5 yo teaching techniques

Wafa

Reaction score
I have a 5 Yo son who's profound deaf, I'm facing issues with teaching him as he gets stubborn sometime and tend to be forgetful.

I'd love if you can share your real life experience with me.

I have a 5 Yo son who's profound deaf, I'm facing issues with teaching him as he gets stubborn sometime and tend to be forgetful.

I'd love if you can share your real life experience with me.
How is his language? Does he understand what you are asking for?

@Wafa I can only tell you, that's what 5 yo are like. Mine is stubborn as hell and forgets even the smallest things you ask him to do, running around with his head in the clouds

Are you using sign with him or speech?

5 years old are like that. I have a nearly 17 month old son now. My sister in law has four kids from 5 year old to 13 years old and has to remind them constantly like don't forget to take your jacket with you. ;)

How is his language? Does he understand what you are asking for?

He's good at writing letters and words, but his lip reading is still in progress as i use both asl and lip reading with the assist of hearing aids

@Wafa I can only tell you, that's what 5 yo are like. Mine is stubborn as hell and forgets even the smallest things you ask him to do, running around with his head in the clouds

Are you using sign with him or speech?
Hahaha yeah i feel you.
I'm using both as i pronounce and sign at the same time.

5 years old are like that. I have a nearly 17 month old son now. My sister in law has four kids from 5 year old to 13 years old and has to remind them constantly like don't forget to take your jacket with you. ;)

God have mercy on us xD

He's good at writing letters and words, but his lip reading is still in progress as i use both asl and lip reading with the assist of hearing aids

Hahaha yeah i feel you.
I'm using both as i pronounce and sign at the same time.

God have mercy on us xD
When was the last time he had a full language assessment? One where they measure both the things he can understand (receptive language) and the things he says/signs (expressive language)? Is he in a class with a teacher of the deaf?

teach him in asl first so he can attract to the body language with the pictures to show. i grew up forced to speak with out any pictures and forbid to sign at home.. thats got me into problems at child-teen life. now i m learning to be happy to accept who am I... i sign ASL completely.

When was the last time he had a full language assessment? One where they measure both the things he can understand (receptive language) and the things he says/signs (expressive language)? Is he in a class with a teacher of the deaf?

He goes to a speech therapy center for the Deaf and HH only, since he was 2 years old and the teacher there do an assessment periodically

teach him in asl first so he can attract to the body language with the pictures to show. i grew up forced to speak with out any pictures and forbid to sign at home.. thats got me into problems at child-teen life. now i m learning to be happy to accept who am I... i sign ASL completely.

Yes, I've been using sign language as the primary communication method, the lip reading is an essential tool that he benefit from and it would be even better if he got able to pronounce words better.

He goes to a speech therapy center for the Deaf and HH only, since he was 2 years old and the teacher there do an assessment periodically

Yes, I've been using sign language as the primary communication method, the lip reading is an essential tool that he benefit from and it would be even better if he got able to pronounce words better.
And what do those assessments show?

Just wanted to say kudos.....it sounds like you're taking advantage of everything available. If speech is desired, then parents should utilize therapists who are very familiar with how to teach dhh kids. I think his speech will improve as time goes on. It just takes time.

Just remember a 5 year olds attention span is between 15 and 25 minutes. I personally would lean toward the 15 minute mark, so if trying to get him to do or learn something, after 15 minutes with no success, quit doing it and move on to something else.

Back