4 wheel drive problems

Ok little different here but anything on a 4x4 Liberty with a 3.7 engine? Reason I ask is I've got a friend with one and it was messing up and the dealer thought it was the head gasket until they got it into the shop. They ended up saying it was the cooling system and replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, and radiator cap too. I thought it was really odd all those would have to be replaced at the same time. Unless there was something in the coolant that boogered it all up? If thats the case I'm going to hate to see what happens to the engine down the road!

Ah now this makes sense. Yes, Grand Cherokee is very comfortable, yet powerful. My only issues with Grand Cherokee is that it is not as rugged and reliable as Cherokee.

My Cherokee has been the best vehicle I ever owned and still owns. 8 years of trouble free, never had that trouble-free for that long time.

I used to own 84 GMC S-15 and it was troublefree until 215K miles and it was smashed by hit and run bastard. I had that for 4 years, so can't say it is better than Cherokee. However I thought 95 GMC S-15 would be same thing, I found out dead wrong! 95 GMC S-15 is full of SHYT.

I like the comfort of the grand cherokees.

The grand I have out front is 94, and 95.

Interesting, maybe Cherokee does not like your area, who knows? :dunno:

Like I said few posts ago, that it is really personal preferance.

What is most common issues that you have seen on Cherokees?

Also are they (Cherokees) with issues were before 1993 model years?

Want to know what's ironic about all this??

I buy and fix up jeeps to resell.. Guess which has the most issues:

Cherokees. (Not Grand Cherokees.)

That is also the reason I find them for so cheap everywhere... Grand's not so much.

You guys scared away andy! :mad2:

Nah I'm still here. I just don't see anything constructive to add at the moment. I will say that I am going to have to go junk yard hoping cause no one in the area has the part I need for my jeep. I can buy one online but I don't want to wait on or pay for the shipping.

The GMC S-15 Jimmy is the same thing as the Chevy S-10 Blazer. I used to have a 88 4x4 blazer with a 2.8 and it was way under powered and had a 88 S-15 jimmy with the 4.3 and it would go anywhere or pull anything. Used to pull an tandem race car trailer with it loaded with a dirt track car. I now have a 2003 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 and its never given me a problem other than the thermostat going bad and I've put thousands of miles on it the past year or so. If I remember right they quick making the s-10 blazer in 2005 and went with the trailblazer.

Speaking of that Theromostat, yea that is same vehicle I accidently cracked the thermostat housing.

The GMC S-15 Jimmy is the same thing as the Chevy S-10 Blazer. I used to have a 88 4x4 blazer with a 2.8 and it was way under powered and had a 88 S-15 jimmy with the 4.3 and it would go anywhere or pull anything. Used to pull an tandem race car trailer with it loaded with a dirt track car. I now have a 2003 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 and its never given me a problem other than the thermostat going bad and I've put thousands of miles on it the past year or so. If I remember right they quick making the s-10 blazer in 2005 and went with the trailblazer.

Interesting, maybe Cherokee does not like your area, who knows? :dunno:

Like I said few posts ago, that it is really personal preferance.

What is most common issues that you have seen on Cherokees?

Also are they (Cherokees) with issues were before 1993 model years?

I dont see any issue with a specific year or such. But the lower end cherokees don't have tranny fluid cooler. If you have the towing package or "limited edition" it will have the cooling package.

Most common issue is power steering. You know that there is a recall on the brake system on the early 90s cherokee? I use that to get a brand new system :)

But again, the power steering issue is the same on grand cherokees as well. Both of them are on the same frame. Almost identical setup. Issues between them are pretty similar.

Nah I'm still here. I just don't see anything constructive to add at the moment. I will say that I am going to have to go junk yard hoping cause no one in the area has the part I need for my jeep. I can buy one online but I don't want to wait on or pay for the shipping.

napa doesnt have it?

Ok, Cherokee does not have frame, it is called Unibody, which means the frame is built in the body. Grand Cherokee has its own frame. I do not think both have same power steering system. I have to check out to see for myself.

On 2x4 model with 2.5L engine Cherokee sucks. I do not see Cherokee with 2.5L anymore. Apparently they were mostly already headed Junk yard.

I dont see any issue with a specific year or such. But the lower end cherokees don't have tranny fluid cooler. If you have the towing package or "limited edition" it will have the cooling package.

Most common issue is power steering. You know that there is a recall on the brake system on the early 90s cherokee? I use that to get a brand new system :)

But again, the power steering issue is the same on grand cherokees as well. Both of them are on the same frame. Almost identical setup. Issues between them are pretty similar.

Your not an idiot. Only real idiots don't come here and ask for help.

I found out that thermostat housing is pretty much same from 1991 to 2001 Cherokee regardless. They cost OEM for only 11 dollars, very typical for Jeep to have cheap parts.

NAPA sells it for 15 dollars Part number is BK 6051754

Dont forget the gasket (Its ok to forget about gasket sealant).

I'm an idiot. I forgot about Napa. Just checked their website and they have a part called a water outlet that came up when I searched for thermostat housing. It looks like it is the same thing. Here is the link Store Locator | NAPA Online

I'm an idiot. I forgot about Napa. Just checked their website and they have a part called a water outlet that came up when I searched for thermostat housing. It looks like it is the same thing. Here is the link Store Locator | NAPA Online
Correct. Some vehicles have more than one outlet housings, Example Asian vehicles have 2 outlet housings if you order a water outlet housing, they ask you which is at head or at thermostat housing or which hose connect to the outlet? You can name outlet housing, from upper radiator hose to T-stat housing, then they pick right outlet housing for you. Many overcounter people at the part stores,are not expert with the parts.

How did you crack it?

T-stat is slipping from 2nd boss and got sandwiched betwwen outlet housing and mating surface such as head or T-stat housing while tighten bolts/nuts. Common problem is on side of the T-stat housings. I broken an outlet housing on GM V8, the 2nd boss is on top of the inatke manifold that easy fix but I made a mistake for not pay attention on T-stat position in the 2nd boss. Sandwiched. On newer GM use rubber O seal gasket to rim the new T-stat and install in the 2nd boss, no gasket used on the outlet housing. Cool design and no more cracked outlets.

Overtighten, at that time I wonder why I always have leak with new gasket along with gasket sealant. Now I know, gasket sealant is a no no with new gasket.

Ah. You should use a torque wrench. I alway use torque wrench for engines, transmissions, and suspensions to avoid from break gasket and nut/bolt.

I was kid back then :) Over time I learn and have done better job. Once I learn about gasket thing, I never had leaks since then. It worked with charm.

Ah. You should use a torque wrench. I alway use torque wrench for engines, transmissions, and suspensions to avoid from break gasket and nut/bolt.

Back