5-29-2015 Senior Deaf and Blind Community Update

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A non-profit retirement community for deaf, deaf-blind, and blind seniors is now under construction near the heart of charming downtown Morganton, NC home of the North Carolina School for the Deaf (NCSD).

Featuring independent living in affordable one and two-bedroom apartments. The fully developed Senior Deaf & Blind Community will have 63 rental units clustered around a free standing Community Center. Advanced technologies throughout will facilitate communication and assure safety and security.

The NCSD at Morganton Foundation, Inc. is developer and owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBgYQvJ7nvc&feature=youtu.be

This is wonderful! I don't think I can afford to live in this place when I become a senior. Would you live there?

Being a native of NC, and a grad of NCSD...Yes, I do believe I would...have been muellling about it since I saw the article...
NCSD was a beautiful campus....only thing I dislike about it, is the cold weather tho'. Feel sure many of my NCSD alumni's are gonna apply.

I didn't see did she say the price?

Not that I saw...she did say $1000 deposit, and if you changed ur mind, it would be refundable....
Morganton, NC is a nice town!...and the NCSD has rolling hills...lots of good memories there....beautiful sunsets and the mountains.
3 Floors....:hmm:...hope they have elevators ??...55 and over and wheelchair has the bottom floor with ramps....even washer & dryer connections in the unit...sounds all good.

World be a good source of Deaf role models. Aka surrogate grandparents for students at the school. I'm sure they would have lots of interesting stories to tell

Morganton is a really nice area- I visited there about 10 years ago when I applied for a job at the school for the Deaf.

Only other Senior living for Deaf & Deaf-Blind that I am aware of similar to this is the one up in Media PA (I've forgotten the name of it right now, I know it was changed when I worked at the residential facility campus where it is located) but it is closer to a "retirement"/nursing home than a community.

I looked at the website that was given out at the end of video. The price range is $850 to $1200 monthly.

Then there will be likely to have roommates to share the apartments. That is a lot of money to rent on just low income for Elders.

I would have to find a reasonable apartment to rent for Elders like me. It would be so nice to associate with the Deaf Community. :cool2:

If roommates share? IF? At that quoted upscale housing price it keeps the riff-raff and legions of unwashed out. In any case it is not worth 3/4 of my income, or a 1200 mile.move.

Back