SneakerNet

Retired
Premium Member
Reaction score
What dawn onto me... When I was talking to someone about my experience and I was trying to calculate how many years I've experiences in computer technology then I stopped for second... and realized that I hit 40 years. Starting with old teleprint (or teletype) machine with octal paper tape which I still have it today.

OctalTape.jpeg

To be continue... for maybe 4 or 5 more years.

Congratulations on your longevity! My dad worked for IBM for 31 years and when he started they were using punch cards and when he retired they had just released the IBM personal computer. He was hired as a tool and die maker and worked on the making the tooling for the original flying head disc drive in 1959-60 and finished his career as a Senior Associate something, something Engineer! IBM was known for their long titles!

Congratulations on your persistence. I have been a jack-of-all-trades longer than that, and computer technology still gives me hives. ;)

Looks familiar. I did teletype for a short while. Mostly on "computers" but we had two punch tape machines that we needed to use occasionally.

Thanks Guys.. Yeah after the paper tapes, punch card came next then 132 Characters DecWriter below, Then the green screen/monitor and quickly changed to grey background with white characters monitor. During the time with paper tape and punch cards, that is where I work with IBM 360/370. The black/white monitors was during the time I work with Digital Electronic Corporation (DEC) using PDP 11/45 11/70 machine. I was a Fortran 4 programmer to develop Statistic Package Library (Gotta learn all the statistic, Like Mean Square, Anova with F analysis.. etc.. Love it! NOT!)
At that time I was working in AFRRI in Bethesda, MD, Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, and that building is or was only one floor above ground and about 6 floor below. Gotta love to live near the highly radioactive storage, called Cobalt. And no, I'm not zombie. While I was there, that's where the color monitor came out (around 1980) and the rest is history.

1522529003867.png

Congratulations on your persistence. I have been a jack-of-all-trades longer than that, and computer technology still gives me hives. ;)

You are right... I was in jack-of-all-trades longer than the computer technology too! Start learning woodwork in Jr High School and continue on there. Here's my first wood work below, a book shelf. Then I rebuild cars, mostly British cars like MGB, Austin Healy, Spitfire etc...
Then did home renovation etc... Sorry off the track.... back to the subject!

1522530922200.png

Congratulations for your 40 years. :)

I remember using paper tapes in the Navy. :lol:

Wow.. just saw this thread as I hadn't really been on AD for the last 3 months (learning new languages-- Ruby, React, Rails... javascript... and all about Git-- GAH) Ahem.. sorry...

Congrats :) I've been around computers less than you- maybe...30-35 years starting out as a 'casual' user then diving into COBOL for Y2k- testing on green screens. And here I am still- learning newer web dev stuff (and currently looking for work if anyone has leads!!).

A friend of mine back in my first and only job pre IT used to work with the punch cards and she has told stories about that- especially the pain it was to put them all in order... then DROP them.. and put them in order again lol.

When I was talking to someone about my experience and I was trying to calculate how many years I've experiences in computer technology then I stopped for second... and realized that I hit 40 years.

Awesome! I would be at 17 years as far computer knowledge goes. Looking to learn programming because it seems so awesome to solve problems, etc. Congratulations and keep going.

Back