4 wheel drive problems

My girlfriend's Jeep has SelecTrac (I think) transfer case. Options are:
  • 2wd
  • full-time 4wd. Same as AWD. Can be used on/off pavement and has a central differentail. This is high range only (as far as I know).
  • 4x4. This locks the center differential and is for off-road and only for part time use. This is both high and low range.
It's a 2002 Grand Cherokee. Has the 4.0l engine. I don't think it is very uncommon for Grand Cherokees and Cherokees to have this type of transfer case.

5bd4iu.jpg

This is manual transmission AWD with differential and no transfer case need.

xpcv1y.jpg

This is 4x4 use transmission with transfer case

How to be full-time 4x4 same as AWD?

I just researched, and interesting. AWD and full time 4x4 is almost same function. The only difference between AWD and full time 4x4 is that AWD do not offer Low gear that full time 4x4 offers.

All wheel drive (AWD) is almost the same thing as full time 4WD - it is a system that powers all four wheels of a vehicle at all times as well. It can be used full time on all surfaces including pavement like full time 4WD. Difference to full time 4WD is that a "4-low" setting is not available in AWD cars. Due to the lack of "low range", AWD vehicles are much less capable in off-road settings than full time 4WD vehicles, but work perfectly well on-road.

What is the difference between full time four wheel drive, all wheel drive versus automaticall wheel drive (on-demand system)

5bd4iu.jpg

xpcv1y.jpg

Awesome, still have both? Curious which do you like better? Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? What year? I never own Grand Cherokee, however rode them yes. They are nice riding.

Yes I still have both. I have had more than 15 jeeps... I like the Grand Cherokees better.

I just researched, and interesting. AWD and full time 4x4 is almost same function. The only difference between AWD and full time 4x4 is that AWD do not offer Low gear that full time 4x4 offers.

All wheel drive (AWD) is almost the same thing as full time 4WD - it is a system that powers all four wheels of a vehicle at all times as well. It can be used full time on all surfaces including pavement like full time 4WD. Difference to full time 4WD is that a "4-low" setting is not available in AWD cars. Due to the lack of "low range", AWD vehicles are much less capable in off-road settings than full time 4WD vehicles, but work perfectly well on-road.

What is the difference between full time four wheel drive, all wheel drive versus automaticall wheel drive (on-demand system)

Yes, I know about that. It just said "almost" same but AWD don't have drive chain at all.

I already explained about this.

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - 4 wheel drive problems

Yeah, I just read it. I agree with you. I got nothing against Subby but it is not in for me. I like the "Orignals". Even though you said its more mainteance with 4x4 than AWD which I heard true but my experience differ. I never had problem with 4x4. You were right that it is a no no for AWD when it comes to haul, push or pull. I do these sometimes, that is why I stick with 4x4 instead of AWD.

What I learn from long time friend that is mechanic. He said it is mostly personal preferance. Some cars are perfect for some people while it isn't for others, and other cars are just the opposite. For example, you may have great experience with Subby while I had bad experience with, while other cars that I had great experience but you had bad experience. There is no such thing as one vehicle fits all.

Yes, I know about that. It just said "almost" same but AWD don't have drive chain at all.

I already explained about this.

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - 4 wheel drive problems

I see why you prefer Grand Cherokee. 92 and earlier Cherokee is not that great. They are full of problems especially with Carbs, believe it or not it was made by Ford. In 93 Chrysler decided to change from Carb to Fuel Injector which actually improved big time.

What about Grand Cherokees, which year?

Cherokee: 1989->1995, '98, '99.
The one in the backyard currently is a '92

Why not drink beer and be merry? :cheers: We are here to talk like real Americans that can't live without one thing... its called "set of 4 wheels". ;)

I no want to start wars here. If he does not want to answer then let him. He already answered my questions, and I am cool.

Because you was not clear enough. There is need to continue till clear.

They behave the same on the road...AWD and full-time 4x4 can be used on dry pavement. I know there are mechanical differences, but they function the same.

Why not drink beer and be merry? :cheers: We are here to talk like real Americans that can't live without one thing... its called "set of 4 wheels". ;)

I no want to start wars here. If he does not want to answer then let him. He already answered my questions, and I am cool.

Maybe he dislike non-american person like me. :aw:

Maybe he dislike non-american person like me. :aw:

Don't pull that stuff, please. It doesn't do your image any good. This is a forum, all I see are words, I don't even know what you look like.

edit: unless you mean you buy non-american...
That doesnt matter either.

I see why you prefer Grand Cherokee. 92 and earlier Cherokee is not that great. They are full of problems especially with Carbs, believe it or not it was made by Ford. In 93 Chrysler decided to change from Carb to Fuel Injector which actually improved big time.

What about Grand Cherokees, which year?

I like the comfort of the grand cherokees.

The grand I have out front is 94, and 95.

Want to know what's ironic about all this??

I buy and fix up jeeps to resell.. Guess which has the most issues:

Cherokees. (Not Grand Cherokees.)

That is also the reason I find them for so cheap everywhere... Grand's not so much.

Back