-legendary swimsuit poster that sold over 12 million copies.

Farrah left the popular show after a single season, going on to star in a number of films, television shows and made-for-TV movies such as 1984's "The Burning Bed," which earned her an Emmy nomination.

The actress made further headlines in 1995, when she posed for Playboy at age 48.

Farrah is survived by her father James, longtime partner Ryan O'Neal, their son, Redmond O'Neal, who has dealt with numerous legal issues over the last few years, including most recently, an arrest for allegedly trying to bring heroin into an LA-area jail facility on April 5.

updates:

Farrah Fawcett Dies of Cancer at 62
Farrah Fawcett Dies of Cancer at 62 - Farrah Fawcett, Ryan O'Neal : People.com

Farrah Fawcett, who skyrocketed to fame as one of a trio of impossibly glamorous private eyes on TV's Charlie's Angels, has died after a long battle with cancer. She was 62.

Fawcett died at 9:28 a.m. PST on Thursday at St. John's Heath Center in Santa Monica, Calif. She was with longtime partner Ryan O'Neal, friend Alana Stewart, friend and hairdresser Mela Murphy and her doctor Lawrence Piro. She had recently returned to St. John's for treatment of complications from anal cancer, first diagnosed three years ago.

"She's gone. She now belongs to the ages," O'Neal tells PEOPLE, also confirming that she received the last rites of the Catholic Church. "She's now with her mother and sister and her God. I loved her with all my heart. I will miss her so very, very much. She was in and out of consciousness. I talked to her all through the night. I told her how very much I loved her. She's in a better place now."

Added O'Neal: "She was with her team when she passed ... Her eyes were open, but she didn't say anything. But you could see in her eyes that she recognized us."

Though O'Neal recently said that he and Fawcett had planned to wed, they did not tie the knot. "There just wasn't time, and Farrah wasn't in any condition to do it," says O'Neal.

Friends and family plan to honor Fawcett with a funeral service at a Catholic cathedral in Los Angeles in the next few days.

Like so much about Fawcett's life – including her bumpy relationship with O'Neal – her heroic struggle to beat the disease was closely followed by her legion of fans.

"I've watched her this past year fight with such courage and so valiantly, but with such humor," Fawcett's Charlie's Angels costar Kate Jackson told PEOPLE in November 2007.

O'Neal, in particular, remained a steadfast supporter of Fawcett, who, despite her frailty, spent the last months of her life filming a TV documentary chronicling her illness, including several trips to Germany to undergo experimental treatment. Fawcett is survived by her son with O'Neal, Redmond, 24, who is currently serving a jail term in California after repeated drug offenses.

Redmond was not there at Fawcett's side when she died, but spoke to his mother on the phone and told her "how much he loved her and asked her to please forgive him that he was so very, very sorry," O'Neal tells PEOPLE.

Texas Charmer
Blonde, blue-eyed and petite – and with a trademark mane as flowing and famous as the M.G.M. lion's – the Corpus Christi, Texas, native was born Feb. 2, 1947, the younger daughter of an oil-field contractor and his homemaker wife.

A magnet for male students at the University of Texas at Austin, Fawcett eventually set off for Hollywood. Quickly noticed by casting agents, she began landing small parts in forgettable movies, such as 1970's Myra Breckinridge, based on a gender-bending novel by Gore Vidal. Her role: an ingenuous blonde.

In 1973, Fawcett married actor Lee Majors, forever known as Col. Steve Austin on TV's The Six Million Dollar Man. Three years later, she appeared in the cult sci-fi film Logan's Run and began her stint with costars Jackson and Jaclyn Smith on Charlie's Angels. Well-coiffed and scantily clad, the threesome created an instant sensation, with a weekly following of 23 million fans.

Fawcett moved on after just one season. By then, she was already a phenomenon, having donned a one-piece red bathing suit and a perfect smile for her legendary pin-up poster, which sold a still-record 12 million copies.

"I became famous almost before I had a craft," Fawcett told The New York Times in 1986, four years after her divorce from Majors. (By then, she was already involved with Ryan O'Neal.) "I didn't study drama at school. I was an art major. Suddenly, when I was doing Charlie's Angels, I was getting all this fan mail, and I didn't really know why. I don't think anybody else did, either."

Bumpy Film Career
Though she left TV for what was assumed to be greener pastures – feature films – Fawcett's initial three big-screen vehicles all crash-landed. Her first, 1978's Somebody Killed Her Husband, was lampooned in MAD magazine under the title, Somebody Killed Her Career.

It took some serious dramatic TV roles, including that of a battered wife in 1984's The Burning Bed (which earned her an Emmy nomination), as well as starring in small-screen biopics about pioneering photojournalist Margaret Bourke-White and ill-fated Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton, for Fawcett to bounce back.

"What would you do if someone said to you, 'You're so popular right now that you can be on the cover of every magazine, but if you do that, you might get overexposed and a backlash will develop'?" Fawcett told The Times after she had emerged from one of the valleys of her career.

Still, she said of fighting for survival in Hollywood, "That's life. Everything has positive and negative consequences."

Back